Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richdean2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

I know this thread hasn't had much activity in the past year or so....hope my post revives it!

So, Hi everyone! I've been racing motocross my whole life. But you all know the saying - "with age comes a cage", right? My body isn't what it used to be, especially since I've been battling cancer for the past 4 years (no excuses!). But, my mind still wants to compete.

I've always been fascinated with off-road buggy racing. Anyone here remember the buggy races Ascot used to hold back in the early 70's? Man, I sure would like to see something like that come about again! In my thoughts, there has to be a way to do some closed-course off-road VW powered racing, without having to go buy a $30k Can-Am or Polaris or whatever....I don't think - or know, if the Lucas series has a vintage class. Do they? I can't find any info, whether they do or don't....

Question to all of you - is there already racing like I remember going on? Looking through this thread, I see a lot of organizations listed that looks like what I'm talking about, in some form or another, right?

But here's the thing - I don't want to get into high-bucks super-serious "brand-new and best of everything" kind of racing. If I look through the classifieds on this site, there are a lot of "vintage" off road buggies for sale, many of them for prices that I view as "reasonable" to be able to go out and have some fun thrashing about in the dirt!

I live in Phoenix, AZ....lots of desert out here (lots of BLM land, actually)...one would think that there would be places to run closed course events....we have a few circle-tracks out here for the Sprint cars to race on....gee, if one of them could be convinced to add an Ascot style course...FUN, FUN, FUN!!

Does anyone know of any organizations in Arizona that would fit into what I'm talking about? I read some of you talking about rally-cross...that sounds like it would be a blast! Just something! ANYTHING! I've got great memories of going with my Dad to those Ascot races...he built a few buggies for a few of the drivers and it was always a big deal to me when I could hang out in the pits and see all the cars...

Anyway, long post but I hope it revives this thread! Please, let me know what you guys think or if you know of organizations here in Arizona that I could contact...hell, I'll try and start my own club if I have some guidance! (I know, I'd probably regret it! lol)

Thanks for reading!
JWHracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

richdean2 wrote:
I know this thread hasn't had much activity in the past year or so....hope my post revives it!

So, Hi everyone! I've been racing motocross my whole life. But you all know the saying - "with age comes a cage", right? My body isn't what it used to be, especially since I've been battling cancer for the past 4 years (no excuses!). But, my mind still wants to compete.

I've always been fascinated with off-road buggy racing. Anyone here remember the buggy races Ascot used to hold back in the early 70's? Man, I sure would like to see something like that come about again! In my thoughts, there has to be a way to do some closed-course off-road VW powered racing, without having to go buy a $30k Can-Am or Polaris or whatever....I don't think - or know, if the Lucas series has a vintage class. Do they? I can't find any info, whether they do or don't....

Question to all of you - is there already racing like I remember going on? Looking through this thread, I see a lot of organizations listed that looks like what I'm talking about, in some form or another, right?

But here's the thing - I don't want to get into high-bucks super-serious "brand-new and best of everything" kind of racing. If I look through the classifieds on this site, there are a lot of "vintage" off road buggies for sale, many of them for prices that I view as "reasonable" to be able to go out and have some fun thrashing about in the dirt!

I live in Phoenix, AZ....lots of desert out here (lots of BLM land, actually)...one would think that there would be places to run closed course events....we have a few circle-tracks out here for the Sprint cars to race on....gee, if one of them could be convinced to add an Ascot style course...FUN, FUN, FUN!!

Does anyone know of any organizations in Arizona that would fit into what I'm talking about? I read some of you talking about rally-cross...that sounds like it would be a blast! Just something! ANYTHING! I've got great memories of going with my Dad to those Ascot races...he built a few buggies for a few of the drivers and it was always a big deal to me when I could hang out in the pits and see all the cars...

Anyway, long post but I hope it revives this thread! Please, let me know what you guys think or if you know of organizations here in Arizona that I could contact...hell, I'll try and start my own club if I have some guidance! (I know, I'd probably regret it! lol)

Thanks for reading!

Check out Arizona Offroad Promotions (AZOP) and Southern Arizona Desert Racing (SADR). AZOP has usually 3 races per year (Wickenburg, Cinders in Flagstaff, and Gila Bend) for trucks and buggies. SADR has 4 races per year in Puerto Penasco, Mexico. AZOP courses are generally short loops, 25 miles, and held in tighter more technical terrain. SADR courses are usually long 80-150 mile loops held in more open, fast environments. The next AZOP race is in Gila Bend, Nov 18th and the next SADR race is the Point to Point Oct 6th.

2021 STORR Pro Air Cooled Buggy Champion
2019 AZOP Unlimited Buggy Champion
2017 SADR 1300 Class Champion
2016 AZOP Limited Buggy Champion

Currently "retired" from racing
richdean2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll look into those groups!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

Yep. I remember the SCIDA races at Ascot. My brother's father-in-law was the Chief of Tech for it. Elmer (Ernie) Waring. HE was also the Chief of Tech for NORRA for the Mexican 1000 and 500 races before SCORE took it over. I still have my mid-1970s Hi Jumper Ascot you see in my avatar. I KNOW why it carries that model name.

There have been some pictures shared in a thread in this HBBOffroad forum of the old races at Ascot. Same folks as in the Pikes Peak photos forum.

I did Tech a few years ago for a race series on a short course at Glen Helen near LA. Lots of older cars were still running the short course series there that the Lucas Oil Series took over. But LOORS took over and most of the older cars dropped out. There was also a series of 4 races a year called Baja Cup on longer courses (4-5 miles up in the hills as well as around down below near the pit area). And those races included plenty of older cars too. But then the facility management pulled the rug out from under the promoter and took over those races. Last race under old management had 135 entries. Next race under new management had 3 entries. I was the Chief of Tech and I wasn't told the date until I got a call during dinner the night before.

Yeah, there very well COULD BE a race series similar to the old Ascot races.It would be tough to maintain control over racers who always want better-faster race cars. A class similar to SCORE Class 9, but allowing linkpin front ends with limited mods, like 1600 Buggy rules. Limits on rear shocks, require torsion bar suspension. No coilovers, limited engines, etc. There are thousands of cars that COULD be used for such a race class. It would be relatively cheap fun.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L5wolvesf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

JWHracing wrote:
Check out Arizona Offroad Promotions (AZOP) and Southern Arizona Desert Racing (SADR). AZOP has usually 3 races per year (Wickenburg, Cinders in Flagstaff, and Gila Bend) for trucks and buggies. SADR has 4 races per year in Puerto Penasco, Mexico. AZOP courses are generally short loops, 25 miles, and held in tighter more technical terrain. SADR courses are usually long 80-150 mile loops held in more open, fast environments.

Thought I would update this thread a bit.

The Arizona Offroad Promotions (AZOP) group is still going https://www.azopracing.com/

I don't know about Southern Arizona Desert Racing (SADR) https://racesadr.com/. The site is up but hasn't been updated.

It looks like a number of the smaller / state race orgs websites are gone.

SNORE # 1196 sponsored by:
- www.356carburetorrescue.com/home.html
- Barnwerks Fabrication & Welding
- ArtSpeed Graphics

“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.”
S. McQueen
JWHracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

AZOP and SADR are both still active. SADR is more active about updating things via Facebook.

AZOP just raced in Wickenburg. Azop has a race 12/8 for trucks and buggies in Gila Bend.

SADR has a race in Puerto Penasco, the Cholla 250, on 12/7.

AZOP and SADR both have 4 race schedules planned for next year.

2021 STORR Pro Air Cooled Buggy Champion
2019 AZOP Unlimited Buggy Champion
2017 SADR 1300 Class Champion
2016 AZOP Limited Buggy Champion

Currently "retired" from racing
kyle_pc_75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

BOR is still around, though the web address isn't as shown in the beginning of this thread, it's www.bor-racing.org. It also looks like we don't have the 2020 schedule on there yet, but here it is:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Perm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

studebaker17 wrote:
canadian series

http://www.facebook.com/groups/281304268612762/

www.ooraonline.com

http://www.korrbc.ca/

ohio series

http://www.noora.freewebtools.com/

www.ooraonline.com is now https://www.oora.ca/
Schepp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Current VW Eligible Off-Road Races Reply with quote

Rallycross
For the amateur racer in Northern California.

https://www.norcalrallycross.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: