Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rivets in vent window
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wareagle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

Hello all,
I'm trying to replace my vent window latch and need some help on the rivets. What did you use and how did you peen the rivet into place. Step by step pics or video would be most helpful. Did you use regular rivets or something with more substance? Also, for the rivet for the pivot portion....how did you install this rivet. Tools required, etc. Never done this fix before. Thank you and have a great day.
Eskamobob1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

chris valone has the best video on the reasembly, but he kinda blasst through it so you may need to rewatch. Ad for rivet size, 1/8" shorts for the surround to the upright and 5/32" med (1/4" grip length) for the pivot
wareagle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

Thank you. I have seen his videos, but could not find anything on the lock (latch) rivet connections for the vent window. That is really what has me stumped!
burn-z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

I am trying to do the same thing as this. Has anyone ever replaced this part and how do I do this.
thanks
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

When I was a dealer tech in the 70’s we got the 2 aluminum rivets with the vent
Wing latch from the parts department.
Later on we got a pop rivet gun. Idea It still paid 15 minutes to do one vent wing. Laughing

With the old rivets it really was crappy to use a punch and hammer along
With another ball peen hammer to support the underside of the vent wing.
But you know it was the German way of doing things then. 🔛🔝
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

old DKP driver wrote:
When I was a dealer tech in the 70’s we got the 2 aluminum rivets with the vent
Wing latch from the parts department.
Later on we got a pop rivet gun. Idea It still paid 15 minutes to do one vent wing. Laughing

With the old rivets it really was crappy to use a punch and hammer along
With another ball peen hammer to support the underside of the vent wing.
But you know it was the German way of doing things then. 🔛🔝

We used a bench vice. Set it all up and crush the rivet with the vice, one turn at a time. A C clamp works, too!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
burn-z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies but, I think we are talking about different parts. Here is some pictures.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the first one shows the replacement part which has two small holes which I assume goes all the way to the glass maybe a rubber seal between them. the second is it installed. You can see there are two holes filled with what looks like something similar to JB weld to hold it in place. I tried picking at it and it seems pretty hard. Thanks again for all your help.
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

I think what you're asking : Remove the glass from the frame, drill the rivets out and install new rivets, replace glass in frame.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

Eskamobob1 wrote:
chris valone has the best video on the reasembly, but he kinda blasst through it so you may need to rewatch. Ad for rivet size, 1/8" shorts for the surround to the upright and 5/32" med (1/4" grip length) for the pivot

There's an easier way to do it with a Chicago Screw. I've some brass ones that fit perfectly. They just screw together and you can always take them out to mess with the seals if you need to.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

I did mine this spring, I either bought them from WW or WCM. The holes didn't line up 100%. I had to re-drill. I used standard aluminum rivets. And flattened them out in some fashion. I believe with a hammer and some flat stock. I don't remember it being an issue. I dressed them with a file to clean. Them up a bit. The window pivot rivet was too small and sloppy. My PO has small SS lock nut and screw. I reinstalled those. McMaster Carr has shoulder bolts or screws that are 5mm by 1 or 2 mm shoulder length. I don't remember the spec or what it measures. I'm going to use that. Your about to start a MISERABLE job. Good luck with the fit of your windows. I'd rather do rear torsions or shif rod bushings. Not happy when things go poorly. Fitment always seems poor.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
burn-z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking that this was a lot of work. I have seen some with the entire window replacement for sale for $115. I'm thinking lowering my stress level is worth the $$$.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

Is there a simpler fix for this? Mine had had a sloppy knob with play for a long time. It doesn’t look like something I really want to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

It's not the worst by any means but it's a job. Try and support the latch with a 2x4 or 1by. I'd try to punch it out first, then drill if necessary. I have a feeling that small of a bit is bound to break off in the roll pin.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

Much easier if you drive out the roll pin and replace just the arm/knob piece, which is usually all that needs replacing anyway. The big bonus is you can do it in situ if you take care. Some mix/match of parts is sometimes needed if you are using a Chinese latch. If you can find a good German vent wing you are sure of a good match.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

Mine doesn’t have a roll pin, but it’s an original. Someone said there were different suppliers. Mine locks and works but has play as seen in my video. Ideally I’d like to just be able to replace or finagle something as to not disrupt the original glass and seals.

Link
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

Odd. All of the ones I have seen have pins - there has to be some way to dismantle it as I can't see how the pin it rotates on is held in place otherwise. Normally it is held in place in the latch body, so there has to be a way of fitting/removing the rotating part unless this particular variant was designed as a disposable part. Not DIY friendly if you have ever tried to replace the glass.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: rivets in vent window Reply with quote

The black round knob style I had didn't have a pin in it. Had to remove the glass.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: