Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safaris discussion thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCTScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Regarding rivets, my machinist put me in touch with a company that will do a run on their CNC machine for me. They will do a small batch of 100 rivets for me. I have a set of original (or possibly WW repros) which fit my windows. But I will need more for my spare set of windows when I take them apart if I decide to restore them.

Am I wasting my time on rivets? My research has found that C & C and Wolfgang both make rivets but they are not semi-tubular shoulder rivets like the originals. Which means that they have a wrong diameter and will allow obtuse sliding in addition to rotation. Is anybody satisfied with the other simple semi-tubular rivet repros?

Now before having the rivets made I am curious about one related measurement. I am wondering what people have as the measurement for the diameter of the rivet hole in the chrome slides. I have two very different measurements and am wondering if one of my sets of slides are repros. So if I could trouble someone to measure that hole, that would be helpful.

Thank you for the help.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I measured the only two that I have that aren’t still attached and came up with 5.13mm & 5.18mm. The wavy washers are 15.26mm OD, 8.52mm ID & 0.54mm thick.

I apologize for not doing this sooner. I’m just a total flake sometimes. Anxious

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
RCTScott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

One other question for the batch of rivets I am having made, are they aluminum or stainless?

The rivets I presently have look to be aluminum, but I also think that these might be WW repros. Were the original rivets aluminum or stainless.

Also, if anyone cares to post some exact measurements of an original NOS rivet, that would be helpful. I am trying to get a few sets of measurements to then average them to give to my machinist. Thank you!

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Does anybody make a complete safari inatall kit without frames and glass? I have og paint frames to use but no other parts. I would prefer og parts but seems they are to find and expensive when they come up

Rctscott - i would buy some rivets if you had them made
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Does anybody make a complete safari inatall kit without frames and glass? I have og paint frames to use but no other parts. I would prefer og parts but seems they are to find and expensive when they come up

Rctscott - i would buy some rivets if you had them made

Wolfgang sells most of the parts by themselves. Same for Creative. I would reach out and see if they can do a package deal. I've looked at both sets of parts side by side and the Creative stuff is nicer.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I bought a set from this member-
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=EDDYOC1
They were fine. Same stuff most of the suppliers sell with their kits. He doesn't have any listed currently. But they are on his website-
http://www.vwvintageparts.com/products/Safari-Hardware-Kit.html

alinaqi86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me from where can i buy Safari Windows hinge ? I recently acquired a used set of Safaris' but one frame is missing the mounting hinge (Frame to Body) . I tried looking but surprisingly no one is selling this. Can someone help
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

alinaqi86 wrote:
Can anyone tell me from where can i buy Safari Windows hinge ? I recently acquired a used set of Safaris' but one frame is missing the mounting hinge (Frame to Body) . I tried looking but surprisingly no one is selling this. Can someone help

You can find it in hardware stores as "piano hinge". It comes in different styles and sold in a long section that can be cut shorter.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Except it won’t match original safari hinges. Maybe EU hinges are different. But I’ve never seen hinges in US that are the same as OG VW safaris.

ezcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I'm working on correct safari parts. Here are sample parts that I have made so far.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I make HWE style roof racks, Jim-Dandy racks, SO-33 metal parts, Dormobile racks, HWE style ladders, engine crank start handles, Westy rack tags, Binz tags, Sundial badges, State of California tags, steering lock electrical covers and single / double cab gate latch friction blocks.

instagram is http://instagram.com/bullidriversteelworks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Chad-Let me know if you need some body brackets for safaris to copy. They are 14ga. I was going to try to repop them to be exact copies of OG. But you seem to have the hookup to make affordable stuff.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

I just installed new Creative safaris. The shipping time to California was about 3 weeks. It was more time consuming than I originally thought it would be, but I'm happy with the results. These new versions do have welded hinges. I used the sheet metal screws for the hinges, but used riv-nuts for the body brackets.

-as noted earlier, the outer body brackets are not long enough to properly use screws to mount. I had to weld a flat plate as an extension to hold the screws.

-The two inner tabs in my case had to be ground down to clear the latches. The inner latches also had to be ground down to clear the dash.

-I had the glass tinted with clear in case the tempered windows ever shatter.

-Rather than hosing everything down with WD-40 to assemble the frames, I used Sil Glyde grease applied lightly with a brush. Worked excellent. (WD-40 is BAD for the tint I had added)

-The body rubber seals fit REALLY nice in the corners without bunching up. I can't say how well they work against leaks yet though

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Would anybody happen to have an original "frame to body screw" handy for some measurements?
The 7 screws that hold the hinge to the top of the window.

I know they are M4x.70 thread but looking for the actual specs of ORIGINAL hardware.

Thanks in advance

overall length
head depth
head diameter

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Mark, see if this helps you..

BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Perfect Dion, thanks so much!

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

BeaterBarndoor wrote:
Perfect Dion, thanks so much!

All good mark!! Hope u find some.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Brought this up in a Creative Engineering thread. Has anyone recently swapped out the "safety glass" that comes with CE Safari Windows for standard USA glass with Lament? If so, how did it go, and what was the thickness of the glass?

I also read 3M makes a clear product that can go over glass as an anti theft mechanism that basically make the glass that comes with the kit, safer in theory....However, I'd really rather replace with USA spec glass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my CE safari set is on the way and I want to make the glass swap.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
Brought this up in a Creative Engineering thread. Has anyone recently swapped out the "safety glass" that comes with CE Safari Windows for standard USA glass with Lament? If so, how did it go, and what was the thickness of the glass?

I also read 3M makes a clear product that can go over glass as an anti theft mechanism that basically make the glass that comes with the kit, safer in theory....However, I'd really rather replace with USA spec glass.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my CE safari set is on the way and I want to make the glass swap.

Bump^^^^^^
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
Spitty1974 wrote:

Bump^^^^^^

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179061

Here’s another thread with the safari glass cut template that I measured up from a Visurit glass on my 55 safaris. If u know a good glazier they may be able to cut out one for u.
Daddybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Safaris discussion thread Reply with quote

Creative safari glass has a weird shape. San Bernardino Glass has the pattern (I gave them my ps after ds shattered). They are pricy, but they had the metric laminated glass.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
Jump to:
Page 58 of 62

Jump to: