Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Get a title for any Square- $770 from Vermont
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Get a title for any Square- $770 from Vermont Reply with quote

Well, I danced the Vermont Shuffle, and scored a title for my 69 SB project. If you are not aware of the procedure, it works like this. Vermont did not have titles for cars in the 60's, and still does not issue them. You can register a 60's car there with just a bill of sale, pay the tax and you can have plates and a registration. Take that registration to your own state DMV and they will recognize you as the rightful owner and should grant you a valid title. It all sounded to good to be true, and it almost was.. In Vermont they tax you on NADA value of a car, not what you paid for it. The NADA book is a dealer guide, and probably is used to find out how much they can lend/borrow on a car. Anybody want to guess the NADA value on a 69 SB with no engine, sat for 45 years? Yep, you were right. They politely informed me that my car was valued at $12,450 USD and I should submit 6% of that ( $747) for my $23.00 plates.
Just when you think you've got them, you turn around and zing!! Really, though, now I can move on with the car. The option was to open a case ($300) in local court and plead my case to a judge for a court ordered title. That would take time, driving, and may not even work. At least this way I get a cool single $770 Vermont plate! I hear that Vermont may not be the only state that does this.
It wasn't cheap, but the title is mine!!

Your experience may vary-
DQDan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Get a title for any Square- $770 from Vermont Reply with quote

Any of you that are concerned about someone using this process to get title on a car they don't really own, I say this.

If my car was stolen or missing, the best thing I could hope for would be for someone to come forward and try to claim it as their own. I want their name and address! Sure, give them a title, just let me know who the 'new' owner is and then I can get their story and go to court and get my car back. If the new guy never tries to claim it, I will never see it again! My local title office will not give me title to an abandoned car with a deceased owner, surviving family won't help me, my DMV won't work with me.
It's a $770 solution to a bureaucratic snafu.
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Get a title for any Square- $770 from Vermont Reply with quote

I would venture to guess that every state has a similar process. Out here in Washington we have to take the car to the state patrol office and they inspect it for the VIN tag. They run the VIN to see if it is reported stolen. If it comes back good to go then you take the state patrol report and get a registration. We have to wait three years to get the actual title though in case the owner decides to come forward and claim the car.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
Absoluteyeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Get a title for any Square- $770 from Vermont Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not fond of the state to state discrepancies they have in titling vehicles. I almost had a car stolen right out of my garage awhile back through this process by the guy who sold it to me no less.

before anyone asks:
- seller's remorse
- had the vin, my address (from the title transfer) and lived in the same city
- 6-8 months after i bought it they tried to "reclaim it" via the police
- he went to jail for 3 month
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Get a title for any Square- $770 from Vermont Reply with quote

Go figure.. I just did the NADA on my 67 beetle. $12,150
Then I put in my 57 oval... get this, $17,200 !!

How do they figure these values?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Get a title for any Square- $770 from Vermont Reply with quote

risk wrote:
Go figure.. I just did the NADA on my 67 beetle. $12,150
Then I put in my 57 oval... get this, $17,200 !!

How do they figure these values?

IDK, but the 70 Squareback currently in my backyard is worth 13K according to them (it's not as it needs work), and a 2012 new Beetle is only 15K.???
I haven't really looked at prices of other stuff, other than a 2006 Chevy pick up is supposedly worth around 8 grand with less than 100K miles on it (V6 std cab, 8 ft box with AT and a/c).
I'd hate to see what a 70 Camaro would go for according to them. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
oxsign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Get a title for any Square- $770 from Vermont Reply with quote

DQDan wrote:
Well, I danced the Vermont Shuffle, and scored a title for my 69 SB project. If you are not aware of the procedure, it works like this. Vermont did not have titles for cars in the 60's, and still does not issue them. You can register a 60's car there with just a bill of sale, pay the tax and you can have plates and a registration. Take that registration to your own state DMV and they will recognize you as the rightful owner and should grant you a valid title. It all sounded to good to be true, and it almost was.. In Vermont they tax you on NADA value of a car, not what you paid for it. The NADA book is a dealer guide, and probably is used to find out how much they can lend/borrow on a car. Anybody want to guess the NADA value on a 69 SB with no engine, sat for 45 years? Yep, you were right. They politely informed me that my car was valued at $12,450 USD and I should submit 6% of that ( $747) for my $23.00 plates.
Just when you think you've got them, you turn around and zing!! Really, though, now I can move on with the car. The option was to open a case ($300) in local court and plead my case to a judge for a court ordered title. That would take time, driving, and may not even work. At least this way I get a cool single $770 Vermont plate! I hear that Vermont may not be the only state that does this.
It wasn't cheap, but the title is mine!!

Your experience may vary-
This is what I pan on doing with my square as well. I was also aware of the crazy "value" they have on them. I'm sure thanks to the crazy auctions where completely restored VWs have been going the 10s of thousands and up is of no help, lol. Major difference but doesn't matter to them as long as they get their money. I am with you though, here in FL i'd have to go through all the court stuff to get one for mine as well. This it more money, but quicker & easier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Get a title for any Square- $770 from Vermont Reply with quote

Tram got a $150 Mechanics Lien title for my '68 KG in OR.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toddgsanford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Get a title for any Square- $770 from Vermont Reply with quote

the down side would be if the car had been reported stolen and than your in hot water and will likely lose the car. with the interweb its fairly easy to look up a car on nmvitis if its not in that system its probably square. I would never do large amounts of work to a car until I had a title in my name for this reason. even an old flipped title could have been duplicated and you have a big mess. and you are correct Ohio has one of the strictest no title your screwed policies.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Get a title for any Square- $770 from Vermont Reply with quote

Just spotted this thread on Vt. Titles.
So last Fall I picked up this Type 3:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Went to the DMV, I wanted to get a title, which they now do, BUT they charge you the "Low" Rolling Eyes NADA book value, which was $14,000 (high value was $43,000) So my sales tax on the car was $850, YES the car was not worth $14,000, more like $1400, I then filled out the forms to get it de-valued, I had to take it to a shop that has a dealer liscense, they charged me like $20 to fill out the form, I brought it to the DMV, 3 months later I got $550 back, I had to call a few times to find out what was going on, but in the end, I did get some of my $$$ back, and the title cost $300, which made it much easier to sell the Squareback.
If your getting just a registration or a title, they will bone you on the sales tax, but if you live near Vt., and can bring the car to a shop that sells cars, you can get some money back......

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: