Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Maintenance cards in manuals switch over?
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Maintenance cards in manuals switch over? Reply with quote

I'm trying to determine when the switch over went for having the maintenance cards (perforated squares to rip off when you have your maintenance checks, like "300 miles," "3000 miles," etc) in separate "Service booklet"s to having them in the back of manuals.

It seems like I can't find early 67 Beetle instruction manuals with the cards in the back, but I can find late 67 Beetle instruction manuals with cards in the back. And how late were the separate books printed? I can find them up to 64, but I can't find one with a print date after. Thoughts?

What is the difference between Service Booklet 1 and Service Booklet 2?

Am I just babbling? That happens.

Anyone have an early 67 or late 66 owner's manual who can say if they had a service booklet or maintenance cards in the back?
ISO Albuquerque "Imported Motors" dealership paraphernalia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Maintenance cards in manuals switch over? Reply with quote

I did find this, which suggests 67 would be the turnover point. So, maybe the changover happened in mid 67. What the difference in the two service booklets, though (Service Booklet 1 and Service Booklet 2)? Did VW just decide to upgrade a number when enough changes were made, or did people get both with their car?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=413033&highlight=service+booklet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Maintenance cards in manuals switch over? Reply with quote

You can look at the owner's manuals on the site to see what appears in the manuals for what date.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type1.php

Judging by my various owner's manuals packets I have collected, you got #1 and only #2 later. Most packets that I believe are pretty complete only have a #1 included.

#2 is for mileage past 30,000 or if you lose book #1.

A couple pics
Cover:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and inside explanation:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Maintenance cards in manuals switch over? Reply with quote

harrymarlin wrote:
I'm trying to determine when the switch over went for having the maintenance cards (perforated squares to rip off when you have your maintenance checks, like "300 miles," "3000 miles," etc) in separate "Service booklet"s to having them in the back of manuals.

It seems like I can't find early 67 Beetle instruction manuals with the cards in the back, but I can find late 67 Beetle instruction manuals with cards in the back. And how late were the separate books printed? I can find them up to 64, but I can't find one with a print date after. Thoughts?

What is the difference between Service Booklet 1 and Service Booklet 2?

Am I just babbling? That happens.

Anyone have an early 67 or late 66 owner's manual who can say if they had a service booklet or maintenance cards in the back?

Harry I've got 3 or 4 '67 owners manuals including the one to my car and I'll check for you in the morning when I get home.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
harrymarlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Maintenance cards in manuals switch over? Reply with quote

Thanks, Everett - I didn't think of checking there. It looks like even the early 67 manual has a maintenance card in them, so I suppose the switch over happened for the 67 model year. Thanks for the explanation of the #1 and #2. I saw that line in #2 previously, but I didn't understand it. It sounds unlikely that someone would have a #2 if they hadn't used #1 to track their service.

I don't track my daily drivers service more than when I need to do the next oil change - am I unusual? It seems like most Beetle owners were tracking their service history pretty closely - different times?

Thanks, Jos - it's good to have verification of the manuals. I will be interested to hear what you find out.

Thanks, all!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Maintenance cards in manuals switch over? Reply with quote

My April built '67 has the stamps in the back for service. Printed January 1967, original manual.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: