Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
super72leo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Hello!
My partner and I just bought a 1972 Super Beetle, and wanted to share.
"Leo" was well-loved in the 1990s: painted, engine/trans rebuilt, etc.
After being rebuilt by the seller's mom, she left the car to her son, and didn't leave the garage again for 15 years.

Everything works!
This is my first aircooled vw, while my partner has had 2 71/72 supers and a square.
For both of us, this is the most complete older car we've ever purchased.

Not sure how to upload videos yet, but the first start was pretty exciting!

Here are some pics after it was uncovered and going onto a flatbed to a friends house to "shakedown" before driving to Seattle.
Very excited to say, after replacing the 2 soft lines and fuel pump, and adjusting both passenger-side drums, Leo made it 100 miles home!
Keeping the speed limit on the interstate, and holding the corners on our backroads too.
Not bad for 15 years parked -- certainly exceeded our expectations.

In the last 10 minutes of the drive, the passenger side ball joint and tie rod started to give up, but made it home with no incident.
Replaced ball joint and tie rod, and then drove it to Olympia and back with absolutely no issues.
Little gassy, but otherwise no complaints.

Wish I'd had a Beetle sooner!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
super72leo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof - More Exterior (Walk Around) Reply with quote

Here are some better photos of the outside.
I've included some trouble areas to document where we are starting out.
Was originally Marina Blue, not sure what color it is now, but it is blue in the light, and almost purple in shade.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
super72leo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof - Interior Photos & Engine Reply with quote

68IHscout Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Congrats on the new purchase ,nice looking super.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Looks like a nice Beetle. Do you & partner intend to perform your own maintenance work as well as minor repairs? In good tune the car can do 80 mph all day on the highway. The layout of the MacPherson strut front suspension and semi-trailing arm independant rear axle was basis for the suspension on the Porsche 924, so that should give you confidence for driving it briskly on curvy roads.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

I like the color, and it looks like itís in great shape. However, donít go 80 mph in it. Iíve gone over that in a Karmann Ghia, but not in a Bug. They just donít seem safe at that speed.

Have fun.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
super72leo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Looks like a nice Beetle. Do you & partner intend to perform your own maintenance work as well as minor repairs? In good tune the car can do 80 mph all day on the highway. The layout of the MacPherson strut front suspension and semi-trailing arm independant rear axle was basis for the suspension on the Porsche 924, so that should give you confidence for driving it briskly on curvy roads.

We do! Luckily we both do our own maintenance on our van fleet (we're glaziers), and the Beetle has been a DREAM comparatively LOL. (If you haven't had the pleasure of doing even a tune-up on a small block van, its a fun time).

Today we're adjusting the valves (probably should have done that first, but it wasn't clattering), and cleaning the oil off the bottom of the case to get a better idea where its coming from. Common leak points for VW engines that have been sitting? Main seal? Front seal?
creative native
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Super72leo, I thought that it might be Enzian Blue. Yours is a beautiful color and sounds like you two found a great deal!

I have a '74 Super Beetle Sun Bug and am in process of gathering all components to rebuild the front end and suspension (bushings, front and rear sway bars, Bilstein shocks & struts, steering dampener, tie rods, etc.) and then see how it handles on these mountain roads.

I'm looking forward to updates on your Super Beetle.

Last edited by creative native on Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Congrats! Beautiful blue. I don't think it's enzian blue, though, too dark. My '72 Super was enzian blue.

ROAD TRIP!!
'74 Super 9/16 - present
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver! 1600dp/34-4/DVDA-AN
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
STEAK_BUG72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Nice super there. Like the sunroof. I have a 72 super also. Some similarities I noted. Mine was originally marina blue then painted dark blue. Iíve seen that many times here. Also have an Alpine head unit in my rig. Just got the piece to properly trim it out so still have to do that. Just redid the front end on the car. New centre link, ball joints, all new bushings, all tie rod ends, steering damper and idler arm bronze bushing. NO SHIMMY!!! Very Happy
Have fun with it and drive that beast!!!

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Our "New" '72 Super Sunroof Reply with quote

Enjoy driving that bug! How nice to buy a bug and be driving it around right away. Since it's been sitting reach around and feel inside the fan shroud for mice nesting material. One of my bugs was like that and also sucked in some tarboard, which gets out of shape over the years. After overheating it once, I found those issues so I dropped the motor, disassembled the tin to clean it all out, power washed the long block, torqued the heads and put it back together. With the clean motor I can see where it is seeping. Some from the oil cooler, some from the pushrod tubes, some from the main seal. All the usual suspects. Like you, valve cover gaskets were freshened up when tuning it. I'd replace the fuel lines and vacuum hoses, they get dry and cracked on the inside from sitting just like the soft brake lines and wheel cylinders.

It is unanimous, as I also like the color. It is nice to see that it was fully disassembled for paint, so likely it was cared for at the time. Smile
Everybody hates my Air-Cooled Vanagon https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8916982#8916982
72 Super Duper http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672387
The Bug House PlayPac http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/buggeees-1973-playpac-build-thread-80903.html
The Minion's Bug https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=690801
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: