Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
donmurray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some Jaycee tubes with little sharp protruding tangs that the O-rings will have to slide over, and probably get nicked causing an O-ring leak. Can't imagine what caused these, but it looked like something sharp was pushed down the tube. If you use the Jaycee spring loaded tubes, check the inside of the tube where the O-rings will slide down. I removed the tangs with some 320 grit paper wrapped aroung a tooth brush handle.

As someone else stated, they may also need to be shortened if it looks like the case side seal will get squished out. The only problem is how much to shorten. Too much, it won't seal, and you ruined a set. Jaycee needs to publish some instructions on installing these, and include some length requirements.

Jaycee does have 3 different lengths of the longer, head side, tube available. These are 5", 5.5", 6", so if you have a long tube in a narrow motor, it may be very hard to install. This may explain why some find the install easy, if they have a wide motor and a shorter tube, but in that case the lower spring pressure may not make the end seals seat well.

I made an installation aid out of a 2" piece of plastic hose, a hose clamp, and 2 small corner braces from Lowes. The plastic hose is split to go around the longer tube and clamped in place by the hose clamp. The two small corner braces go under the clamp and stick down so you can get your thumbs on them. The top/upper part of the hose has to be cut so it does not contact the head fins or deflector plate. The purpose of the hose is to keep the hose clamp & corner braces from scratching the tube.

Last edited by donmurray on Thu May 12, 2011 6:23 am; edited 2 times in total
56Speedster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running the Jaycee tubes for over a year now and have not had 1 drip. If there's a drip of anything in the garage, my wife will let me know about it so I'm somewhat anal about having a leak-free engine which really isn't difficult.
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vince1 wrote:
Just made my own pushrods tubes

3 o rings like the heads up performance ones, tight adjustement beetween the male and female tube, windage style, and a big end like the CB ones, will use CB seals. Also made a Tool to install them beacause Jaycee and consors are a pain to install on short engines when the heads are on.

They are going to be anodized and after I'll test them on my engine, my Scat gold one aren't dry.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Windage end

Big end

Tool to install them...

Hope they'll work good, I'm not going to make them but if you want the cads files (SWorks) I can send them.

Hi,

Well done, please share with me the cad files of it.

Thanks in advance
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

be nice to make a leaver operated compressor for these.
my empi jcee knock off tubed after almost 8000 still didnt leek any when I sold the car, but it did take some work before they were ready to use.I hope they have that figured by now...but saddely I have 2 more sets I bought at the same time for my other 2 engines....I may just put a set of scat big mouths on one motor since I have them too and never had any issue with them either.although they are a soft aluminum.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

I like the design of the new CB tubes, yes there are CB products I really like. Dan
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/psaprt.htm
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
I like the design of the new CB tubes, yes there are CB products I really like. Dan

Those are just a smaller-diameter version of Pauter's pushrod tubes. And, those will leak, too.

I don't think electrickery works that way
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
Dan Ruddock wrote:

Those are just a smaller-diameter version of Pauter's pushrod tubes. And, those will leak, too.

Yes, pushrod clearance is very important to me as I sell and use 7/16 pushrods. The Jaycee's clear ok. Good to know.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

A guy here on thesamba. User name syngear..use to sell and make a one piece spring loaded pushrod tubes I heard those where great but I look him up and he no longer sells them his adds are off ...i wanted to buy some too...i hope he resell them..👇
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2190857
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

Fast Fab supposedly had the best inner machining process, which is the important area.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

I am using the Fast Fab versions...nice clean inside
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andreas5bmw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

Jaycee pushrod tubes are the best,,,,never had any problems,,,,,and one thing everyone forgot is that Jaycee is the original on these pushrod tubes,,,,everyone else copied Jaycee design because they can not think out of the box,,,,lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
A guy here on thesamba. User name syngear..use to sell and make a one piece spring loaded pushrod tubes I heard those where great but I look him up and he no longer sells them his adds are off ...i wanted to buy some too...i hope he resell them..👇
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2190857

he sells them on eBay . user handle is syngear1. I have a set .I haven't installed them yet so I can't report how they are. but is a brilliant idea! one piece! no extra places they can leak from. I will report back. his website is syngear.co.uk
he makes all kinds of different things that is the only auto part he makes? kind of strange.

Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

andreas5bmw wrote:
Jaycee pushrod tubes are the best,,,,never had any problems,,,,,and one thing everyone forgot is that Jaycee is the original on these pushrod tubes,,,,everyone else copied Jaycee design because they can not think out of the box,,,,lol

Oh yeah? Jaycee insides: half had heavy scarring. Spoke with others that confirmed the same. Prior to EMPI takeover.

vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pharos wrote:
vince1 wrote:

3 o rings like the heads up performance ones, tight adjustement beetween the male and female tube, windage style, and a big end like the CB ones, will use CB seals. Also made a Tool to install them beacause Jaycee and consors are a pain to install on short engines when the heads are on.

They are going to be anodized and after I'll test them on my engine, my Scat gold one aren't dry.

Windage end

Big end

Tool to install them...

Hope they'll work good, I'm not going to make them but if you want the cads files (SWorks) I can send them.

Hi,

Thanks in advance

I redesigned those last winter for more inside clearance, now 20 mm case side and 22 mm head side.

I don't make business so I'm happy to share the cad files here :

https://grabcad.com/library/vw-type-1-pushrod-tubes-1

Vince

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
andreas5bmw wrote:

Oh yeah? Jaycee insides: half had heavy scarring. Spoke with others that confirmed the same. Prior to EMPI takeover.

I wonder if they were repackaged empi tubes....like so many other companies do with "their products"
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vince1 wrote:
pharos wrote:
vince1 wrote:

Windage end

Big end

Tool to install them...

Hi,

Thanks in advance

I redesigned those last winter for more inside clearance, now 20 mm case side and 22 mm head side.

I don't make business so I'm happy to share the cad files here :

https://grabcad.com/library/vw-type-1-pushrod-tubes-1

Vince

Thank you very much for your contribution and I hope that many others do the same.

before you post your new design I did this sample yesterday

[img]
[/img]

[img]
[/img]
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

Somebody should be making and selling those
pharos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:

I'll do it in Egypt Very Happy with a reasonable price
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:

Any machinist will make them if you provide him my CAD files.

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Are Jaycee pushrod tubes still the best? Reply with quote

What material is used for the tubes, also is the spring and orings, off the shelf parts?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: