Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fridge replacement projects - post here
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
owokie wrote:

Floor jack?! Hahaha....

way easier and i didn't spill my beer. work smarter, not harder.

Is it not more work to lift a floor jack into a van than a fridge into its cubby?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
dabaron wrote:
owokie wrote:

Floor jack?! Hahaha....

Is it not more work to lift a floor jack into a van than a fridge into its cubby?

how exactly am i supporting the fridge while i hold my beer and screw thru the metal chassis into the wood supports?

are you suggesting i put down my beer?

BiWerks Design, LLC
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
owokie wrote:
dabaron wrote:
owokie wrote:

Floor jack?! Hahaha....

how exactly am i supporting the fridge while i hold my beer and screw thru the metal chassis into the wood supports?

are you suggesting i put down my beer?

Do you think I'm crazy? Didn't realize it was suspended absent the usual shelf most use. Now it all makes sense.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
Bill Berg wrote:
Very nice but with shipping over 300 bucks more than C-51

Not sure what the C51 runs but I was all in at $719.35 from camperinteriors.co.uk. I also didn't have to fart around with the front fascia or purchase any grey formica. Worth it to me, perhaps not to others.

Whereas the TF65 was $559 all in - but that does need some woodwork. Hardboard and a rattle-can takes care of the front fascia. Wink
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

owokie wrote:

Do you think I'm crazy?

depends on how many Vanagons you own. haha.

BiWerks Design, LLC
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
owokie wrote:
Bill Berg wrote:
Very nice but with shipping over 300 bucks more than C-51

Not sure what the C51 runs but I was all in at $719.35 from camperinteriors.co.uk. I also didn't have to fart around with the front fascia or purchase any grey formica. Worth it to me, perhaps not to others.

Whereas the TF65 was $559 all in - but that does need some woodwork. Hardboard and a rattle-can takes care of the front fascia. Wink

In for a penny, in for a pound, m8. Confused

Also, your install looks very much like the slightly off-colour Formica available in beige. Methinks you stretch the truth?

This is paint:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by owokie on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
owokie wrote:

Do you think I'm crazy?

depends on how many Vanagons you own. haha.

Zero ATM. Wait, what am I doing here......
Bill Berg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Ok, I did not try the UK for the Vitrifirgo 50i, actually cheaper shipped from there than only listing I could find here so only 63 dollar dif, not bad then.
Bill Berg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

How did you secure the Vitrifrigo c50i to walls without mounting flange ?
owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Bill Berg wrote:
How did you secure the Vitrifrigo c50i to walls without mounting flange ?

Exactly as original, at least in this Westy: Put the fridge where I wanted it, drilled tiny pilot holes where the original screws went through side of cabinet into fridge, then screwed through wall into side of fridge. Choose your screw length carefully.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Seemingly late to the party, I got a deal on a TF49 I couldn't pass up and did the deed.

Instead of cutting up my clean 86 cabinet I decided to experiment with an old 82 style cabinet I had lying around. Got rid of the small drawer on right side, removed all sink pieces ( I don't ever use it ) and expanded my storage a lot. Got the metal parts powder coated in black and had some nice mahogany planks lying around looking for a project so I redid the top and did some anointments and fridge backing mounts for the TF49.

I originally cut and set up a cabinet drawer at the top or fridge, didn't like how far away the compressor etc was from the side vent grille, so moved the drawer to the bottom. Also installed the Non Canadian version fold down dish rack ( I always wanted one for fun ! Smile ) left over form the old destroyed stove cover top.

This fridge had the Cascadia mounting kit on it from factory. I kept that to give the extra air for cooling at the bottom of the fridge. I'll try to get it installed shortly in the van ... I'm just running it temporarily off 45ah UPS batteries ( 9x5aH) as they were free until I go Group31 under rear bench.

Damn, it was a lot of work.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Here is mine. Used the frame from the original fridge and cut the lower portion off. I had to use a jigsaw to make the opening a bit wider to fit around the fridge. I reinstalled the surround using L brackets (6) to hold it in place. I also installed a shelf for the fridge to sit on. Finally I constructed a drawer for the space below. Hayden

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

I find it interesting you changed over the opening side. We thought about it (why open one way rather than the other?) and came down heavily as leaving the hinges to the right.
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

I couldnt open door wide enough to the left to open the ice box.
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Fridge came with the door hung as is. I didn't change it. to me makes since opening this way. You can stand at the sink or stove and still get into the fridge. Now with the bed open.......
therastavan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

WestiT3_1986 wrote:
Hi guys,

atm I am attampting the install of a Waeco CRX50 with the optional 230V/12V switch - aka the campervanculture solution.

The fridge seems to have the same regulator as the Truckfridge TF49/Vitrofrigo. Like that one here:

Should be the 101N0500

I would like to add an external switch to shut off the fridge completely (either in the night for sleeping or in the cars hibernation times.) Especially for the nights I would like to have an external switch - because switching off on the inside drains a lot of the cool air the is inside the fridge.

Has any of you already done this?
Thanks for your help.

Greetings from Germany!
Sven

How does the CRX50 fit so flush? The depth seems more than the Truckfridge.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

therastavan wrote:
WestiT3_1986 wrote:
Hi guys,

atm I am attampting the install of a Waeco CRX50 with the optional 230V/12V switch - aka the campervanculture solution.

The fridge seems to have the same regulator as the Truckfridge TF49/Vitrofrigo. Like that one here:

Should be the 101N0500

I would like to add an external switch to shut off the fridge completely (either in the night for sleeping or in the cars hibernation times.) Especially for the nights I would like to have an external switch - because switching off on the inside drains a lot of the cool air the is inside the fridge.

Has any of you already done this?
Thanks for your help.

Greetings from Germany!
Sven

How does the CRX50 fit so flush? The depth seems more than the Truckfridge.
could it be that notch in the back sheet metal?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
therastavan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

Researched the heck out of the best option for a new fridge. Most said the Truckfridge TF49, but it’s Chinese and sticks out a lot plus it only comes in black. There were new Dometics but they wouldn’t fill in that huge empty space. Then I came across a lone post by “owokie” on the Samba forum. He swore by the Vitrifrigo C50i. Said it was the best choice. Nobody listened to him. I did. Hunted a new one from CamperInteriors.co.uk in the UK because nobody sells this model Vitrifrigo in the USA. It’s Italian. It’s the perfect color. It’s the perfect size. Fits flush. It’s just PERFECT! This is THE BEST refrigerator for the Westfalia. Period. Installed in 20 minutes. Not too deep to require any cutting behind it. May be the first C50i install in a Westfalia in the entire USA but I am very happy with it and encourage anyone who is interested in a replacement fridge to check this out. SUPER QUIET too!
Link to buy the refrigerator:
https://us-camperinteriors.glopalstore.com/collect...ge-12v-24v
Also, I used the optional fitting frame:
https://us-camperinteriors.glopalstore.com/collect...ting-frame
Link for the connectors I used to easily connect the wires to the Westfalia wiring:
https://www.acerracing.com/collections/powerpole-connectors/products/powerpole-connectors-10-pair
And the crimping tool for the connectors:
https://www.acerracing.com/collections/powerpole-c...e-contacts

Last edited by therastavan on Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:26 am; edited 3 times in total
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

therastavan wrote:
Researched the heck out of the best option for a new fridge. Most said the Truckfridge TF49, but it’s Chinese and sticks out a lot plus it only comes in black. There were new Dometics but they wouldn’t fill in that huge empty space. Then I came across a lone post by “owokie” on the Samba forum. He swore by the Vitrifrigo C50i. Said it was the best choice. Nobody listened to him. I did. Hunted a new one from CamperInteriors.co.uk in the UK because nobody sells this model Vitrifrigo in the USA. It’s Italian. It’s the perfect color. It’s the perfect size. Fits flush. It’s just PERFECT! This is THE BEST refrigerator for the Westfalia. Period. Installed in 20 minutes. Not too deep to require any cutting behind it.
[Pic]

More details please! How was that fridge wired? It seems 12V only, is there an option for running the fridge off 110VAC?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: fridge replacement projects - post here Reply with quote

fishgo wrote:
More details please! How was that fridge wired? It seems 12V only, is there an option for running the fridge off 110VAC?

Using a simple off the shelf AC to DC voltage convertor, it would be simple to run and 12 v DC item on AC shore power.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 34

Jump to: