Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Legacy transaxle in Vanagon?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Subaru Legacy transaxle in Vanagon? Reply with quote

this possible?
a neighbor has a 2000-something subaru legacy (manual trans) with a busted engine.
I was looking into rebuilding my aircooled trans to support a 2.0 TDI, but.. should i just pull the subie trans instead or is this a whole world of hurt?
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru legacy transaxle in vanagon Reply with quote

i think your gear ratios would be all wrong, with a tdi engine on a subaru trans.
a better option, perhaps, would be to use a passat transmission, they can be flipped to work upside down, a manual trans from a tdi passat, would have the right ratio's for the engine, there's a company based in the UK, ultimate engineering, they offer kits.
i believe they cut half an inch off the bellhousing, rotate it to the desired angle, and weld it back on again, it's not quite that simple.

619 201 0310
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Legacy transaxle in Vanagon? Reply with quote

Ok. So rebuilding my aircooled trans best way to go?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru Legacy transaxle in Vanagon? Reply with quote

The cheapest and simplest option is to find a used air-cooled trans in good working condition.
Problem with that is knowing if a used transmission is actually a good working unit before you install it, and how much life it has left in it.

Used to be I could find used transmissions for vanagons in the local junkyard for 137 $. Too bad those days are gone.

The most expensive and most difficult option is to take a free subaru trans (which turns the wrong way for us vw folks) and modify it to work for your van, including fabricating a shift linkage.

Somewhere in the middle is rebuilding your existing trans.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: