Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ball Joint Fix
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Ball Joint Fix Reply with quote

So I had my ball joint go out and did not want to pay 260.00 for 1 and be a slave to rare parts . I found a Mercedes Benz that would work from a 2001-2012 CL600 part # 211 330 04 35 all I had to do is get a reamer 1:10 part#130324-kit from Trail-Gear,inc.for $90.00 you can get them cheeper but iI wanted it fast .the next thing I had to do is machine the old one out that got done at a local Jiffy machine shop $80.00 the part cost me $30.00 total $200.00. NOW i can do the other side for $110.00 and all future ball joint are $30.00 and not hard to find .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Fix Reply with quote

I love it!...you are working along the same lines I have been working toward!

A few years back I posted some bits and pieces about using one or more ball joints from this company:
Howe racing

https://howeracing.com/collections/howe-precision-ball-joints

They have an endless rage of ball joints...very heavy duty....totally rebuildable with a snap ring...all have larger and heavier ball studs and you will have to ream the control arm hole...all are greaseable and have boots available .

They have models that are also flanged on either top or bottom...and could press into our re-machined castings from the top....trapping the joint between the bottom of the strut and the casting housing.

These are not the exact ones I am looking at but are just examples from their site.

Press in joint

Screw in joint

A variety of different stud lengths, diameters and taper are available ....and all parts are replaceable.

This is a back burner project of mine because I do not need them yet.

But VERY nice work!
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Fix Reply with quote

Great work Gents!

Constant parts innovation. It’s the only way to keep our somewhat unusual VW’s going.

Best regards,

Rob
vwrenault
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Fix Reply with quote

Thanks Ray It toke 2 weeks to find the ball joint that would work .I live 10 miles from Howe racing and that was my last resort .Now I have to do the Radius arm center ring mod you have posted .looking for a ball joint core so i can do the other side and not have my car down i daly drive my 411. Very Happy
hulken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ball Joint Fix Reply with quote

Nice job! THe Mercedes is a heavy car, so I guess it is heavy duty for our lighter cars.
You removed the original joint, machined it and pressed it in from the front?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: