Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Right side face panel replacement on Westfalia kitchen
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanDwellerFeller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Right side face panel replacement on Westfalia kitchen Reply with quote

I'd like to replace the face panel on the right side of my Westy kitchen. I know how to remove the fridge side but the sink side doesn't seem to have a way to remove it. Did I miss it or is it impossible to remove without damaging the entire kitchen? The "wood" is pretty damaged so I can't put a striker plate to keep the door closed and one of the screws is pretty stripped. I currently have a bungee cord keeping the door closed. I circled the section I'd like to replace in the photo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Right side face panel replacement on Westfalia kitchen Reply with quote

That panel is morticed, glued and stapled in place. Yes, the whole kitchen has to be dismantled to remove it. I had to do that to shrink that panel by 20mm width-ways to fit the TF65 fridge, and it was NOT FUN.

If it's damaged so that the latch striker can't be fitted, surely just make a new striker from some sheet metal that is much longer and can be securely fastened to the good bits of the surround. Perhaps gluing in a new section, or constructing a fibreglass filling might work? Anything to avoid removing it if at all possible!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Right side face panel replacement on Westfalia kitchen Reply with quote

For stripped out wood screws, I will glue tooth picks into the hole. Trim flush when the glue dries and your ready to reuse the screw holes. Never had it not work.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Right side face panel replacement on Westfalia kitchen Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
...I will glue tooth picks into the hole...

Wood matchsticks also work fine.
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Right side face panel replacement on Westfalia kitchen Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
MarkWard wrote:
...I will glue tooth picks into the hole...

Wood matchsticks also work fine.

Makes me think of my band touring days, using shredded pieces of drumsticks as filler for stripped guitar strap locks. Laughing
Some people call him Maurice...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: