Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Charge Relay Questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

Hello,
So I picked up a 200amp relay to help boost my solar house batteries on my 76 bus. Basically, the pictured relay connects the '+' terminals on my engine battery and house battery. The idea being that when the ignition is ON, the relay activates and the house battery is then being charged by the engines battery, which is being charged by the alternator. When OFF, the house battery is then isolated from the engine battery. However I had the following thoughts
* If I camp and completely kill the house batteries (a bank of two), when I go to start the engine, and the relay activates, could my engine not be able to turn over because the dead battery is now sucking in all the power from the charged engine battery?
* Wont I have to use "starter-thickness" cables to the relay because when starting the engine, and the relay activates, the starter is going to draw from the house battery too?
Thanks all, dont want to fry my bus Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

Wire it off the oil pressure switch or the trigger wire for the alternator, that way they don't connect until the engine is running.

As for wire gauge, it isn't going to be drawing the huge, immediate amps that are required for starting, it is going to be pulling whatever amps are left over after the engine uses what it needs, your alt is either 55 or 70a, not the 500+ amps available for starter. I'm using 4ga on mine, but I've seen as small as 10ga used without issues. Just make sure you fuse both sides close to each respective batteries.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
Wire it off the oil pressure switch or the trigger wire for the alternator, that way they don't connect until the engine is running.

As for wire gauge, it isn't going to be drawing the huge, immediate amps that are required for starting, it is going to be pulling whatever amps are left over after the engine uses what it needs, your alt is either 55 or 70a, not the 500+ amps available for starter. I'm using 4ga on mine, but I've seen as small as 10ga used without issues. Just make sure you fuse both sides close to each respective batteries.

Thank you so much. I was going to take the 12v that activates the relay from the coil. Would there be any advantage to using the oil switch power?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

what gauge battery cables (or wires) are linking the main and the aux battery together?

from the factory if equipped with an aux battery the wires were light..like 12 or 14 ga iirc.

in the factory set up, the alt wire would close the relay once the bus started, therefore isolating the 2 batteries.

if you do it simply with a key on and the wires are not battery cables, you'll smoke the light gauge wires if one battery is dead.

you would be best to tap into the load reduction side of the ignition switch. that would eliminate any chance of the 2 batteries connecting during starter operation.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
what gauge battery cables (or wires) are linking the main and the aux battery together?

from the factory if equipped with an aux battery the wires were light..like 12 or 14 ga iirc.

in the factory set up, the alt wire would close the relay once the bus started, therefore isolating the 2 batteries.

if you do it simply with a key on and the wires are not battery cables, you'll smoke the light gauge wires if one battery is dead.

you would be best to tap into the load reduction side of the ignition switch. that would eliminate any chance of the 2 batteries connecting during starter operation.

I haven't installed yet, collecting the pieces. It sounds like I need 6 gauge and a couple of fuses though.
My plan is to connect to the coil terminal that gets juice when the IGN is switched on.
Thanks.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:

Thank you so much. I was going to take the 12v that activates the relay from the coil. Would there be any advantage to using the oil switch power?

The coil is hot as soon as you turn the key, if you want to avoid an issue combining a dead\drained battery and your healthy starter battery (which is what you said you wanted to avoid), I wouldn't use the coil. If you do the coil, even if you use heavy gauge and not cook the wires, you are going to be transferring juice to the low battery when you want it to go to spin the motor over.

If you don't want to tap the alt light wire, then go with Skill's idea of the load reduction feed. I have mine set up with a SPDT switch, down it combines automatically, up it combines on demand, middle no combine. This way I can prevent combining if the need arises. YMMV.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:

If you don't want to tap the alt light wire, ...

I'm sorry, trying to grasp things here. Are you saying that if I DO tap the alt light wire, the relay will stop the engine battery and house battery from connecting to each (start charging) until AFTER the engine is running?
Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
ImAddicted wrote:

I'm sorry, trying to grasp things here. Are you saying that if I DO tap the alt light wire, the relay will stop the engine battery and house battery from connecting to each (start charging) until AFTER the engine is running?
Thanks

Correct, the relay will only connect the batteries once the alternator is charging (engine running).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
wagohn wrote:
ImAddicted wrote:

Thanks

Correct, the relay will only connect the batteries once the alternator is charging (engine running).

Aha, thank you! If that's the case, is there any reason I can't use 10 gauge wire? I have a bunch of 10 gauge, but would have to order 6 gauge.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
wagohn wrote:
ImAddicted wrote:

Thanks

Aha, thank you! If that's the case, is there any reason I can't use 10 gauge wire? I have a bunch of 10 gauge, but would have to order 6 gauge.

Depends on how flat the house battery is and how big your alternator is. Alternator's aren't all that smart, if the battery is below target voltage they will throw everything they have at it until it reaches the volts it's after. That can be a whole lotta amps during the initial charge after startup, bigger is always better.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Depends on how flat the house battery is and how big your alternator is. Alternator's aren't all that smart, if the battery is below target voltage they will throw everything they have at it until it reaches the volts it's after. That can be a whole lotta amps during the initial charge after startup, bigger is always better.

Makes sense. Thanks so much for your help.
zerothehero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

I prefer to use a voltage sensing relay to switch the bigger relay that connects the 2 batteries.

These switch when the car battery reaches 13V
They also have some handy switched & permanent connections.

1979 Devon Moonraker 1600 twin port
1978 Oz Microbus 2000 FI Auto
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

So I decided to go with 6 gauge wire after all, but a thought came to mind. 6 gauge is a thick wire, and it's recommended to fit inline fuses, how do I do that? Ive obviously worked with "regular" inline fuses for when youre fitting a stereo etc, but how do you fit a fuse to thick 6 gauge wire, and what amp?
Thanks all.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

Have you seen the great product line from Blue Sea?

If not, check them out.

Here is a great thread. If you have questions, reach out as I just finished mine.https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=567016&highlight=blue+sea

Here are the type of fuses connections I recommend especially for engine compartment use where there is fuel/oil and spark:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7720/AMI___MIDI_Safety_Fuse_Block
(sold - but not forgotten)
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

I used these, then the gauge wire isn't a factor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3QHPWB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Split Charge Relay Questions Reply with quote

Thanks guys - just what I needed. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: