Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robert hogaboam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

I have a short piece of chain that is connected to gas tank hold down clamp. What is it there for ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

It's not stock. If I were to hazard a guess, a PO added it and had it attached to the fuel cap so as not to lose it.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

I do believe it is in fact stock. It holds the spare wheel in, I've seen this mentioned in other threads.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I do believe it is in fact stock. It holds the spare wheel in, I've seen this mentioned in other threads.

I've seen it mentioned on early Split-Window Beetles
Thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251192

Unfortunately all the photos are dead there until page 3
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

Probably a dealer installed accessory (not factory) for the spare tire. Picture from Lee Hedges Gallery photo, 2015.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

Similar discussion on the Type 3 forum:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=716989

Likely a dealer option, not factory. And likely no part number or manufacturer on the bracket.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

Not in either of my 67s that I bought from the original owners.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

With regards to it being a "1967" thing...This chain is / was not in my currently owned '67 convertible (for 30 years), but was in place in a 56k orig. mile '67 Savanna Beige beetle I bought from the original owner in 1985. It had a sort of "home made" appearance to it, and the loose end of the chain chaffed the paint where it hung despite having a dedicated piece of rubber in situ for the mounting bolt on the tank hold down.. I took it out!

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

Currently listed in classifieds:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2368775

robert hogaboam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

robert hogaboam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

Put a spare tire in the car and lined up lug nut hole directly across from chain and 1 link stuck through the hole. Put a small lock on it then a hubcap
robert hogaboam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

That's interesting. Was stealing spare tires a real issue or was this chain just some kind of gimmick?

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

lol is that what it's supposed to do?

Was spare tire/wheel theft really that big a deal back in the day? Laughing

and then when you have a flat and go to put on the spare and you can't find the key to the padlock... Laughing
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

Maybe kids used to take the spare out of cars back in the day and used 'em for some creative shenanigans. Hard to say what drove such a curious invention.

For some reason, we used to steal valve stem caps off of cars back in the early seventies...until we got caught.
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

I've got the same chain in my 64 bug and my car was pretty original when I got it.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

It is an aftermarket accessory. Absolutely not factory.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
robert hogaboam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

I will look at my 63 rag and see if it is there. Has had front end damage and many things changed over the years.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

My bone stock 67' bug had one in it when I bought it 15 years ago. I removed it of course..

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the short piece of chain used for in trunk of 67 bug ? Reply with quote

Anyone got a vintage JC Whitney catalog that might have it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: