Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper bar grommets
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Bumper bar grommets Reply with quote

What size are the bumper bar grommets for a 1970 Fastback ? Or, to put it another way, which Beetle part numbers do we use to get the correct size part ?

At the front, the length of the hole is 100 mm and 20 mm wide, so I am thinking the one in the attached photo would fit since is says "100 mm long". At the back, the hole is only 70 mm long and 30 mm wide - a bit shorter and wider than at the front (although the PO may have "adjusted" the width slightly !!)

Anyone know the correct ones - Or do we just suck it and see ?

Tx
Giles
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar grommets Reply with quote

to be honest im not sure the type 3's got them

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar grommets Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:

My '71 never had them, front or rear. Up front, the fender hole has rolled edges so the rubber wouldn't fit tightly anyway. In the rear it's a flat hole edge but the bracket is a larger composite of two pieces and any rubber would not fit tightly.

Besides, unlike the early Bug, whose brackets intruded into the otherwise sealed front tire well, on the Type 3, both sides are open to the elements, so there's really nothing to seal.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar grommets Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
VWporscheGT3 wrote:

My '71 never had them, front or rear. Up front, the fender hole has rolled edges so the rubber wouldn't fit tightly anyway. In the rear it's a flat hole edge but the bracket is a larger composite of two pieces and any rubber would not fit tightly.

Besides, unlike the early Bug, whose brackets intruded into the otherwise sealed front tire well, on the Type 3, both sides are open to the elements, so there's really nothing to seal.

Yup, type 3s never got a seal on the bumper irons to body. Even the early cars didn't get them.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar grommets Reply with quote

Hmmmmm. Very interesting.

Seems surprising that it is almost the same shape hole as every other ac VW, yet they chose not to put them in. Saving money, I guess Laughing

I shall go "naked" then.

Clatter - You going naked too ?? Laughing

G
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar grommets Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Clatter - You going naked too ?? Laughing

G

I prefer “commando”.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar grommets Reply with quote

AFAIK only type 34 use them.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar grommets Reply with quote

The bug grommets will fit the rear with a bit of adjustment. Mario had been working on doing some. Not sure how or if it was finished. As far as the front goes, you my friend have been tasked with getting a prototype done so we can get some reproduced.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar grommets Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
As far as the front goes, you my friend have been tasked with getting a prototype done so we can get some reproduced.

Laughing Watch this space - Some 100 mm ones arrive tomorrow !
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar grommets Reply with quote

And for Clatter that would mean that if the front ones fit, I shall only be "commando" from the rear ! Bit like wearing chaps, really Shocked
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar grommets Reply with quote

OK, 111 207 193, "Grommet Bumper Bar s/Bug Front, only 100 mm" appears to be perfect. I haven't put them on yet because I need a second pair of hands to make it easier and quicker to take the bumper off and on again, but they are just right.
Now need to work on the rear ones..........
G
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar grommets Reply with quote

So the 100mm fits. Exciting news.
So no more commando! Rolling Eyes
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper bar grommets Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
So the 100mm fits. Exciting news.
So no more commando! Rolling Eyes

Not at the front, anyway !!!! Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: