Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gowesty temp gauge calibration
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Gowesty temp gauge calibration Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Assuming all is working properly in my cooling system and I want to adjust the gauge reading...anyone know which direction to adjust the small screw in the GW product to lower it?

Thanks,
Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty temp gauge calibration Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

A useful trick when adjusting something with a screw is noting how the screw is at the beginning, and adjust through 1/2-turns steps.
For example, once your van is at temp as per GW's kit instructions, turn the screw one full reolution (one full turn) clockwise. See how the gauge needle reacts. If nothing, keep going, another revolution. At one point the needle should be affected, and you'll know in which direction.
And with this trick, at any point in time you can come back to the original settings. in our example, if you go back two revolutions anti-clockwise, you'll be back where you started.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty temp gauge calibration Reply with quote

The full adjustment range is less than 1 full turn! (3/4)

Full counter clockwise is maximum "adjustment" toward a lower needle position reading.

Mark
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty temp gauge calibration Reply with quote

Thanks Mark!

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty temp gauge calibration Reply with quote

Just made the adjustment and it was at the "high" setting. I'll see what happens next text drive. It's fresh stock rebuild and my rebuilder suggested it likely has a good ground for the first time in a long while. Smile

Brian

bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty temp gauge calibration Reply with quote

Update!

The adjustment is actually counter clockwise on mine to get a lower reading on the needle. Full clockwise got me a needle spike and blinking light. There was no overheat issue at all and once I made the adjustment all was fine.

Brian

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty temp gauge calibration Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Full counter clockwise is maximum "adjustment" toward a lower needle position reading.

Mark
puchfinnland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty temp gauge calibration Reply with quote

mine seems to work
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty temp gauge calibration Reply with quote

How did I read that, that many times wrong. Smile

Sorry man.

Update...what Mark said.

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty temp gauge calibration Reply with quote

How do you calibrate the temp? In other words, where are you taking the temp reading? I was just shooting an IR gun all over the place, hoses, radiator, etc. and for such a variance, even on feed to radiator at diff places, that I’m
Not sure what the “true” reading is.

Further compounded by the reflectivity of the surface affects the reading.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Gowesty temp gauge calibration Reply with quote

Honestly I'm assuming a lot with my readings. The engine has been rebuilt by an expert rebuilder so my confidence is extremely high. When I adjusted, improperly, the resistor from GW it was to just get a lower reading on the needle. When it spiked due to adjusting it the wrong way the engine wasn't hot. It was over 30 Celsius here yesterday and I could put my hand on both hoses at the thermostat housing. Adjusting the screw the proper way to lower(counter clockwise) the needle has it just below or touching the light.

I haven't done any IR readings and everything is based on running this van and a stock engine for 12 summers.

Brian

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gowesty temp gauge calibration Reply with quote

bjrogers86auto wrote:
I haven't done any IR readings and everything is based on running this van and a stock engine for 12 summers.,

Yeah, you are likely fine, in the case of those with engine conversions (and some with stock WBX), it would be nice to know the actual temperature in F or C.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: