Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seamus-77 westy resto
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Good week to be in the shop with all the shifty weather, nice progress, Jay!
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Been busy coupleweeks but glad to get cracking on the front beam rebuild.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The steering pin was an easy piece of work with the beam out of bus and in a vise. Just used a spark plug socket and drove the two VERY dry and unlubricated shitty old bushings right out. Took very little effort with the hammer.

Striped the rest of parts like bolts and grease fittings. Started to clean old grease from inside. Will pressure wash and wire brush the outer tomorrow and then off to my buddys welding shop for the tube crack repair. Decided to let him do it rather than me waste a couple hours of spattering birdshit weld just to have to take it to him later anyways. “A mans gotta know his limitations” Dirty Harry.

Got the wrong size needle bearing from Busdepot. Not too impressed with them anymore. Had several other problems in the past, but couldnt find anyone else selling them. In the end, theyre selling the wrong ones anyways. Back to the internet for a correct part somewhere else I guess. Heres what I need, not what I got though.

Will be cleaning and removing balljoints from arms while tube is at welders. Need to order Balljoints still. Think im gonna stick with the Nakatas. They seem to have the better feedback vs. other brands lately.

Looking for an old electric oven to set up for powdercoating in the garage.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:

Got the wrong size needle bearing from Busdepot. Not too impressed with them anymore. Had several other problems in the past.

i'll only use them in desperation anymore. just got an order with million dollar koni's….they destroyed the boxes....literally compressed the shocks all the way, folded the fuckers over and jammed them into one of those shitty 'yellow' Chinese boxes...you know the ones....and they cut that thing up like a pizza to make it smaller and probably spent 87.00 in tape to hold the whole abortion together. anyway, zero packing material so the other shit in the box was slamming around. but I got a sticker Rolling Eyes

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

I take that back...

there was a piece of butchers paper in there.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Plus $10 off your next order!

That fixes everything

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Plus $10 off your next order!

That fixes everything

Next order coupons and free shipping, the retail opioids.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

After sleeping on it and staring at the beam for an hour this morning, it was decided to get the hybrid hippie splitty off its blocks and rolled it into the garage for beam removal.

With at least one cracked torsion tube end, gouged torsion arm, worn inner torsion arm and bearing on the other side, decided its worth the trouble to pull this one out and strip down. Hopefully between the two of them, I can salvage a good beam, and/or any other parts needed for Seamus.

What sucks is that all the broke and junk shit will have to get reinstalled into Blue just to get it back out of the garage before this weekend.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:

What sucks is that all the broke and junk shit will have to get reinstalled into Blue just to get it back out of the garage before this weekend.

Laughing Laughing

I was sitting here telling myself that before I finished reading.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Got some good with some bad today on the replacement beam. The good definitely outweighs the bad however.

The good: 4 very nice torsion arms with no damage and all OG ball joints tight and boots intact. Just saved a shitload of time, money, and concern about installing aftermarket joints.

The bad: a couple small holes in the bottom of the beam box structure on one side. Small enough to scab patch over and carry on though.

Feel much better than what I was up against with Seamus’s old beam; cracked needle bearing boss area, and 3 inner bushings that needed replacement.

Also found two uncracked set of torsion leaves. They are going On the shelf.

All the damaged pieces, sans the leaves, go back under Blue to keep it a roller.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Its been a few weeks since ive had time to work on my own rig. Busy with ryans motor, and now daughters tintop. Finally got my beam welded up (ryans handi-work), and cleaned up.

Before he welded up the bottoms, I poured some ospho in and sloshed it around over a couple days. He welded in some patches and ground everything out.

Then the fun came when I took it to my neighbors job. He runs a heavy equipment manufacturing plant. While the plant is shut down for a few weeks and all his employees are away, the mice will play.

Beam hooked to the trolly and headed into a heavy duty, industrial sandblaster. AWESOME!

Once it come out, we flipped it over and sent it back in for a second pass.

We then tried sending a wheel through.

It did a nice job, but the pressure from eight blast heads, knocked it around inside like a pinball. Didnt want to press my luck and fuck his machine up, so these will have to be done old-school.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Better shot of beam weld areas after blasting

Red sky morning over the mountains today.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Got beam all cleaned up and painted. Starting reassembly. First was the swing lever and new pin set. Gonna put leaves back in and then time to remount on bus.

Got a feeling this will be coming back out in a couple years. Had plans to do all the underbelly stripping and painting, but the seasons are so short, and the salt is off the roads. Time to ride.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Can’t stress enough to clean out that beam before you reassemble.

Sand is forever.. The eternal sands of time..

Unless you figure out a slick way to clean inside there,
A grain or three will find your freshly-greased rollers or bushings..

High-pressure soap/water? Solvent tank soak?
Something about bits of leftover grease in there.. And then sand.. BTDT.

What’s That Noise?!?
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Took Seamus out for a visit with friends. First chance at some live music at a friends place, just a few miles down the road.

Great time with some old and new friends. Most people came up from places down south. We were one of about 3 locally. The 76 westy has been done by the owner overbthe last dozen years. Its a gem.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Seamus was pulled out of the snow back in March and was tooled around town on and off since then. Christ, were still getting snow as of last week.

Have picked up a hiccup that I started to feel last year, but pressed on as the season was getting late. Have gone through all the normal checks of timing, valve lash, points and condensor, fp, etc. its running ok, but every now and then when you just barely come off the throttle, and I dont mean decelerate, just come out of the pedal, it has a slight sensation as if someone is flicking the ignition on and off rapidly. Not enough to slow me down or cause panic, but its there and I can feel it.

Thought about maybe a wear spot on AFM wiper bars, but dont see any obvious areas of deformation.

Decided that since Emilys bus Crusher is in garage for prolonged period of metal work, that her rebuilt motor sitting under the bench needs to be run and broke in anyways, so today is drop day.

Not bad, 2 hours to drop. Made 2 major “rookie” mistakes though. 1st was that I was blocked up about 2 inches short of clearing the back. The other dumber one was that I forgot about the hanger bolts. Doh! For as many times as ive pulled these engines, still get bit in the ass. Only a couple minute delay, but still feels stupid.

Crusher probably wont get this motor in her till next year, so I might as well throw some miles and shake things out here at home before it goes out west on its own.

Probably wont get it running this week as im gonna spend some time redoing shift tube, cv’s, heater cables, and a few other things before install. Also headed to Georgia for another parts run in the woods.

Will be nice to feel the difference from old, honed, wore out p&c’s and cam, to new ones.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Good call, that new motor needs some miles on it Smile. No better place to break it in than the north country.

Waiting for replacement s-boot then I’ll be on the road. Maybe a shakedown in the old stomping grounds next month. I still owe you a rack beer Smile.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Shit, i got s-boots. Need one now? Come get one of mine.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Thanks,I might do that. Spent the day dealing with no charge issues Sad it’s been a hot minute since your visit, I really need to get ver to the Whitefield ranch:)
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Got about 500 miles on the new motor. From first light off its been running great. Ran around town and through the mountains over to Maine and back and it was pulling well at 60-70 mph.

Noticed a drop off in my top of gear speeds though. The last couple days have seemed a little sluggish. Decided to check compression.

Rut-ro! Number 3 looking pretty weak! A quick valve adjustment and all better at 125. Exhaust was tight. In fact most valves were tight. Got em all to .006” and top end performance is back. 130-125-125-130.

Oil light is flickering at idle after a hard run. Already changed the oil once at 50 miles, but its time to change again and get the break in 30 wt oil out of there. Cut the filter open and found just the usual engine build up material inside. Also gonna pull the op relief valve and spring and make sure the passage is all clear and that looks ok.

Ready to road trip around new england for the summer. Wife says she will help scuff up the yellow panels and rattle can them to match the front. She doesnt like driving around all ghetto like the way it looks now. We’ll see if she follows through on that one. School is about to let out, so no more excuses about time.

Gonna be at some concerts and gatherings in New England area this summer. If anyone sees us, stop bye for a beer.

Tedeschi Trucks. Shelburne VT
Warren Haynes Swanzey NH
West River Westies VT?
Deerfield NH VW show
Boogie and Blues Fest Thornton NH
Grateful Campout Thomas Point Beach Maine

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Yeh, it wasn’t sluggish Sunday for sure Smile. Has she noticed the bus in the basement yet lol?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: