Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drop spindles Disk or Drum
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mykidsbug wrote:
Joe Bence wrote:
If you are talking cheaper kits the answer is NO, if you look at the nicer kits CNC , AirKewld the answer is YES

WOW! Ok, let me make sure i got this correct. I have 2.5 drop spindles on drum brakes and want to switch them to disk. Just to be sure, Airkewld and CB has them? Wink

I'm not sure about any other disc brake kits, but, i'm just saying that the disc brakes that I bought from CNC 14 years ago for STOCK DRUM BRAKE spindles, Bolt right up to CB's dropped DRUM brake spindles without ANY modifications whatsoever....

Pete
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'll believe you're right, and that is a nice looking brake kit. Unfortunately, those discs are $1300 smackaroos these days, well beyond most mid priced disc kits. They've even well above CB's kit that has discs and the drop spindles.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
Hey, I'll believe you're right, and that is a nice looking brake kit. Unfortunately, those discs are $1300 smackaroos these days, well beyond most mid priced disc kits. They've even well above CB's kit that has discs and the drop spindles.

I only replied to this post originally, because some folks were telling the OP that in no way could you put disc brakes that were for drum brake spindles on to dropped drum brake spindles without fabricating. I found out that there are kits out there that do.
Although $1300.00 is a stout price tag ( which is FULL retail by the way) , Brakes are one item that I've always spent the most on... It's not a item that should be " Bargain Shopped "
It's not even close to compare CB's brakes to CNC's. Were talkin apples and oranges here.
Also,lets not forget the price of the narrowed beam and shortened leaves that you should buy if you run those CB brakes/dropped spindles.... ( That's CB's recommendation not mine)
Pete
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turbotype1 wrote:

I only replied to this post originally, because some folks were telling the OP that in no way could you put disc brakes that were for drum brake spindles on to dropped drum brake spindles without fabricating. I found out that there are kits out there that do.
Although $1300.00 is a stout price tag ( which is FULL retail by the way) , Brakes are one item that I've always spent the most on... It's not a item that should be " Bargain Shopped "
It's not even close to compare CB's brakes to CNC's. Were talkin apples and oranges here.
Also,lets not forget the price of the narrowed beam and shortened leaves that you should buy if you run those CB brakes/dropped spindles.... ( That's CB's recommendation not mine)
Pete

I completely agree. I was just pointing out that the price was in the upper range of what's available. Probably above and beyond the means of most enthusiasts. I am running the AC brake kit, which uses Rabbit/ GTI calipers and pads. As long as you ditch the supplied bearings with good ones, I feel that it's the best bang for the buck when compared to the rest of the mid priced, wide five disc kits. I wish it was an easier install onto the drop spindles..
wokokow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped drum spindles Reply with quote

turbotype1 wrote:
neil68 wrote:
turbotype1 wrote:
Derek Cobb wrote:
He wants to know REALISTICALLY if he can mount a disc brake kit to his drum brake drop spindles. The answer is no, not without a bunch of trial and error modification.

Hate to piss on your cheerios, but the answer is yes!! I just did this exact thing. I had disk brakes on stock spindles and just installed dropped spindles... No machining... No modified caliper mounts... Just unbolted everything off the old spindles and bolted everything onto the drops.
So the answer is YES!!!

This is not the same thing. You had stock DISC spindles and swapped to DROPPED DISC spindles. The OP has DROPPED DRUM spindles, so Disc calipers will not bolt on directly...except the Airkewld version and they are not available in 4-bolt. They do offer 5 x 130 (Porsche) and wide-5 VW, IIRC.

Unless my oval window came from wolfsburg with ultra rare disc brake spindles, that would be a big WRONG!! Went from STOCK ORIGINAL 57 oval window drum brake spindles to CB's Dropped DRUM brake spindles with nothing but hand tools... It can happen

If it's an oval window, then it's def not STOCK ORIGINAL. Things must have been changed from King and Link pin to Ball Joints. K&L don't have provisions for a disk brake or even a drum that would have similar mounting to a disc brake set up.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dropped drum spindles Reply with quote

wokokow wrote:

If it's an oval window, then it's def not STOCK ORIGINAL. Things must have been changed from King and Link pin to Ball Joints. K&L don't have provisions for a disk brake or even a drum that would have similar mounting to a disc brake set up.

Forgot about this thread from (6) years ago.... Not sure about the confusion here.
I have K&L NOT ball joints on my oval. The "aftermarket" disk brake caliper mounts use the same 3 bolt locations that the drums backing plates used.

Pete

83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
neilswheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Drop spindles Disk or Drum Reply with quote

I’ve just been searching for the same thing, but looking at the disc to drum kit for stock spindles, and comparing the dropped disc and dropped drum spindle, I can’t see why you couldn’t make a plate to take the caliber like the conversion kit, but click it to sit where the dropped spindle pits the caliper, then all you need are the right bearings, and preferably a dual circuit mc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

neilswheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Drop spindles Disk or Drum Reply with quote

Just seen it’s about king and linking spindles. some more pics. Looks like Empi put the calipers on the front or maybe the bottom? of the spindle, and others rotate the mount below the steering arm, so again, just make a suitable mount and work out what bearings to use.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Drop spindles Disk or Drum Reply with quote

neilswheels wrote:
I’ve just been searching for the same thing, but looking at the disc to drum kit for stock spindles, and comparing the dropped disc and dropped drum spindle, I can’t see why you couldn’t make a plate to take the caliber like the conversion kit, but click it to sit where the dropped spindle pits the caliper...

I would tend to believe you're right. Spindles ALWAYS have at least some holes in them, and from these holes almost anything can be mounted. As others had pointed out in the past, it just depends on what your skill set is and what you are capable of imagining/designing in your head or, as technology would now have it, on a computer, and how much trouble you want to go through.

I've just completed design and proofed some new caliper brackets for the rear of my '64 Bus which mount to cast aluminum 944 P-brake brackets, and those brackets don't have the stock caliper mounting lugs anymore, I machined them off many years ago for a different caliper setup. I didn't like how Porsche had the calipers clocked downward toward the ground and prefer my calipers to be at 9:00 and 3:00 wrt the ground, with bleeders pointing straight up. So the resulting caliper brackets took on a sort of crescent-moon shape and required a 1/4" offset to center the caliper bodies over the 944 rotors. It took a lot of templating work out of cereal box, then clear mylar, then as I alluded to, fabbed one up out of poplar hobby board to make sure they worked as designed.

Your pic above with the horizontal bracket is indicative of using the only holes available on the spindle.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Drop spindles Disk or Drum Reply with quote

neilswheels wrote:
Just seen it’s about king and linking spindles. some more pics. Looks like Empi put the calipers on the front or maybe the bottom? of the spindle, and others rotate the mount below the steering arm, so again, just make a suitable mount and work out what bearings to use.

Take another look at the first 2 of your pictures posted. Notice that the spindle itself is different. I think this is where the confusion lies.

You can get K&L (king and link pin, '65 down Bug) disc brake kits for stock spindles. In theory, if you get the drum brake drop spindle you can install that disc brake kit on it.

You can buy disc brake dropped spindle kits for K&L Bugs. These generally come with ball joint spindles, and often come with built in caliper brackets to accept the stock Karmann Ghia disc brakes. These parts are readily available, but will change the wheel bolt pattern. Airkewld K&L disc brake kits are one exception, they use stock or dropped spindles for drum brakes with options for the wheel bolt pattern.

I said "In theory" above because K&L drop spindles may cause problems with stock drum brakes and some disc brake kits. If the brake hose comes out at the back, like on stock '58 and newer Bug drum brakes, you can run into interference at the tie rod. By raising the spindle 2-1/2 inches the brake line has also moved up and now passes much closer to it than stock. You can see in the second picture you posted how the drop spindle disc brake kit rotated the caliper mount downward a bit.

Here is a picture from Dan2973 showing the potential issue:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: