Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wheel offsets - Another variation !
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

As found when discussing various other aspects of my 1970 Aussie built (or CKD) car, I have some oddballs in the mix. This next one is at least partly due to the PO, methinks !

Getting my wheels sandblasted and repainted, I have found the following mix of wheel sizes / dimensions.

3 wheels are 4.5 x 15", ET 46
1 wheel is 4.5 x 15", ET 41
1 wheel is 4 x 15", ET 46 I think.

Forget the 4 x 15 wheel - That is obviously a Beetle wheel and is the PO's input. Evil or Very Mad

For the other 4.5" wheels, can I run with one ET41 and 3 ET 46's, at least while I look for another ET46 wheel ? What will be the effect ?

It may be feasible to save money and just keep the ET41 wheel as a spare ? Is that feasible ? How much difference does that extra 5 mm make on the car ?

Or should they all DEFINITELY be ET 46's ?

Your advice appreciated,
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

Sorta the same here. Currently running the ET 46 on the rear and ET 41 on the front. Have a couple of ET 46 that do to the PO are not true, you know slightly bent. To get them straightened is a ridiculous price.
As mentioned I run the same wheel offset on the same axles front and rear.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
As found when discussing various other aspects of my 1970 Aussie built (or CKD) car, I have some oddballs in the mix. This next one is at least partly due to the PO, methinks !

Getting my wheels sandblasted and repainted, I have found the following mix of wheel sizes / dimensions.

3 wheels are 4.5 x 15", ET 46
1 wheel is 4.5 x 15", ET 41

Forget the 4 x 15 wheel - That is obviously a Beetle wheel and is the PO's input. Evil or Very Mad

For the other 4.5" wheels, can I run with one ET41 and 3 ET 46's, at least while I look for another ET46 wheel ? What will be the effect ?

It may be feasible to save money and just keep the ET41 wheel as a spare ? Is that feasible ? How much difference does that extra 5 mm make on the car ?

Or should they all DEFINITELY be ET 46's ?

Your advice appreciated,

The ET41 rim is a Super beetle rim. It can make clearances between the tire and fender close. You could use it for a spare, but I'd prefer to keep all 5 rims the same (at least for your road trip). I'd definitely look for a pair of T-3 rims in the mean time, and use what you have for now.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

Quote:

Forget the 4 x 15 wheel - That is obviously a Beetle wheel and is the PO's input.
The "orange" Bentley repair manual for '70 thru '74 Type 1 lists the 4.0" wheel as 40 mm offset.

My preference for staggered wheel offsets, if I had to do that, would be to put the more "deep dish" ones (lower ET number) on the rear.

Bobnotch and I have had a full set of 5.5" "deep dish" (low offset/ET number) 4-lug wheels on our Type 3s, with no tire clearance issues. The 4.5" ET46 wheel for Type 3 makes the Type 3 look like it has "buck teeth"- those wheels move the tire far inward from the wheelwell edge. If you can find 3 other ET41 wheels and paint them all the same, that would help the appearance somewhat. Better yet would be a set of 4 ET34 rims which came on 1973 Type 1. Those bring the tires out nearly 1/2" closer to the wheelwell edge than an ET46, giving the car a more "stable" appearance.

gt1953: I just had a productive experience straightening an original German Beetle steel rim using 9" vise grips. The rear edge of the wheel was not only bent inward (sideways, from a sideswipe) slightly, but also the edge had some upward dents/bends (ran over something). Took around an hour. Afterwards, the tire shop installed a new 165/80 tire, and did not need any wheel balance weights Cool . I felt no shimmying on the first drive in my Beetle, going at all speeds. I've prepared some photos of the process for creating a new thread.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

Yes, the 4" wheel may well have an ET of 40. By that stage I had lost interest in that wheel - Other than to try to sell it to recoup some $$$ !!
Have found a 4 1/2" x 15 x 46 ET wheel, so I now have a set of 4 all the same. Will keep the 4 1/2" x ET 41 wheel purely as a spare.
G
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Yes, the 4" wheel may well have an ET of 40. By that stage I had lost interest in that wheel - Other than to try to sell it to recoup some $$$ !!
Have found a 4 1/2" x 15 x 46 ET wheel, so I now have a set of 4 all the same. Will keep the 4 1/2" x ET 41 wheel purely as a spare.
G

Sounds like a good plan to me Giles.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

Photo of new Chinese wheel which arrived this morning - Cheaper than getting original wheels refurbished !! Off right now to get my tires - Nankang Retro RC 001 165 R15 - Great looking (look like Michelins), low cost, white wall stripe (to go with my period rear window venetian blind and front window mesh visor !! Engine goes in next week, and hopefully the doors will get done next week too ! Nearly there !!
G
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

New wheels and tires look great- I hope they work out well for you. I was not aware that Nankang offers WSW wires in the VW size- My recent research with at least 4 tire sources only showed the usual BSW.

As to the wheels- too late now that the tires are on- early last year I decided I wanted similar wheels for my '77 Beetle. I called my usual VW parts supplier with whom I've done significant business in the last 15 years, and who would be able to order and send me a set of the EMPI-brand repro painted stock wheels. Supplier advised me not to buy them, because they have found some that were out of round- brand new-. So I did not buy them, and instead looked for good used original German wheels. As it turned out, at the first local VW meet last year, I found a set of 4 NOS German aftermarket wheels (1 Suedrad and 3 Kronprinz) for very reasonable money. Unfortunately they were 4.0" wide instead of the 4.5" I wanted, but since these were primarily for just rolling the car around the driveway, they'd be fine.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Photo of new Chinese wheel which arrived this morning - Cheaper than getting original wheels refurbished !! Off right now to get my tires - Nankang Retro RC 001 165 R15 - Great looking (look like Michelins), low cost, white wall stripe (to go with my period rear window venetian blind and front window mesh visor !! Engine goes in next week, and hopefully the doors will get done next week too ! Nearly there !!
G

Those look pretty good together. Should go well with your color.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

My clamped on OZ visor blew off passing an 18 wheel truck!
I had to drill/screw it to the rain gutter to keep it on. Idea

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

Mike, if it was really an OZ (Made in Australia) visor, it probably blew off because it was used to being on the LHS of the road, and the wind came from the wrong side Laughing

Mine is screwed on. Hopefully this is enough.......It was screwed on previously and seems to have survived .
G

Last edited by Qldelsie on Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
New wheels and tires look great- I hope they work out well for you. I was not aware that Nankang offers WSW wires in the VW size- My recent research with at least 4 tire sources only showed the usual BSW.

As to the wheels- too late now that the tires are on- early last year I decided I wanted similar wheels for my '77 Beetle. I called my usual VW parts supplier with whom I've done significant business in the last 15 years, and who would be able to order and send me a set of the EMPI-brand repro painted stock wheels. Supplier advised me not to buy them, because they have found some that were out of round- brand new-. So I did not buy them, and instead looked for good used original German wheels. As it turned out, at the first local VW meet last year, I found a set of 4 NOS German aftermarket wheels (1 Suedrad and 3 Kronprinz) for very reasonable money. Unfortunately they were 4.0" wide instead of the 4.5" I wanted, but since these were primarily for just rolling the car around the driveway, they'd be fine.

Rome, If I find a German wheel at a swap meet sometime, I will buy it. But I needed a wheel to get me on the road as I only had 3 with the 46 ET. The workmanship on the new wheel is not brilliant, with sharp eges on the inside of the cut outs, etc. Sad
G
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Rome wrote:

Rome, If I find a German wheel at a swap meet sometime, I will buy it. But I needed a wheel to get me on the road as I only had 3 with the 46 ET. The workmanship on the new wheel is not brilliant, with sharp eges on the inside of the cut outs, etc. :(
G

Did you measure the offset and compared to the factory rim? Just saying .....
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

Yes - ET 46.
G
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Wheel offsets - Another variation ! Reply with quote

Tvättbjörn wrote:
Qldelsie wrote:
Rome wrote:

Rome, If I find a German wheel at a swap meet sometime, I will buy it. But I needed a wheel to get me on the road as I only had 3 with the 46 ET. The workmanship on the new wheel is not brilliant, with sharp eges on the inside of the cut outs, etc. Sad
G

Did you measure the offset and compared to the factory rim? Just saying .....

You can 'measure' for ET 46 w/1X2 17" wood gauge.
If it hits the hubcap hump sliding across the rim then it's ET 46, but ET 41 will clear it.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: