Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

full flow or pump cover with outlet
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MitchS046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: full flow or pump cover with outlet Reply with quote

1915 hot street with an remote mounted oil cooler needs a full flow setup right? I recently came across oil pump covers with in and outlet and an build in pressure valve. with route should I go? prices are about the same but the pump cover is much easier.

talking about this one https://www.csp-shop.com/en/engine/oil-pump-easyfl...html[/url]

~ mark divine
bedlamite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: full flow or pump cover with outlet Reply with quote

Full flow is better. The in/out pumps are restrictive.
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: full flow or pump cover with outlet Reply with quote

That works in the same fashion, 100% of the oil out, then back = full flow. Better chance of success having the in/out on the pump cover than taking the risk of cracking the return port in the case when you install the fitting. And no that cover is not restrictive for the application your using it on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: full flow or pump cover with outlet Reply with quote

I have come to the conclusion while working with hydraulics on tractors that when the fluid is forced threw a smaller opening it actually creates excessive heat in the cylendar. Compared to the same average amount of cycle times in the same cylendar with the same pump and a wider I.D. fitting.

Would this same thing not happen when the oil is pushed threw the smaller opening in the more restrictive pump?

It just seems to me that we can get a less restrictive fitting onto the block with less turns and bends. Which should in theory help in keeping oil cooler.

Any thoughts?
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: full flow or pump cover with outlet Reply with quote

I see completely normal oil pressure with the in / out pump on a CB Maxi 3 with a 26mm oil pump.

I have reinstalled a full flow oil system in a field while camping using a CB Maxi 3. .. fitted new engine, completed run in and decided to reinstate full flow .

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: full flow or pump cover with outlet Reply with quote

Paul Jr wrote:
I have come to the conclusion while working with hydraulics on tractors that when the fluid is forced threw a smaller opening it actually creates excessive heat in the cylendar. Compared to the same average amount of cycle times in the same cylendar with the same pump and a wider I.D. fitting.

Would this same thing not happen when the oil is pushed threw the smaller opening in the more restrictive pump?

It just seems to me that we can get a less restrictive fitting onto the block with less turns and bends. Which should in theory help in keeping oil cooler.

Any thoughts?

Friction is also added along the length of the hose/tubing/whatever that's used to plumb the system. And it increases in direct proportion to the length of it. Longer plumbing=more friction/heat.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: full flow or pump cover with outlet Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Paul Jr wrote:

Any thoughts?

Friction is also added along the length of the hose/tubing/whatever that's used to plumb the system. And it increases in direct proportion to the length of it. Longer plumbing=more friction/heat.

So the extra time spent returning from the front of the pump cover back to the main oil galley is better or worse than the hose being unattached to the engine heat longer and entering directly in threw a wider opening with less restriction?
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: full flow or pump cover with outlet Reply with quote

Paul Jr wrote:

So the extra time spent returning from the front of the pump cover back to the main oil galley is better or worse than the hose being unattached to the engine heat longer and entering directly in threw a wider opening with less restriction?
I don't know. A large enough I.D. on the hose should negate the friction imposed by the hose to the point where it would be negligible compared to that caused by the limitations of the fittings. But I think that there's probably some trade-offs one way or the other no matter how you do it. Personally, I like the High Quality filter pumps due to their simplicity. But they have their limitations. Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: full flow or pump cover with outlet Reply with quote

I can say that with the same hoses and smaller ID fittings after 1 hour you could not touch the cylendars without hurting your hand. With the wider fittings and less restrictive return line the cylendars were easy to grab and hold.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: full flow or pump cover with outlet Reply with quote

without knowing for sure the flow rate (GPM) thru the fitting sizes, you cannot say anything about heating with any accuracy.

Look at the bore size for the oil galleys in the case.. how big are they?

In/Out pumps are just fine.

Just a different way to skin a cat.
MitchS046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: full flow or pump cover with outlet Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
without knowing for sure the flow rate (GPM) thru the fitting sizes, you cannot say anything about heating with any accuracy.

Look at the bore size for the oil galleys in the case.. how big are they?

In/Out pumps are just fine.

Just a different way to skin a cat.

Fittings on the cover are M18x1,5/ 3/8th NPT so guessing pretty big

~ mark divine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: