Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air cooled or water cooled bay
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
terenzio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cooled or water cooled bay Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
If you were to get a water cooled with a shot engine you could always go Suby. The plumbing and radiator are already there.

Didn't know...now I will research on the Subaru engine. Very interesting. What are the advantages of putting a Subaru engine rather than the 1.8L VW one? And what model engine are you referring to?
terenzio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cooled or water cooled bay Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
If you were to get a water cooled with a shot engine you could always go Suby. The plumbing and radiator are already there.

Didn't know...now I will research on the Subaru engine. Very interesting. What are the advantages of putting a Subaru engine rather than the 1.8L VW one? And what model engine are you referring to?
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cooled or water cooled bay Reply with quote

The Suby uses a flat four configuration. I AM NO EXPERT but engines in a 2.0-2.5 configuration that are 15-25 years old seem to be used often. New short blocks are affordable and rebuilt heads are to be had too.
I have been intrigued by the Suby swaps for some time now.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cooled or water cooled bay Reply with quote

If you can source a good one at a good price from family in Mexico - then you have a leg up. Much more risk involved if you don't know the country or don't have any trusted contacts there.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cooled or water cooled bay Reply with quote

If I already had a water cooled Mexican bus I would use the Mk 3 Golf ABA 2.0 block and a 1.8 Mk1 GTI head (big valves) with the Mk1 GTI CIS mechanical fuel injection. Pretty much bulletproof.

Here is another thought for which I do not have a definitive answer. The 1.8 Mexican engine uses a fuel injection system very similar to the one we here in Canada had on the 93-95 Mk3 Golf 1.8 standard model. It was basically a throttle body injection system. Not as reliable as the CIS from my personal experience. I don't believe the USA ever got the 1.8 in the Mk3 Golf.

Could the ABA 2.0 block sit under the Mexican head with the stock FI system? I do not know if they would bolt up or if the Mexican FI system would work on the Mk1 GTI head. Could that single injector be tuned for the larger engine? I stlll like the CIS system. It was totally reliable for me in over 500,000 kilometers.

Might be a question to pose over on the VW Vortex site.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cooled or water cooled bay Reply with quote

As an addendum to my post the fellow to ask is Antonio Trejo in Mexico City. He will know the answer(s) as to the interchangeability of the various head/block/ FI system combos for the water cooled bus.
Ohio_Style
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Air cooled or water cooled bay Reply with quote

Watercooled opens you up to using literally any 4 or 5 cylinder watercooled VW engine produced from the 70s to now. the bellhousing is the same on all of them. So if the engine did fail, there are a huge number of options

Slammed Thing
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9278729#9278729
Lifted Split Bus Build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738403
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Air cooled or water cooled bay Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:
with the Mk1 GTI CIS mechanical fuel injection. Pretty much bulletproof.

Might be a question to pose over on the VW Vortex site.

have you priced out a working CIS system? the parts are just not out there like they were. besides...modern FI is way more pleasurable to drive. you can buy used CIS stuff cheap...85% of it will be junk by now

we're in what...2020 now? why would you do a swap an go backwards on the technology?

I cut my teeth on CIS systems, so I know them very well. I ripped all that stuff out of my rabbit truck...it's now a 1.8t. OBD2 is a beautiful thing.

I would put a carburetor on something before I used CIS.

go over to vortex, the mk1-mk2 forums....it's DEAD over there. not slow...DEAD. you can post and come back a week later and you're 5 posts down on the first page kind of dead.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
terenzio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Air cooled or water cooled bay Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:

Wow. Didn't know about the Subaru option. Will do some research! Thanks!
terenzio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Air cooled or water cooled bay Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
If you can source a good one at a good price from family in Mexico - then you have a leg up. Much more risk involved if you don't know the country or don't have any trusted contacts there.

Infact I am fortunate enough to have family there and I found 2001 water cooled buses for around $2000 CAD. Seems a good starting point leave some space for improvements or repairs.
terenzio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Air cooled or water cooled bay Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can find the manuals for the mexican watercooled bay?

I've searched in the forum but had no luck.

Thanks in advance!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: