Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb trouble
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stefan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Carb trouble Reply with quote

Hi, I am trying to get my 69 beetle engine running smoothly but are struggling to do so and hope to get some advice here in the forum. Just purchased the Buggy with the 69 engine it has a single port intake manifold and the carburettor seems to be new.
I am not able to adjust the idle speed properly, idle is pretty high even when both set screws (idle and fuel mixture) are almost closed completely.
I discovered this little tube sticking out of the intake manifold below the carburettor and when I closed it with a rubber plug I was able to adjust the idle quite nicely, unfortunately the following day when the engine was cold again it won't start up and fuel is dripping from the joints of the exhaust.
Does this tube need to be open ore closed and what else do you recommend to take a look at?
I am looking forward to your comments, thank you!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
katalla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

that tube should be closed off, fuel dripping from the exhaust sounds like it got flooded, might need to check the fuel pressure to make sure it isnt to high.
when its flooded press the gas pedal all the way down and hold it, dont pump it, and then crank the engine
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

You also need to check that the needle and seat, and float height are adjusted, and working properly. In my buggy, I had a time when I parked it nose up in my very steep driveway, and this put the gas tank high enough, that gravity took fuel to the carb, and my needle and seat where apparently marginal, and my crankcase filled with gas overnite.
Stefan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

Great thank you I will close off the pipe. Now I am one step further just took the carb off and opened it up. (it is certainly not new!) the float compartment is pretty dirty and the float itself is 2/3 full with gasoline! I don't believe this is normal but certainly could be the reason for the flooding.
I probably get a new carb before start messing with the old one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1968BUGMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

I have a similar tube on the manifolds of my dual carbs, it helps to balance air flow. You have a single carb so I'm not entirely sure what it is for, but if you don't have something covering it it is just a huge intake leak.
Installing a Stereo Into a Classic VW | https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9502179#9502179
Stefan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

The float was the problem, it looks like the Carb is a cheap knock off and the float was taking on fuel so it wasn't a float anymore. Luckily I had an old carb where I could use the float. Now the engine starts up nicely and I can work on the idle and fuel mixture screws.
But first I make an oil change there is way to much oil mixed with gasoline in the engine, the dip stick is showing 6-7mm over max.
thank you for your support!
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

I was going to ask what carb are you working with. I recently had a float problem with mine and eventually just got a new carb after I learned the bowl was cracked also. Problem solved.
Stefan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

What carb did you purchase? I am still considering getting a new one and noticed they start at $ 60 and I am not so sure a cheap one will do it.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

The best cheap one I have found is redline. The import the webers into the country. They import 34 PICT 3 carburetors taking them apart and setting everything up correctly
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryohey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb trouble Reply with quote

The tube is vacuum for the altitude adjustor on a 69

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: