Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

I got some more done on this bus. I have been driving it almost everyday now and I love it. Its low but not crazy low. It handles great and can cruise at 75-80 on the freeway with ease and still has tons of power. The 1800 runs so well. I put a vintage speed shifter in it too along with some new wheels, and disc brakes. Its really a blast to drive.

I ended up stripping the cargo area floor. Thankfully the floors were all super solid, zero holes. I just removed all the surface rust and repainted:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

I put sound deadening on the ceiling too, front to back. I put a headliner over this but dont have pictures right now. Put all new door seals in and sound deadening in the all of the doors. It rides down the road nice and quiet now.

Next I got wheels and a disc brake kit from Air Cooled Vintage Works. The wheels are powdercoated to match the engine tin. I bolted them up to a 2" narrowed adjustable beam.

Here is a shot of it right after dropping in the garage.

Here are a couple shots of the ride height.

nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

Ok, so I had to get rid of the trucker mirrors.

I also drove it around for a few weeks with no external oil cooler just to see how it would run. Took it all over San Diego on some hot days with no issues. I want to do a bunch of driving in this over the summer so this weekend I decided to put an oil cooler on it. I wasnt sure how to do it with the belly pans but recently saw someone on Instagram with this setrab setup and ordered it right away. The quality is super nice and I am really pleased. I bought steel braided lines and am running all AN fittings now. Love how much it cleaned it up.

A few months ago I picked up another set of dove blue cargo doors that already had camper windows cut out. I picked up some windows too. Took them apart and cleaned them up and put on all new seals. Here is a quick look at what is happening with them. I swapped the doors for now and I have a z-bed in the works. I want to have a simple camper setup in it for going out of town. I have the other doors so it can be quickly set back up as a panel if someone wanted to. More to come.

Here is a walkaround of how the motor sounds...

Link
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

Looking good.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

Awesome progress! Must be a lot quieter now! But, did you still use the single master cylinder for the brakes? Confused
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
Awesome progress! Must be a lot quieter now! But, did you still use the single master cylinder for the brakes? Confused

ha...yah thats right, all brand new and I still went with the single master. I like to live dangerously. Just dont tell my mom.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

nineteensixtyfiveVG wrote:
pyrOman wrote:

ha...yah thats right, all brand new and I still went with the single master. I like to live dangerously. Just dont tell my mom.

Laughing

But seriously! The dual is not that expensive and does so much better for the brakes! You should at least consider it! Cool

Actually, I really can’t believe they even offer a single one when you are “upgrading” the brakes! Confused
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

I'd like to know more about the oil cooler. Is it a kit for a bus or did you have to order everything individually?

Also what wheels are those?

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

Dustin B wrote:
I'd like to know more about the oil cooler. Is it a kit for a bus or did you have to order everything individually?

Also what wheels are those?

I had to buy everything separately. All of the setrab equipment is on Amazon. I bought the cooler which has a fan already on it. I bought the setrab brackets and used just one of them and made one. I also bought the oil filter holder through them too.

The oil lines were all from a company called Evil Energy on Amazon too. It all went together well and fits perfectly between the belly pans and torsion housing. I put the 180 degree thermostat on there and have the fan wired up accordingly.

The wheels are empi dish wheels I bought through AirCooledVintageWorks. You can get the wheels direct from them in the polished finish or they do runs of wheels in powdercoat too.
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

Wow. This whole thread is just amazing. What a great way to start my day!I binge read it and now I'm a little sad it's over. Crying or Very sad Can't wait till next season!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

The wheels are powdercoated to match the engine tin. I bolted them up to a 2" narrowed adjustable beam.

.....I like to live dangerously.....

I hope you carved all the powdercoating out of the lugnut seating area of the rims, or you might find out something about living dangerously. Do a search on it if you are not familiar with the problem. (wheels coming off at speed)
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

Looks great. I'm sure they sound deadening made a huge difference.

X2 on getting the powdercoating off of the surface where the lug bolt meets up.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

Nice looking, good work, did you put the same windows on the driver side cargo doors?

Just to help out the folks, is it possible to list all the parts you ordered from amazon to make the oil cooler work. (In other words, we want to cheat with your homework)

A new pic of bus with windows we wanna see.
Thanks
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

Looks fantastic, I love what you've done with it! Those wheels are great too.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
The wheels are powdercoated to match the engine tin. I bolted them up to a 2" narrowed adjustable beam.

.....I like to live dangerously.....

I hope you carved all the powdercoating out of the lugnut seating area of the rims, or you might find out something about living dangerously. Do a search on it if you are not familiar with the problem. (wheels coming off at speed)

Yep, cleaned up where the studs and lugs meet up on the wheels.
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Nice looking, good work, did you put the same windows on the driver side cargo doors?

Just to help out the folks, is it possible to list all the parts you ordered from amazon to make the oil cooler work. (In other words, we want to cheat with your homework)

A new pic of bus with windows we wanna see.
Thanks
Thomas

Nope, I just have the windows on the passenger side. It makes it nice to have a little visibility on that side now and the bus still looks like a panel from the drivers side so I am digging the differences. I will post some more pictures of the bus with the doors when I finish the camper setup. Right now I have having the z bed covered in a vinyl that really closely matches the original VW vinyl in look and feel. I also just did some LED lighting around the whole inner roof drip rail so I think its going to make for a cool camper setup.

Here is everything you need to make that oil cooler work. The difference in temps is pretty big with this and the fan is super powerful. Overall just a really nice setup. The only thing not on this list is a small t bracket i bought at the hardware store that I used to mount it on the rear (engine) side. That and 4 lag screws to mount it to the belly pan side.

The cooler:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TO64XUY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Filter stand:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FXRSPV5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Oil Pump fitting to accept AN fittings (need 2):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TPS4T28/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fittings for cooler to accept AN8 fittings (need 2)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078CR3V9D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
In line thermostat switch. You can buy it in diff temps. I went with 180:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TO68EXG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Oil line and assorted fittings, this was more than enough line for the setup:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QKYYPQX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The bracket, you can probably make this, I only used one side of it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TO656FA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fittings for oil filter stand to accept AN8 fittings:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NWD9D6L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I ended up needing two more 45 degree fittings to make it work:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075864ZD3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

BulletBus wrote:
Wow. This whole thread is just amazing. What a great way to start my day!I binge read it and now I'm a little sad it's over. Crying or Very sad Can't wait till next season!! Very Happy

Thank you so much. More coming soon. I love this thing.
gondiwindi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

Are you going to go the window route for the other side also?
Jeler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

BulletBus wrote:

Thank you so much. More coming soon. I love this thing.

Outstanding job on your bus. Looks great! Superb work!
What kind of paint did you use on your floor? It looks awesome!
Thanks
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Im the idiot who bought the Mike Wolfe bus... Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to post the purchase list.
Saves some of us the agony of doing our home work.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: