Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radio for 6 V and 12 V
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Radio for 6 V and 12 V Reply with quote

Radio for 6 V and 12 V. I have a 66 beetle with a 6 V system that I just finished restoring and I want to put a radio in it. I’m going to keep the car 6 V for a while but I do plan on possibly putting a bigger engine in with the 12 V conversion down the road. Is there a radio that will work for both?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio for 6 V and 12 V Reply with quote

Dan2973 wrote:
Radio for 6 V and 12 V. Is there a radio that will work for both?

You might consider a period-correct Blaupunkt, like the Frankfurt seen here in the Bug, or the Coburg in the Ghia. Many vintage Blaupunkts can be switched between 6V & 12V. They'll also have an input jack for iPod or similar, and will fit the stock dash opening.

Pics from the gallery
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio for 6 V and 12 V Reply with quote

Yes, I had that Frankfort (6v/12v) in my '52 Zwitter - what a great unit.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio for 6 V and 12 V Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Dan2973 wrote:

You might consider a period-correct Blaupunkt, like the Frankfurt seen here in the Bug, or the Coburg in the Ghia. Many vintage Blaupunkts can be switched between 6V & 12V. They'll also have an input jack for iPod or similar, and will fit the stock dash opening.

Pics from the gallery

the Blaupunkt are expensive aren’t they? I’m not a purist so was thinking of something possibly newer and cheaper
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio for 6 V and 12 V Reply with quote

Dan2973 wrote:
rcooled wrote:
Dan2973 wrote:

Pics from the gallery

the Blaupunkt are expensive aren’t they? I’m not a purist so was thinking of something possibly newer and cheaper

I am a real cheap-ass - depends what "a lotta' money is to you" And i'm definitely not a purest - got my Frankfort at a swap meet for a hundred bux - and sold it, when in sold my '52 for $250
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fly2kads
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio for 6 V and 12 V Reply with quote

It may be possible to use a "step up transformer" to power a 12v radio from your 6v electrical system. When you change over to 12v down the road, just take it out. They generate a fair amount of heat, so you would have to mount it accordingly. There is some inherent inefficiency in the conversion process (hence the heat), so you would be drawing a bit more power than the radio needs on its own. I haven't tried it, myself, but I have read about other classic car enthusiasts that have done it successfully. Another thing to keep in mind is that the physical dimensions of car radios have changed over the years, so you would have to make sure it fits, and that you can get or make a faceplate to suit.

On another note, if you keep your newly restored 6v electrical system well maintained, you may find that you don't need a 12v system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio for 6 V and 12 V Reply with quote

Dan2973 wrote:
...the Blaupunkt are expensive aren’t they?

They can be. A freshly-restored vintage Blaupunkt might be in the $400 range, but some can be had for much less. It's best to make sure that any vintage radio you might consider is in full working condition before you buy, as repair costs can sometimes exceed the selling price. Assume that any radio described as "not tested" doesn't work.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio for 6 V and 12 V Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Dan2973 wrote:
...the Blaupunkt are expensive aren’t they?

They can be. A freshly-restored vintage Blaupunkt might be in the $400 range, but some can be had for much less. It's best to make sure that any vintage radio you might consider is in full working condition before you buy, as repair costs can sometimes exceed the selling price. Assume that any radio described as "not tested" doesn't work.
. Good point. (Not tested). I’m gonna keep an eye out In the classifieds for 6 V because my system is all new and clean with the new wiring harness and good grounds
Zandman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio for 6 V and 12 V Reply with quote

In my '67 6 volt I installed an amplifier with bluetooth I bought from amazon, but it can be found cheaper on aliexpress (7 USD).
It works on different voltages (5-24V), without any adjustments.
I hooked it up to the dash speaker, that was in my bug.
I steam wathever I like from my phone to this 'car stereo' (I put my phone's output to mono)

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000101528589.html?spm=a2g0z.12057483.1000001.8.45e024e8rAY7y3
Dan2973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Radio for 6 V and 12 V Reply with quote

Zandman wrote:
In my '67 6 volt I installed an amplifier with bluetooth I bought from amazon, but it can be found cheaper on aliexpress (7 USD).
It works on different voltages (5-24V), without any adjustments.
I hooked it up to the dash speaker, that was in my bug.
I steam wathever I like from my phone to this 'car stereo' (I put my phone's output to mono)

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000101528589.html?spm=a2g0z.12057483.1000001.8.45e024e8rAY7y3
. So are you saying you have a 12 v radio and you use the multi voltage amp in addition?
Zandman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Radio for 6 V and 12 V Reply with quote

I have no radio installed.
Just this amp (hooked up to a dash speaker), which can be used in 6 and 12V beetles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: