Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upgrade to Brighter Headlights
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikerneil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

I have a 2003 Eurovan and would like to increase the brightness of my headlights.

Has anyone else used the Philips Xtreme lamps?
- If so, are you happy with the results?
- Do you get significant increase in light levels?
- I assume it is a whiter light as well??

Thanks.
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

I haven't used those bulbs, sorry. However, adding relays helps. Switching to Euro-spec light housings helps even more. Both are more work and more expense than bulbs, but you will gain more improvement from these options.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

Try the relay kit first. It's plug and play
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

hikerneil wrote:
I have a 2003 Eurovan and would like to increase the brightness of my headlights.

Has anyone else used the Philips Xtreme lamps?
- If so, are you happy with the results?
- Do you get significant increase in light levels?
- I assume it is a whiter light as well??

Thanks.

Get different headlights. Changing out the bulbs doesn't work. It will make it brighter when you are looking at it from the opposing direction but the cutoff is pretty bad, it's more like a blur. Nothing for distance.

Pick something from here (except for the OEM European headlight):
https://www.fk-shop.de/en/Tuning/Lighting-Tuning/H...and+drive/

I have an older set and I can tell you they are way better than the OEM ones. Even with regular old bulbs in them. Currently I have LED's for high beam (which are like two big spotlights thus great when you go camping in the boonies and drive at night) and the lower are some old HID's I had laying around. The only issue is that European lights do not have parking lights in the corners. So you have to use the same bulb holder and like me, use a hot glue gun to keep them in. You could just use the parking lights as the LED DRL's they have on it.

Trust me, I went from US to Euro and tried every bulb imaginable. HID was no good for them at all. With the newer light assemblies, it was such a change that I wonder how in the world I put up with the old headlights so long. The lighting is like on my Alltrack (which has the HID lighting package). It looks like with the projector lights they have, you could probably do HID in those and be fine.

One other thing, if you are really good, you can clean out the inside of the headlights because the seem to have a white haze all over the inside of them which I assume is from the plastic out gassing for 15 years. It comes on gradually and you never really notice it.
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

i have the Philips 9004 X-tremeVision bulbs in my ev. they are an improvement over the sylvania bulbs that came with the van. whiter and slightly further throw. it's not a huge improvement but it is noticeable.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

You’ve either glazed over the glass or your reflectors have died from ozone

In CA the latter is common

The stock lights on my 2002are awesome in the inky black Berkshires
billwiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

I replaced my bulbs with a LED bulb package, the back cover will not fit with this type bulb. Very bright, almost to bright. I now need to adjust them down some because I get a lot of on coming cars flashing at me with my lights on dim.
d-9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

Relays make the biggest difference due to the voltage drop over the factory wiring and switch.

I've used Philips extreme-some-amazing-percent-light-bulbs and they help compared to standard Chinese bulbs, particularly when fed through relays because you get a nice white light.

Aftermarket HID and LED typically give a very poor beam pattern and dazzle oncoming drivers.
katmndoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

I'll second the relays. Quick and easy to install if you buy a kit. It doesn't need to be Eurovan specific, just specific to the bulb socket type (H4, 9003, etc).

You can roll your own, but you won't save a lot over the pre-made harnesses.
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

katmndoo wrote:
I'll second the relays. Quick and easy to install if you buy a kit. It doesn't need to be Eurovan specific, just specific to the bulb socket type (H4, 9003, etc).

For those of you that added the relay to your wiring setup. Can you provide a link to some kits?

thanks,
Noryia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

orbeamike wrote:
katmndoo wrote:

For those of you that added the relay to your wiring setup. Can you provide a link to some kits?

thanks,

Just be aware that the long nose Eurovan variant (VR6 models) can't use the existing, currently on the market, relays from busdepot (us) or justkampers (uk) without modification to the cap. The plugs aren't compatible with the long nose lights. I've seen some history of relays for the long nose but those ebay listings are expired. I have been looking at figuring out a set of adapters for H4 to Euro d-plug but so far it has been a struggle. I reached out to busdepot to correct their listing.

-Edit BusDepot responded with clarification

Also I have a spare relay that doesn't work for my van...

Last edited by Noryia on Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

Quote:
Just be aware that the long nose Eurovan variant (VR6 models) can't use the existing, currently on the market, relays from busdepot (us) or justkampers (uk) without modification. The plugs aren't compatible with the long nose lights. I've seen some history of relays for the long nose but those ebay listings are expired. I have been looking at figuring out a set of adapters for H4 to Euro d-plug but so far it has been a struggle. I reached out to busdepot to correct their listing.

Actually our relay kit WILL work with the 97-up US spec headlights. But rather than plugging into the little D-plug on the outside of the headlight assembly, it plugs directly into the backs of the bulbs. Instructions are included for notching the dust cap to allow the wire to pass through. This also provides a more direct feed to the bulbs, further improving performance and reliability.

Here's a direct link to the kit. https://www.busdepot.com/HRK3

BTW the kit can be used on earlier Eurovans as well if you splice on different headlight plugs, but we are not listing it for that use yet as we don't have instructions prepared.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Noryia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:

Actually our relay kit WILL work with the 97-up US spec headlights. But rather than plugging into the little D-plug on the outside of the headlight assembly, it plugs directly into the backs of the bulbs. Instructions are included for notching the dust cap to allow the wire to pass through. This also provides a more direct feed to the bulbs, further improving performance and reliability.

BTW the kit can be used on earlier Eurovans as well if you splice on different headlight plugs, but we are not listing it for that use yet as we don't have instructions prepared.

I'll update my original post to say "without modification to the cap."
JFBx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

Just ordered a set from BusDepot. Many thanks.

--jb
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

Daniel Stern is very help with relays, wiring or any other issues with headlights

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

I should mention that while adding relays will usually help, it does not address the biggest weakness which is the lenses themselves. We in the U.S. got different headlights from the rest of the word, with far inferior beam dispersion and control, thanks to archaic D.O.T. regulations. Nothing you shine through those lenses can truly compensate for that deficit. It can help, to be sure, but ultimately you're still "polishing a turd." For maximum improvement you want to replace your U.S. spec headlights with proper European-spec E-codes and H4 bulbs (optimally with relays as well). We sell kits for early and late Eurovans:

https://www.busdepot.com/701941017kit (early)
https://www.busdepot.com/7d1941005kit (late)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

A big second on the headlight upgrade. The e-codes have a much better beam pattern and are a pretty damn good bargain for the price.

Cool to see Busdepot responding on the forum also!
orbeamike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Quote:
Just be aware that the long nose Eurovan variant (VR6 models) can't use the existing, currently on the market, relays from busdepot (us) or justkampers (uk) without modification. The plugs aren't compatible with the long nose lights. I've seen some history of relays for the long nose but those ebay listings are expired. I have been looking at figuring out a set of adapters for H4 to Euro d-plug but so far it has been a struggle. I reached out to busdepot to correct their listing.

Do you mind also post the instructions for the relay kit. I just want to see what it takes to install it on a 2001.

thanks,
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

The wiring is really simple. There are + and - ring terminals that go to your battery. There are also two sockets that connect directly to your actual headlight bulbs in place of the factory ones. There is a 5th plug that connects inside the passenger side headlamp to the factory socket that used to connect to the bulb before you unplugged it. That's it for wiring, it's literally plug-and-play.

You will have to notch the dust cap behind your headlight to allow the wire to pass through it. It's a tiny notch and I used a pair of wire cutters. It took me 5 or 10 minutes with a pair of wire cutters. A dremmel tool would be faster/easier but I weighed that time savings against the time it would take to remember where I put my dremmel tool. Smile The instructions show you pics of where the notch goes.

Most of the harness resides on the passenger side, except for the single wire that stretches across to the driver side to plug into that headlight bub. That wire makes a straight shot across the front of the engine bay, above the grill and just below the hood latch. You'll want to use a few wire ties or something similar (not included) to secure the wire and relays.

That's about it.
lucksp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Brighter Headlights Reply with quote

my mechanic recommends Xenon Halogen bulbs for brightness.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: