Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

ocelotpotpie wrote:

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

I installed a trans dipstick kit, which I think was purchased from Poptop Heaven.

Can you confirm where you got this?I thought the dipsticks were no longer available.

If still an option, it's definitely something I'd recommend jmciii pick up. It's easy to drain excess fluid but otherwise pretty tough to know if you're low.

Sorry, it's europarts-sd

https://europarts-sd.com/transmissiondipstickkit-eurovan1995-2003.asp

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

I got a little lost on this thread also, so let me try to bring it back on track:

First, Vanagons rule - I don't think I'd bring it back to that shop. The P codes are generic OBDII scan tool codes. I'm going to sound like a broken record but you really want a VW specific scan tool. The information it gives you is night and day.

One quick thing to try is to swap the coilpacks and see if the misfire moves.

If you're getting misfires on 3 and 5, swap 3 to 4 and see if it moves. Same with 5 - try moving to 6.

It's possible the misfires are a timing chain, but it's a lot easier to move the coilpacks and inspect the plugs than it is to pull the upper timing cover.

For reference, if you're facing the engine, cylinder 1 is top left. Cylinder 6 is the right most one.

So it'll look kinda like:
1 3 5
2 4 6

I'd get a proper scan tool such as VCDS, or find a local VW person who has one, and swap the coil from 3 to 4. See if the misfire moves. if it does, your misfire is the coils. If it doesn't, you can dig further by inspecting/swapping plugs.

This is very doable from above in a parking lot without removing a bunch of stuff if you're willing to get your hands dirty or have someone help.

If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, look for a VW specific shop - or better yet, one with proper Eurovan experience - and bring it to them for diagnosis. A lot of the common problems on these vans are very easy to diagnose for someone familiar with them and with the proper tools.

Finally, if it IS the timing chains, it's an expensive job. But definitely don't have the shop that pulled those codes do it. If they don't have the proper VW scan tool I wouldn't trust them to properly do the timing chains on that engine. I've done it myself several times and it has a few gotchas.
Vanagons rule
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

Thanks for the continued input! I decided to take the van for my first campout. No CEL since my first post on this topic but it is not a daily driver. Got it all packed up to head up into the mountains to get out of the heat. As soon as I started it up, the CEL came on, of course. With my code reader still not“talking” to my van, my daughter and I headed up anyway. 6,000 ft of climbing and about an hour plus of driving. Some dirt roads. It did great. No funny noises that I could tell.
Camped overnight, did some hiking, came down about 2,000ft in elevation (Now 8,000ft) and stopped at a state park visitor center. When I came out 5-10’ later. The CEL was gone. Drove to visit a friend’s campsite nearby. When leaving 1-2 hours later, CEL was back on for the whole drive back home.
I may drive it over to Auto zone this week to have them pull the code(s).
I’m really happy to finally camp in it.
Can someone post a link to the good code reader mentioned above?
Why would my code reader “talk” to my ‘11 Subaru but not this ‘03 Eurovan?

'03 Weekender
Past VW's: '82 Camper x2, '88 Syncro weekender, '88 Syncro, '86 Weekender, few baywindows, split window, couple bugs, and a thing Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagons rule
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

Sorry ocelotpotpie, I somehow missed your post when I posted above.
The shop I brought the van to was the local vw dealer and I posted what they said on the printout I was given.
I’ll see if I can ask a friend to help with your recommendations on the coil packs and plugs. Thanks for your input!

'03 Weekender
Past VW's: '82 Camper x2, '88 Syncro weekender, '88 Syncro, '86 Weekender, few baywindows, split window, couple bugs, and a thing Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

Check your obd port for voltage on the pin 16 and continuity to ground on pins5 and 6. It could just be you’ve lost supply and your CAN BUS is ok

Let us know if you need a walkthrough on those checks. You will need a $10 analog , not digital, voltmeter.

Very Happy
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

Vanagons rule wrote:
Sorry ocelotpotpie, I somehow missed your post when I posted above.
The shop I brought the van to was the local vw dealer and I posted what they said on the printout I was given.
I’ll see if I can ask a friend to help with your recommendations on the coil packs and plugs. Thanks for your input!

It's definitely off that an actual VW dealer would print out generic codes and not the proper VW codes read using the VAS1551/etc tool they should have.

You could call around to some European specialty shops in your area and ask them if they have the VW-specific tool. Most of the ones worth their salt will and I know there's a bunch of VW and Audi shops in Colorado, though they may all be in Denver.

Codes coming and going tends to be a good sign, though. It usually means stuff needs work but it isn't vital yet. The system will throw a CEL/MIL when it gets an error and then after some time it will disable the light, but keep the code stored.

You can try Autozone but their reader will only give you the generic codes.

Again, I sound like a broken record but you really want the VW specific tool. The difference is staggering. Or bite the bullet and buy the tool yourself. The "three VIN" option from Ross-Tech is $199. Not a bad price to pay for being able to diagnose your own stuff.
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

ocelotpotpie wrote:
The "three VIN" option from Ross-Tech is $199. Not a bad price to pay for being able to diagnose your own stuff.

And VCDS-lite is half that price, and works with a generic KKL OBD-usb cable.

I don't think electrickery works that way
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
ocelotpotpie wrote:
The "three VIN" option from Ross-Tech is $199. Not a bad price to pay for being able to diagnose your own stuff.

And VCDS-lite is half that price, and works with a generic KKL OBD-usb cable.

IMO it's worth spending the money on the full version. Even if that means buying a used cable for the software instead. You miss a lot of features you'll want on the Lite version. Nothing more frustrating than ponying up the money for the proper tool and then finding out you're missing one of the bits you want to use with it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

See if there is someone with the AUTEL SCANNER nearby. I can do about 90% of VAG with mine, and I use it in 6 other cars , too.

I hate the “ taggedto VIN” business model. Sell me the hardware and move on.
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I hate the “ taggedto VIN” business model. Sell me the hardware and move on.

Definitely agree. I have an older cable that isn't tied to any VINs. If I were to lose or have to replace mine now I'd hop on eBay and buy an older cable again.

Seems like the used cables have gone up a bunch in price, though, because of the VIN binding.
Vanagons rule
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

Got the recent code(s) read at O’reilly’s since I don’t have a good code reader yet. One says “pending”

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any thoughts on my next move? Just keep driving it? Get the fancy code reader?

'03 Weekender
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

IMO if you plan to keep the van for a while then you should invest in the VCDS code reader.

The "pending" code means the torque converter slipped but isn't actively a problem. That could mean low fluid, impending torque converter failure, or it could mean someone was mean to the transmission and now it's fine. Hard to say for sure.

This is why I'd get the VW code reader. You may have more hidden codes that will point to culprits.

The first code could be the cam adjuster. It's a common issue to have the screen be hosed and throw this code. But, again, without more info or diving into the engine it's hard to know for sure.
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

IMO if you plan to keep the van for a while then you should invest in the VCDS code reader.

The "pending" code means the torque converter slipped but isn't actively a problem. That could mean low fluid, impending torque converter failure, or it could mean someone was mean to the transmission and now it's fine. Hard to say for sure.

This is why I'd get the VW code reader. You may have more hidden codes that will point to culprits.

The first code could be the cam adjuster. It's a common issue to have the screen be hosed and throw this code. But, again, without more info or diving into the engine it's hard to know for sure.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

Just clear the codes and drive on for another few weeks, see what comes back

Both of those codes are SAE standard, sine the first number is ‘0’

POxxx

That means the $29.99 scanner will read them, too. Everyone one of my girls got one for their car , along with a cigar cutter for removing toxic male parts
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnose Codes. Is it a timing chain? Reply with quote

I don't know if this is helpful to you with out a VCDS/VagCom scanner but if you did have one, in "Measuring Blocks" Group #208 and #209 will give you that data on the cam phaser's differential timing. -3kw to -6kw is new chains, guides and so on. A -8kw to -10kw is dancing with damage if it hasn't happened yet.

Granted, this is a dynamic value. If the screen is clogging a passage then that could skew your readings.

If some one has VCDS/VagCom, go look at your engines status.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: