Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding door inside rear-most handle bracket replacement?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Sliding door inside rear-most handle bracket replacement? Reply with quote

Hello,

My rear-most handle on the inside of my slider has always been loose. I took the panel off and it seems the bracket with the square bit sticking out is quite bent and looks like it has been spot welded. The screw holes in the sheet metal are stripped so the screws are no longer holding it in.

I will try to buy 'the next size up' of screw to make the fit tighter, but I wonder if the bracket is available anywhere? I could not find a part number.

Also before I put a new panel on should I waterproof it somehow? The original panel had plastic on the outside. Would a coat of acrylic medium be enough?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by sphet on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door inside rear-most handle bracket replacement? Reply with quote

Can’t help you, but in our camper I have never used that handle. In hindsight, when I fabricated the new panel, I would have deleted it. I do not like that original insulation, I removed all of it and replaced with 4 layers of Reflectix from Lowe’s. All of the sill rust seemed to be a result of the OE insulation holding moisture.
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door inside rear-most handle bracket replacement? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Can’t help you, but in our camper I have never used that handle. In hindsight, when I fabricated the new panel, I would have deleted it. I do not like that original insulation, I removed all of it and replaced with 4 layers of Reflectix from Lowe’s. All of the sill rust seemed to be a result of the OE insulation holding moisture.

Thanks Mark — I can appreciate your perspective. I don’t know if my hinge is going or the bearings need replacing, but I benefit from that handle to pull the door shut.

How did you attach the Reflectix to itself and the wall? Did you use a sound deadening product as well? And finally did you put a vapour barrier between the metal and the panel?
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door inside rear-most handle bracket replacement? Reply with quote

Hello!
That IS a tough part to locate. It is riveted in place, so needs to be drilled out for replacement. Looks like this area on your sliding door has seen some 'action'. Indeed, the pull handle is quite useful to close the door from the inside quietly. From 1985 onward the mechanism was totally changed to keep hands away from the latch area. The pull handle was deleted.
There is a fellow near you on CL in the Richmond area with an '82 shell. Might be worth asking for that part.
When I cannot locate this stuff, or have no time to scour U-Pull It yards there is a useful place to go. Not cheap though.
https://www.bus-ok.de/T25-sliding-door
You could ask if they have this part (share a photo).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door inside rear-most handle bracket replacement? Reply with quote

plummerdesign wrote:
Hello!
That IS a tough part to locate. It is riveted in place, so needs to be drilled out for replacement...

I don't think it was riveted in place - it looks like it has original counter-sunk openings in it - but who really knows.

I'll call around and see what I can find - thanks for the tips.
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door inside rear-most handle bracket replacement? Reply with quote

The actual latch for the door is on the rear so this handle is very helpful to fully latch the door when closing it from the inside.

The fiberglass insulation inside the slider, inside the hatch and behind your kitchen all retain moisture and if your van has not already starting rusting in these areas it's just a matter of when and not if. We removed all of this old fiberglass and reinsulated with a combination of lengths of closed foam pipe insulation and sheets of reflectix.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door inside rear-most handle bracket replacement? Reply with quote

My feeling is the inner areas need a way to dry out. It probably also depends on your climate, if you have AC, camping heat etc if you need to use a plastic sheet.

We must be lucky. When I’m closing the slider, I grab the forward handle which unclips the door. I give the door a pull closed and momentum brings the door closed and latched. The rear handle is located that you don’t even have access till the door is already mostly closed. I suppose if you were sitting in the back seat and the door was slightly open, you could grab that handle and pull it closed. Just not how we use it.

I did stick some barrier to the sheetmetal called Be Quiet. The stacked panels of reflectix seem to stay in position fine without glue.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door inside rear-most handle bracket replacement? Reply with quote

I consider a rear grab handle on the slider to be a huge benefit.
Once I put one in one of our vans my wife decided it was to be standard.
Easy to close while seated on the bed or bench.
No need to get the door up to speed.
Quieter at night.

Mark
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door inside rear-most handle bracket replacement? Reply with quote

Mark, Nice. I like that.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door inside rear-most handle bracket replacement? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Quieter at night.
Mark

I just added this to my list of staycation van projects items.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding door inside rear-most handle bracket replacement? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Quieter at night.

Mark

Mark - is the hanging loop-handle-thingy standard? I think I have a hole in the pillar right there and have wondered what it's for. How is it installed?
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding door inside rear-most handle bracket replacement? Reply with quote

The loop grab handle is OEM.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: