Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High torque starter for 1.6TD?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: High torque starter for 1.6TD? Reply with quote

I need a new starter (imagine that) for the 1.6 turbo diesel ,last time I looked I remember not finding them as easy as a regular starter? Best one?
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi torque starter for 1.6td ? Reply with quote

The easiest is another vanagon diesel starter. The last Bosch one I got for our diesel was a gear reduction starter. Next starter will be a TDI starter, but haven’t seen a diesel specific adapter for sale lately. They are out there.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi torque starter for 1.6td ? Reply with quote

amazingly doe only 2 model years nearly 40 years old they are quite available.

through regular vendors or for $65+ on fleabay
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...p;_sacat=0

I'd go OEM type, it's just a best fit and value.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi torque starter for 1.6td ? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
T Next starter will be a TDI starter, but haven’t seen a diesel specific adapter for sale lately. They are out there.

This thing?

The nice thing about switching over to a TDI starter is that they area easier to find should you need another one again. I think I will be making the switch to a TDI starter for that reason.

danfromsyr wrote:

Pretty sure the JX uses the same starter as well so it's more than 2 model years but yes, quite amazing they are still available. I don't know how long that will last for.

Last edited by old_man on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi torque starter for 1.6td ? Reply with quote

Good to see Christopher has them in stock. I think I’ll reach out to him. Thank you.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hi torque starter for 1.6td ? Reply with quote

Awesome! It doesn’t matter that I have the six speed euro trans right? Same fit? TDI seems promising
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hi torque starter for 1.6td ? Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
Awesome! It doesn’t matter that I have the six speed euro trans right? Same fit? TDI seems promising

That might have been useful info in your first post. Euro 6 speed? Never heard of that. Are you counting reverse? The original diesel starter and I assume the adapter are for a diesel bell housing and a specific size flywheel. No telling what you’ve got there. Might need to match it up.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hi torque starter for 1.6td ? Reply with quote

haha yes i am counting reverse, the transmission i have has a granny gear, similar to a syncro , but it looks identical to the 1.6 to me.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hi torque starter for 1.6td ? Reply with quote

Email Christopher at T3 and ask. He will know.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: High torque starter for 1.6TD? Reply with quote

What vehicle is this in then??

The flywheel and bellhousing will determine if it fits. Do not buy these brand new small body starters, they`re crappy as hell. All plastic parts inside that melt, aluminum housing cracks easily too. I had to rebuild one that wasn`t old with an old Passat Bosch starter before. Horrible inside!

Best is definitely the TDi.

If you want measurements or make it yourself, here`s the drawing from my friend Sven ( Svenakela on the forum)
http://switchamotor.blogspot.com/2011/07/tdi-starter-for-t25vanagon-adapter.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Hi torque starter for 1.6td ? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

The diesel production spanned 10 years - 1981-1991.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: High torque starter for 1.6TD? Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

The flywheel and bellhousing will determine if it fits. Do not buy these brand new small body starters, they`re crappy as hell. All plastic parts inside that melt, aluminum housing cracks easily too. I had to rebuild one that wasn`t old with an old Passat Bosch starter before. Horrible inside!

If you want measurements or make it yourself, here`s the drawing from my friend Sven ( Svenakela on the forum)
http://switchamotor.blogspot.com/2011/07/tdi-starter-for-t25vanagon-adapter.html

The Bosch gear-reduction starters are fine, nothing 'crappy' about them.

The adaptor T3 sells is far superior to the 'sven' design. That sketch has no lip for locating the adaptor in the bell housing, only the M12 bolts provide that so the adaptor is relatively swimming around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: High torque starter for 1.6TD? Reply with quote

knowing me i will begin casting these in aluminum (with the lip) and end up making them! easy part to make. thank you for the drawing. i will have to make a blueprint before i make these castings, so i will post it here for corrections...
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: High torque starter for 1.6TD? Reply with quote

For $70 I'm not going to reinvent the wheel and I like to support those that support us. Plus, he isn't getting rich on those. I've got an email into Christopher to see if my TDI flywheel will work with the adapter.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: High torque starter for 1.6TD? Reply with quote

sure but it easier for me to make one. wont cost me more than 20 bux, whats the problem? for that matter it also wouldnt take more than a couple hours on the bridgeport.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: High torque starter for 1.6TD? Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
sure but it easier for me to make one. wont cost me more than 20 bux, whats the problem? for that matter it also wouldnt take more than a couple hours on the bridgeport.

So you don't put a value on your time either? Seems to be a lot of us here.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: High torque starter for 1.6TD? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I've got an email into Christopher to see if my TDI flywheel will work with the adapter.

Let me know what the answer is. I've got a TDI DMF right now. Works fine with a diesel Vanagon starter so I imagine this adapter will work as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: High torque starter for 1.6TD? Reply with quote

Christopher emailed back and he has a few customers using this with the TDI setup. I purchased my TDI input shaft from him as well. Ordered the plate and harness just now. I will report back.

My starter has not worked a few times over the last year. Solenoid seems to be sticking, so looking forward to getting this starter installed.

I've installed a couple of Westy Ventures adapters for the gasser vans, and it is really quite an improvement.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: High torque starter for 1.6TD? Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

The Bosch gear-reduction starters are fine, nothing 'crappy' about them.

The adaptor T3 sells is far superior to the 'sven' design. That sketch has no lip for locating the adaptor in the bell housing, only the M12 bolts provide that so the adaptor is relatively swimming around.

Well, it does have only one countersunk hole wich would help for some extent but yeah, you get what you pay for Laughing You can always modify it if you`re willing to make it yourself anyway

The Bosch starters are fine, that`s not what I said, I said the new ones are shit, I had to fix one with an old BOSCH one. I should have specified the new ones are shit bc they are prolly made in China and of poor plastic internal parts, like the ones sold all over eBay. Even Bosch rebuilt units ( by who I dunno) when opened have Indian made plastic parts.

Bosch metal gears on the bottom, plastic outer ring on the top from an Indian supplier on a cheap rebuilt unit. Chinese starters are made the same way.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: