Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI 40K Question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone had a diagram or such of the EMPI 40K carbs and could tell me if it has a vacuum port that you could connect a hose to it and test the amount of air going through it to tune it? Just wondering out-loud here.

"Growing older, but not up!"
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

Ok new question, I'm having difficulty installing the intake for these carbs, does anyone have these carbs on a type iv engine?

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

You need the correct manifolds and linkage for a Type 4 engine, have no clue what you actually have.
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

This what I have

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-43-4431

HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:

I'm having difficulty installing the intake

You'll need to be more descriptive here. It looks liked the kit is for the type 4 motor.

What is the problem? Bolts don't fit? Not flat? Won't go on? Too big? Too small?

Etc.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

Ok sorry was a bit frustrated. Ok. The issue I'm having is trying to toque the middle nuts I can't get any socket or wrench on to it. The intake is in the way.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

how about an crow's foot?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sometimes it also pays to buy cheap wrenches at the swap meet etc that you can saw off, heat and bend to weird angles, grind narrower etc for situations like that. I have several over the years that had to be made for odd nuts or bolts.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

Maybe a wobbly socket and extension or a regular short socket with a wobbly extension.

Maybe some ilk of the distributor wrench or bend a box end wrench to work?

Having some old cheap sockets around that you can grind down to make a special tool is a good idea.
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

Those manifolds are pitifully designed. Completely blind installation on the lower nuts. If the engine is out of the vehicle they are doable but in the bus is a massive pain.

Using nuts that are 10mm across the flats (instead of the usual 13mm) will help a little. Gives you more room to get the tool in the small available space. A mirror may help, magnet tool. The nuts below have a flange which can help. Some sticky grease on a flanged nut and it's a lot easier to get it located and started - the nut stays put in the socket.

The issue with the manifolds is that because there is a web between the runners it's almost impossible to fasten the lower 2 nuts - you can barely see any of what you're doing. The runners belly out and down quite far so they are almost touching the adjacent sheet metal, very little space to work and you are blind. If you were to carefully grind away the web between the runners you'd have a much easier time getting them installed, and I don't think you would weaken the manifolds in a harmful way.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

use a hole saw to cut a hole in the middle of the web. That should be quick and simple without reducing the strength. When you cut with the hole saw, put grease on it to help protect the teeth from the heat.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

Just think, for several more dollars you could have bought good carbs. What sort of worse problems lay ahead that can’t be seen now?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

All good suggestions.

Not that I'm a fan of everythimg at Harbor Freight, but they have a cheap set of crowfoot wrenches for $10.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-3-8-eighth-i...gJSofD_BwE

They'd be quality enough for this job, and I wouldnt feel bad about grinding the sides down some to fit in there.

The suggestion to have a bunch of swap meet wrenches to grind/bend/cut is a good one. This won't be the last challenge the bus presents. Laughing Shocked

And just remember the saying ---- "If it were easy to have a Bus, everybody would have one." Cool

Good luck!

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

Here’s an idea.

Take loose the rear engine hanger from the frame. Remove the two bell housing overhead hanger bolts. Use a floor jack to slightly raise the engine to allow better side access to the intake manifold nuts.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

Buy the 8x10 manifold nuts and also a 10mm 1/4 in. Drive wobble socket and
Extension .
You will need it in the future.
Aircooled.net sells them for these type of manifolds
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI 40K Question Reply with quote

aeromech, yes I could've (should've) gotten a different set of carbs but when I was doing my research these looked like a good set. I did find a video from Kaddie Shack that explains my issues and how to correct them, basically how old DKP driver suggested.

Thanks everyone for your input on this issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oaipt0a3cE

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: