Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

I got to wondering (looking at a DD for CHT) if I could make something that would be able to pull CHT from all four cylinders, Oil Temp from the standard oil sump plug, and the oil pressure from a double relay to read on an arduino that would then send all that info via Bluetooth to a old cellphone I had. The programming of it doesn't really look that difficult but the finding of the parts (CHT only) is giving me a headache. Does anybody have any idea of good thermocoupler parts that I could wire to a box under the back seat?

"Growing older, but not up!"
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

There is a bunch of info on thermocouple wire and sources from this link that you may find useful - the good old MGL Stratomaster!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=423765&highlight=stratomaster

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

I've been playing at making something similar, but I've planned to use an OLED display at first since I don't have any cell phones much less an old one.. the issues I've been dealing with are hardware related (and personal lack of experience related)

I've been trying these, the analog type K amps, they seem to work well enough..
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1778

I thought about these
https://www.adafruit.com/product/269
but there is a limit to how many digital I/O pins are available..

I've tried all sorts of type K wires including a set from Dakota Digital and sets from ebay and they are pretty much the same.. in testing I seem to get around +/- 3-5 degrees C.

I had one set up working perfectly in testing but I could not see the Back-lit LCD in daylight...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

The OLED screens are quite bright.
I made some up with the 1.3 inch 128x64 screens..

http://www.thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/digita...mfd.65973/

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Mike.. That is seriously impressive.. I am using the same OLED screens. I started out with an LCD but couldn't read it in daylight.. went to a TFT screen with the same issues. I wanted to change the screen colour based on engine conditions .. green - yellow - orange - red but it sort of defeats the purpose if it is only viewable at night...
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

This might be of use for such a project:

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/can-egt-8-channel-thermocouple-interface/

Not very cheap, but then quality never is.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Yikes that's expensive Smile

mmewing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

I know this is a pretty old post but during my research for CHT sensors I found this cool video which might be helpful for someone looking into that topic again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8KtvvskT6o
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

I'm currently doing this. So far I've only been doing the programming part of this and using two regular K-type TC. I just ordered some K-type TCs from eBay that have the proper size ring to fit with the spark plugs.

Next part is going to be getting a dual channel vdo sender to be read.
Arduino can't read resistance of the sender so I'll be making a voltage divider circuit and connect it to the Arduino analog pin. I'm also doing some research on a good vdo sender for the type 4 so I can start testing that.

When I've made enough progress I'll be uploading the code to a github repo.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

http://thesensorconnection.com/category/cht-sensors/all-cht-sensors/electronics
Good stuff, made here in Michigan
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
I'm currently doing this. So far I've only been doing the programming part of this and using two regular K-type TC. I just ordered some K-type TCs from eBay that have the proper size ring to fit with the spark plugs.

Next part is going to be getting a dual channel vdo sender to be read.
Arduino can't read resistance of the sender so I'll be making a voltage divider circuit and connect it to the Arduino analog pin. I'm also doing some research on a good vdo sender for the type 4 so I can start testing that.

When I've made enough progress I'll be uploading the code to a github repo.

I did some calculations and worked out that while an Arduino or other controller cannot read resistance, if you power the sender from 3.3 volts via a 110 ohm resistor you can measure the voltage on an ADC channel on the micro - a 100 ohm sender reads a bit under 1.64 volts, a short reads 0...

At the moment my oil pressure system uses a stock VW switch for the warning light and a 0..100 PSI 0.5 volt to 4.5 volt transducer for oil pressure mounted on the end of an extender screwed in the pressure sender hole..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Yes , the EMPI distributor clamp is not flat .

I am slowly working on a replacement for a stock hotwire fuel gauge using an STM F0 ARM microcontroller and a GM instrument stepper motor. Because I like ST more than Atmel..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

I purchased some k-type thermocouples that have a ring size of 14mm and are bent in an L shape.

Here are some pictures. Don't mind the messy wiring, I had unplugged some jump wires from the old regular style thermocouples I was testing on and the oled display. There are two thermocouples connected to the Arduino through an amplifier. You can see the readings in the serial monitor as Thermocouple 0 and 1.

I have not testing on the engine yet, just a torch.

Heathintexas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

really nice work Terminatez!

are you planning on powering your arduino setup from your bus battery? If so I think you may soon run into a voltage dropout on the thermoucouple due to it being grounded to your engine block.

I would look into isolating your Arduino with a DC DC iso converter such as this:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/RS3-1212S/945-1564-5-ND/2321408
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Terminatez

I like the thermocouple wire and 14mm ring...I tried a bunch of different options none of which were as good as the ones I ended up making from copper sheet, can you post the link to where those came from?

Mine has worked well enough for over a year, I didn't have to isolate it but I did burn out my first arduino by wiring it directly to the battery. As it was explained to me the arduino isn't capable of (reliably) shedding the amount of heat generated by taking 12+ Volts and converting in down to the 5 Volts it uses.

On the second pass I put a constant voltage power supply between the battery and the arduino, Something like the one bellow, which I suppose did isolate it since I think that does the same job as the part heathintexas recommended

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283550924132?epid=501587935&hash=item4204f3bd64:g:QcQAAOSwPsZdLvAr

the big heat-sinks were the key..

are you using digital or analog thermocouple amps?
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Terminatez, please post where you got those thermocouples they look perfect for our projects!! I myself got sidetracked for umm well just short of 3 years ( Shocked ) but I'm back in the groove of things and brushed off this project. If possible list all of your parts (if you care to share) it is looking amazing!

kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:
Terminatez, please post where you got those thermocouples they look perfect for our projects!!

I second this request.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

From the research I've been doing i'm looking at this as a setup:

Arduino Uno running a sketch with 4 of these https://www.adafruit.com/product/1778 connected to the analog pins (1-4) and then those are connected to https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Sensors-Thermoc...4YMWMS59EM to pull the temp from the heads. As for a display I haven't figured that out yet either to run a Bluetooth link to an old phone or just get a screen and output it on there, i'm more of a hardware guy than a software so the programming is going to be fun

telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

I'd be looking for either (1) fully isolated thermocouples, or (2) isolated thermocouple amps. Issue: if multiple non-isolated thermocouples are grounded to the cylinder heads, the head ground forms another thermocouple, and the thermocouples will interact with each other. Differential input thermocouple amps with a large common mode voltage capability and a high impedance to ground could also solve the problem.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

telford, hmm I had read that using thermocouples people were having some issues with grounding but I haven't gotten that far yet. Could you provide links to such creatures? Smile

edit: Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/DTC-Thermocouple-Temperature-Cylinder-Connector/dp/B00V1XXU52

telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Arduino CHT, Oil temp, Oil Pressure Reply with quote

No, I haven't researched it (I don't have temp sensors on my engine), so no links.

I do know that with most inexpensive thermocouples, the junction is "grounded" to the "case" (in this case, the 14mm ring terminal). It's much cheaper to make this way. An isolated thermocouple has to have some kind of heat conducting insulation between the junction and the case. Unfortunately, this costs more, and leads to a slower temperature change response (not a big deal in this instance). Bottom line: if the thermocouple specs don't specifically say "isolated", I would assume that it isn't.

The display (or signal conditioner) used with a non-isolated thermocouple MUST be isolated from ground, otherwise ground loop current will lead to bogus readings. Remember, thermocouple outputs are measured in millivolts, so it doesn't take much to influence it.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: