Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tacky Tiki Bus Projects
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Looks great, Larry, love all of the bamboo. Now you can really crank up "Wipeout"...well before your time, most likely.

Mine was under a foot of snow two days ago....

Rod
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Tiki bumpers
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2183953
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Saw this bus on Flea Bay a while back, and somewhere there was a link to the product and process of how this was done...some kind of architectural restoration/duplication product...kinda cool...I do like some of the "day-cor"!...ok, found the link...http://www.reallyweirdstuff.com/leopard-lair-ultra%20lounge-art-car.htm Makes mine look tame.
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

So, an update! Been busy re-imaging the Tacky Tiki Bus, most likely to increase the attractiveness to potential buyers...I really love it, but I won't even tell you guys how little I've driven it the last 5 (or 10, really) years out of the 20+ I've owned it...

Still went with the sort of subtle pinstripe flames, the 70s mural stuff is removed from the interior, new laminate flooring, and the tiki lights removed from the inside. Hopefully it retains the spirit of what we were trying to do, but not as over the top...
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Man, I'm going to miss the Tacky Tiki Bus updates.

But, yeah it's cleaner looking to sell for sure...
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

I'm going to miss those updates, too. Crying or Very sad

But I understand the need to make it attractive to a semi-tiki aficionado.
Best of luck to you.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Sad day.

PS. buy the rear side markers for selling, having those will help potential buyers see it as less of a project. Or at least stop them from thinking there may be unfinished projects.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Not completely finished, I have the side markers, front reflectors, and a few more small projects to go.

It is kinda of sad, I've had the bus a long time, but less than 100 miles in four years isn't enough...it has become more of an arts and crafts project than a vehicle, plus there are other factors involved, including my hands which are getting moderately arthritic. The VW world has changed as well...Back in the late 90s, I bought the camper table that is in the bus now for $5 plus shipping...and the guy sent it out before I even sent the check...now I get nasty comments on my abilities when I ask a technical question on the Samba, although I must admit I was pleasantly surprised how well this thread went.

I still want to have an old vehicle, possibly VW, so a "Tacky Tiki" dune buggy or something is still a possibility.

I'll try to take a lot of pictures and update any new projects and maybe evaluate some of the things we did, a lot of this was sort of an experiment on how to build cool stuff on a very limited budget, some more successful than others.

Thanks everybody, still a bit more to come!

Rod
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Rodmullet wrote:
...now I get nasty comments on my abilities when I ask a technical question on the Samba...

Surprised Gasp! Surprised

Nasty comments are being posted on The Samba?!? Surprised Shocked Crying or Very sad
Surely you must have misinterpreted.
Everyone is treated with utmost respect and dignity... Wink Rolling Eyes

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Perhaps you are correct. I am getting old and grouchy... Very Happy Shocked
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Perhaps you are correct. I am getting old and grouchy... Very Happy Shocked
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

So I promised a few more projects....

In place of my "Tiki Guy" interior lights, I came up with these "disco" lights, as I was calling them, except they aren't really disco, more like mid century modern 70s van lights...these are made from a little wooden box with a sliding cover I found at AC Moore, I replaced the cover with some scrap clear plexiglass painted with some clearance priced Testors candy apple red...even splattered some to give it some texture, add some scrap birch plywood, a couple of Walmart clearance led side marker lights...think I have about $6 in both of them...

I may like them better than the originals. The LEDs are pretty bright...they are little round side markers the size of a nickel.

Still some more to come.

Rod
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Somehow my wife managed to sew vinyl with one of her old sewing machines...I don't think she enjoyed it too much, but it came out great. As an aside, do you guys think that anyone would be interested in buying these if they were made of an indoor/outdoor fabric/canvas?

New carpeting for the rear deck area, made of recycled soda bottles, big piece at HD for $20...the vinyl was left over from the front door panels we did several years ago.

You can see the "disco" light in the background.

Still have a couple more!

Rod
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

So, the interior lights on the TTB did not function when I bought the bus, there was an old vacuum cleaner switch or something like it in the plastic part of the ventilation thingy by the driver's side door that operated a bare bulb attached to the sun visor...my hacks are marginally better...

The "disco lights" are powered off what used to be the rear window defroster...about one line was left that actually worked, so....

No functioning dome lights, the originals were trashed, so somewhere along the way I picked up a generic dome light, I believe on clearance at Walmart, a few dollars at most, and it is wired to the switch on the dash...I was never able to find out why the door switches don't work....but this does the job, it is pretty bright!

Lastly, I wanted some "mood" lighting in the cabin, again a clearance led light at Walmart, red led way under the passenger side dash, but it wasn't enough to illuminate the ignition switch area...so a trip to the local auto parts place yield a cheap enough ($4) solution, there was a bit of room on my gauge panel, so...

The switch is in the "original" position...like I said, my hacks are marginally better...

Still a couple more to come.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

So.... what happened, rodmullet?
Did you sell your Tiki Bus?

I enjoyed your thread and the work you put into your van/bus. Dancing

---WildIdea

Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

The slightly less Tacky Tiki bus is still with me, although it is for sale...I drive it around a bit to keep it in shape, and have been doing some clean up and maintenance stuff (boring)...plenty of that type of stuff on the Samba...

Thanks for the compliments, I was really trying to show you can do a lot with little money and a lot of work/imagination, and that after all it is just an old bus..
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

The slightly less Tacky Tiki bus is still with me, although it is for sale...I drive it around a bit to keep it in shape, and have been doing some clean up and maintenance stuff (boring)...plenty of that type of stuff on the Samba...

Thanks for the compliments, I was really trying to show you can do a lot with little money and a lot of work/imagination, and that after all it is just an old bus..
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Maybe it's trying to tell you to keep it Wink

I DID get excited to see the thread active again...
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

Maybe...or it is my usual impeccable timing in deciding to sell it late last fall (too cold)...and now, well, maybe not the greatest time to try...

I may revisit a few projects, and may continue with some posts if I do something interesting, don't think anyone wants to see me changing oil or checking the timing...

Thanks for the interest.

Rod
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tacky Tiki Bus Projects Reply with quote

So, the Tacky Tiki Bus is still with me...so I continue to do some work...not too Tiki, but maybe a bit tacky...my electric windshield washer conversion

And a repair/fix of the area where the two headliners come together...one of the people that came to look at the bus pulled on the mat headliner, and pulled it apart a bit, so I folded over some scrap tropical fabric, glued it, and it seems to be holding up well....

I guess, still more to come.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: