Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has used one of the black oxide kits available from Caswell Plating or Eastwood?

I'm considering buying the Caswell black oxide kit to use on things like the shock bolts in the back, valance bolts, pedal pan bolts and washers, etc. My beam was already rebuilt and the person who rebuilt it had a plating shop black oxide the hardware to make all the bolts, etc black. That said, I have many pieces of hardware for the bus that are rusty.

The Caswell kit comes with the black oxide concentrate, the penetrating sealer which is an oil of some sort, or there is an option to get a Caswell sealer that is considered dry. Anyone use this specific product, which sealer did you like better oily or dry?

Am I correct in my belief that the hardware I mentioned above was originally black? Or, were the rear shock bolt, washer, and nut just bare metal? When I checked the repo stuff from WW the shock bolt is black and the nut and washer are just metal. I'd considered buying all new bolts, as mine were rusty, but I have a blaster and thought if the black oxide kit works, why not save some money and reuse the original hardware.

Below is the kit I was looking at through Caswell.

https://www.caswellplating.com/metal-finishing-sol...5-gal.html

Last edited by Spitty1974 on Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

Think it is one of those, it depends on the year. Black early, plain zinc later.

Do beware of blasting the threads, you can easily end up with fasteners that self disassemble when vibrated.....
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

You can try removing the rust with a rock tumbler. I use aquarium gravel and dawn soap to clean coins I find metal detecting. Cleans them well and doesnt mar anything up. You can also try some other tumbling media too. It takes a little time but works great and I dont think it will mess up your threads if you use something softer than aquarium gravel.

56 Beetle - Wilbur. I found a lot of lipstick on this pig so far.
63 Beetle - Luna
66 13 window Bus - Tetanus
71 Bay Window - Lola. Totaled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

Thank you for the information and suggestions. I ordered the Caswell kit with the penetrating oily sealer. Once it arrives, I’ll report back here with some information and example pictures.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

I sandblast the heads of bolts then heat them with a torch and dip in oil. Makes them rust resistant with a nice black finish depending on the type of oil you use. I've been using linseed oil.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

I bought the Caswell Black Oxide kit, they had it on sale. I figured I’d give it a whirl after talking to another member who had good results using it.

The kit came with an oxide concentrate that you mix with distilled water and the penetrating sealer. I chose the oily sealer based on the member’s recommendation. I did read online that several folks use motor oil, but I just went for the Caswell formulated sealer.

The directions suggested 5 minutes for the oxide bath, then a rinse in distilled water, and then into the penetrating oil for 5 min. After the oil bath, the treated part is to air dry.

I decided to do a quick test with two rear shock bolts. The bolts were cleaned by media blasting. I placed them into the oxide bath for 5 minutes and they were black, but I decided I’d go a few minutes more,and they turned a little darker. I may experiment tomorrow and leave something in for 10 min. After the oxide, I gave them a quick rinse in distilled water, and then into the penetrating oil. I let them soak in the oil for 5 minutes per the instructions, Then I pulled them out to air dry on a towel.

Overall, I think the results are good. I’ll experiment a little more and report back if any results change drastically.

Below are the results in Pictures.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

Those look great. Thanks for the update.
I'm curious how they'll hold up to the elements over time. I suspect they'll do well.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

Nice job Spitty1974, this should be a sticky.
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
Those look great. Thanks for the update.
I'm curious how they'll hold up to the elements over time. I suspect they'll do well.

I hope it helps someone looking to do the same process. Maybe others out there have experience using this product, or a similar product, and can add in their experience in regards to the longevity.

The member I spoke to mentioned they used the treatment a few years back, and last they checked, all the treated pieces looked good.

All the hardware I treat will go onto my bus that’s getting a full restoration. I’m not sure I’ll have it in bad weather conditions for too long, and it’ll be garaged. That said, I agree with you that it should be good for a long while, but time will tell...

Last edited by Spitty1974 on Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Nice job Spitty1974, this should be a sticky.

Very Happy
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
I bought the Caswell Black Oxide kit, they had it on sale. I figured I’d give it a whirl after talking to another member who had good results using it.

Effin-A! You’ve resolved all of my concerns but one: what’s the longevity of going this route? Looks badass. I’d assume it’ll protect hardware for years. Great work and thanks for the overview of the process.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

end result looks great, I was trying to figure out what to do with all my bolts and nuts I sandblasted for my front and rear brakes rebuild, now know what to do.

Thanks for sharing:
here is the casswell link for folks in CANADA: https://www.caswellcanada.ca/black-oxide-kit.html
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

After the 20 minutes of drying do they feel oily or are they dry dry.
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Think it is one of those, it depends on the year. Black early, plain zinc later.

What’s the rough cutoff date between the 2 finishes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

I've been doing this for years, unfortunately the longevity varies.

Tried all kinds of sealers, even flat clear....nothing has held up.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
After the 20 minutes of drying do they feel oily or are they dry dry.

Slightly oily, but not bad. There was a fan going in the garage, but not directly over the parts.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

Douglas Denlinger wrote:

Has this been the case across the board with parts regularly exposed to the elements (daily driver) versus a garaged vehicle not out in the elements daily?
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

Sick work they look great I've had some done for a cashbox tranny I built and they make the KAMAX bolts have a whole new life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
Douglas Denlinger wrote:

Has this been the case across the board with parts regularly exposed to the elements (daily driver) versus a garaged vehicle not out in the elements daily?

My latest batch started to fail sitting in the parts bin.

A restoration that I did 10 years ago recently arrived back at the shop....some held up, some not. That vehicle has been on the road, kept outside.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Black Oxide Kit, Anyone Ever Use One? Reply with quote

I have done this too. You don't need a kit. The process does indeed leave a nice uniform black coating, but it is far inferior to electroplated zinc. In order for a coating to protect, it must either form a barrier or it must be sacrificial in that it gives up its ions before the base metal does. The black zinc coatings don't really do that, so consider this process as something for appearance only. I would never do it on any part exposed to water or humidity for any period of time. It will just rust again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: