Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
agon.parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

I've been putting together a list of freebies I've done here: http://print.agon.parts/

These panels would be a great addition to the list.

FREEBIES: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkqzgREEtE9Aj7poRLxLuW-oGORuiQ?e=eSKThT
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
I'm close to having the front door template complete in cad... But I've discovered several concerns.

1) Power Mirror switch cut-out: Some will want while others will not.
2) Power windows vs manual: My existing cards do not have power windows
3) Covering or not covering: There are a number of extra holes in the stock cards that would not be wanted if planning to install without a covering.

I see the abs panels sold by others all appear to disregard the additional holes mentioned in #3 above. Leave those out of the file and assume everyone is NOT covering the cards?

I'm looking for some feedback before I finalize the file(s). I also need a headcount on the number of people that want these to determine what to charge for the file so please chime in.

If the slider door is of interest too, please say so.

Interested in every panel, no option cut outs unless it can be modified? I think cloning the file for a version with cut outs would be easier, no?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

ofen on these types of things - if working from the file, have everything on the file and delete the things you don't want in the product. If pre-making panels, good practice is to cut the holes that work for every application and score the ones that are options so the end user can cut them as needed.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Umm! it seem like I lost the control on the thread I started.
dlb154, why do you expect to do few bucks for your drawings when you can share it and have infinite gratitude from many vanagon owners? Very Happy Razz
For me, people are here to share knowledges, give tips, help, been helped and it's what I will do as it was my initial plan.

Anyway, below a preview of the front door panel from a 1980 vanagon (my Vanabolt).
So, no power windows and I plan to don't use a covering. Still I have to add precision for the measurements of the holes positions before sharing the CAD model.

ZsZ, thanks to share your sliding door panel. Could you add 2 or 3 dimensions at the drawing to help people had good scale. In my case when I open it the scale is around 2.5 : 1. Not so good.
See second pic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Exciting!! Cool Cool

Great job Yabert Wink
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

yabert wrote:
Umm! it seem like I lost the control on the thread I started.
dlb154, why do you expect to do few bucks for your drawings when you can share it and have infinite gratitude from many vanagon owners? Very Happy Razz
For me, people are here to share knowledges, give tips, help, been helped and it's what I will do as it was my initial plan.

Anyway, below a preview of the front door panel from a 1980 vanagon (my Vanabolt).
So, no power windows and I plan to don't use a covering. Still I have to add precision for the measurements of the holes positions before sharing the CAD model.

ZsZ, thanks to share your sliding door panel. Could you add 2 or 3 dimensions at the drawing to help people had good scale. In my case when I open it the scale is around 2.5 : 1. Not so good.
See second pic.

Sure. Will do today.
It was saved from Archcad 15, so dwg conversion usually crap. Probably it was saved in mm but you work in inches?

EDIT: I have updated the file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cl18fiw72p40yiz/sliding_door.dwg?dl=1
and made a pdf:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0bjrnszswp196c/sliding_door.PDF?dl=1
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

yabert wrote:

It's one thing to share something you've developed for your own use/needs. This, however, wasn't something I had already created or had a need for. I went out of my way to create the front door card file because I had the skill to do so and had a set of front door cards to use as a template.

You can do the same and share the file if that's your desire.

I'll stay off your thread.
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
Or you could just buy a set from JM over at Werksberg. Perfect fit and look great?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1084279

Thanks! I appreciate the kudos! Wink

CNC programs are not for DIY but for production use. They cost money and lots of time...which is also money. What is your time worth?

Even if you did have the CNC programs, you will pay MORE to make the panels then buying ours.
You have to get the CNC programs (hoping they are compatible with the shops cnc router system), drive to a plastic shop to buy many 4'x8' sheets (do you have a truck to tote those big sheets?), Take the programs to the shop, pay them to load the programs as also lay out time, then the routering time / costs too....
But if you want to spend more money and lots more of your time, go ahead.

On the mis location of the fastener holes (this again, I have addressed it too many times already..), it takes me around a week to prefect my masters with a rough panel, find 3x different Vanagon's for test fitting (each of the VW factories had different stamping dies locations, dies was replaced almost yearly and fastener holes was always located differently. But since the production line just slaps panels in, they designed the panels holes to be larger and fasteners self center when slapped in) as each was slightly different to find a happy medium... But with the panel holes (location and size) buyers can use my panels as is or upholstery them and use the OEM twist in fasteners.
With our oversize molly heads, there's lots of room to fit to your Vanagon stampings by minor messaging the ABS panels holes.
And that is the reason other businesses don't spend the time making their own panels masters, they just get their customers to buy mine and copy them directly...

Yes, my Vanagon Mollys are not the best quality (unlike my split and bay bus mollys) but I have very little problem using them. And I probably have used them more then anyone else.
The secret is to tighten the center screw only until the head is close to be flush...too many others over tighten them thinking the panel will fall off... nope!

Yes, I knew of the other so called DELUXE fasteners (been a race car fabber foe many decades) and the other thread on them several exactly posted the reasons I never offered them. Like the customers trying to install the inserts with the panel already in place instead of installing in the steel door holes first, then installing the panel. Rolling Eyes

The alum pop in rivnuts are great, but the DIY buyers won't spend the $45 for the special tool just to install them in the 125 plus fastener holes. Trying installing with the included little tool in the small rivnet kit....forget it!

Just last week on eBay, I had a customer break eBay rules asking me if I would sell them my CNC programs... nope!

BTW, this is my and my employees livelihood. How about we take away your earnings with free stuff??? Or should I just leave the VW world and put my talents to other automotive make products?

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Quote:

Having made replacement panels for the cargo area of my van and bought mollys from Werksberg, I agree with this statement above.
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Slimvest wrote:
Quote:

Having made replacement panels for the cargo area of my van and bought mollys from Werksberg, I agree with this statement above.

Thanks... Wink

Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

werksberg wrote:
drive to a plastic shop to buy many 4'x8' sheets (do you have a truck to tote those big sheets?), Take the programs to the shop, pay them to load the programs as also lay out time, then the routering time / costs too....

Come on man, everyone here has the ability to transport 4x8 sheets. Most here can transport them inside, but if not, on the roof. Second, having worked in a sign shop where I had custom cut plastics all the time, I just sent them a PDF or illustrator file. My local metal shop also accepts PDF. As long as the vector data exists, it's not a big deal.

And believe me, I'm not saying that buying from you isnt a solid choice, I have certainly considered it. You have a good price and its very convenient. But your points of transport, file format, not doing it yourself, and financial feasibility (really?) in a vanagon forum seem a bit silly. Your sales pitch should be, "get it in a week because we all know you have too many unfinished projects and are you really going go through that trouble to measure out your panels when your coolant keeps leaking, your driver front tire has a weird wobble, and and you get a whistling at 53mph?"
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Most of the people here love the convenience of buying already made stuff. Half the overpriced gadgets or kits GW sells are like that, yet they still sell.

It will be the same for panels.

Not everybody had a friend or a local shop willing to do that and time fooling around is indeed money.

I did my own ABS panels back in 2002 bc I worked for a company that had every type you can dream of.

Today I wanna do them out of wood but I want perfection so I can fiberglass them with Hawaiian print fabric, first time is the charm I'm looking for.
. I would have bought them online if shipping wasn't so expensive.

Nobody will get out of business bc very few people have access to the CNC router businesses needed to make these. When you do it's easy. I do.
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

werksberg, I fully understand your comments and I think it's why you will continue to sell your panels to many vanagon owners.

But for me, I want the trouble free rivetnut fixation solution, I want my specific wood panels and I want to share my work with other members who, like me, like to put some time on our van.

ZsZ, thanks for the dimensions. My error was a typical 2,54 scale (inch to mm).
I remarked that your panel drawing is like the plastic/black one on the picture below. From my search, it's for 1983-1991 van.
For my 1980 van, I think I will need a panel without notch like the wood one on the pic.
I will start from your drawing to creat my sliding door panel and share it after.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

The earlier sliding door panels indeed don’t have that cut out.
The black panel is not finished, right? I don’t think there are sharp corners like that....
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

I have been working a revolutionary wood panels option but they will not be on the market until the process is copyrighted and patents are fully done... Wink Cool

yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Here we go.
The front door panel is done. I will put a link to STEP 3D model and DXF file in the first post of this thread.

For this panel, I plan to fix it to the door with M5 screws by installing rivetnuts in the door.
So the fixing hole are only 6mm in diameter. The holes for the grab handle and arm rest are 7,5mm to pass M6 screw.
Those holes diameters ARE NOT the same as original panel. Please draw your holes accordingly to what you plan to do.

My friend who have a CNC router is currently on holiday out of the country, so I will not cut this panel before many weeks.
Please let me know if there is any error.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Awesome, thank you so much!

I`m gonna ask my friend, he has an antic set up he`s been trying to CNC retrofit to modern technology, not an easy task but hopefully he`s close to be done fixing all the bugs Cool

Aloha and stay safe!
JFW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

[Edit: DWG removed due to imprecise measurements]
Great work!

I've dug up some files that might be of interest - if only to verify the work done so far. DWG here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yklvaj2z34t4ss0/interior_panels_vw_t3_vanagon.dwg?dl=0 and a PDF from a different source here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbkeqko13oj82b8/portier%20panelen%20T3.pdf?dl=0

Cheers!

Truls
Museum director.
Bicycle framebuilder.
Thinkerer.

Last edited by JFW on Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Super useful JFW! Thanks.
But, there is some differences between my measures and the models you shared (black vs blue).
Is it your own mesures based on your van?
There is up to 5mm of difference between my panel and yours.
I will verify my mesures another time, but I'm almost sure to be inside +/- 1 mm of tolerance for all mesures.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

yabert wrote:
There is up to 5mm of difference between my panel and yours...... I'm almost sure to be inside +/- 1 mm of tolerance for all mesures.

SUPER like where this is heading! Geekiness at is finest!

Nice use of tech too.

I'm looking forward to using our local makespace 36x48 100w laser cutter on some wood panels. I have always been fond of the burnt edges on lasered wood.

Now I'm thinking of what images to engrave...possibilities endless!

https://fusemakerspace.org/

https://fusemakerspace.org/equipment/ap-lazer-engraver-and-cutter-48x36/

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: