Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 15 Window resurrection
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
I started doing this too. It's fun when you have the Space.

One piece axle boots!!! Shocked

I have never used one piece axle boots before. The OG style ones I put on the first transaxle leaked everywhere so I thought that I would try them. I always heard that they were hard to install. They needed to be boiled. The axles needed to be greased, etc. I used soapy water from a spray bottle (the bottle I use to find leaks in tires). It took me 5 minutes to put one on. I thought I must have done something wrong. The hardest part was turning them inside out then outside in. I hope they don’t leak!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Nice. How were those boots to get on? My split boots leak every time I jack up the bus.

Burlyhammer wrote:
I thin I may have fuel washed #3 cylinder. Compression on that cylinder is 95 PSI The other 3 are 120-125 PSI Fingers crossed!

Yea... #3, likely valve not sealing or broken ring. Did you put new valves in with the rebuild?

I had #2 (may have been #3 before disassembly) give me low compression. Replaced a broken ring and next long run it broke the exhaust valve. Old valve though so no idea the history. Should have checked the valves when replacing the ring but was just trying for one more trip before building a new engine.

Hey Stan,
I did put new valve in, and new rings. I'm going to rip the head off today, and see what is up. Hopefully nothing major. We'll see!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
We finally got around to swapping out the OG small nut tranny with the big nut one. It took me a while to gather up all of the pieces. Once I dug everything out, I couldn't resist:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is great except for that one snap ring on the lower left.
Kidding of course. Great work!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:
We finally got around to swapping out the OG small nut tranny with the big nut one. It took me a while to gather up all of the pieces. Once I dug everything out, I couldn't resist:

This is great except for that one snap ring on the lower left.
Kidding of course. Great work!

Haha. You’d think that I would have lined it up better when I straightened the gasket next to it:

I have issues! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Thanks Culito!
teahead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Incredible progress.

BTW, sorry, haven't gone through all 83 pages, but I noticed the cargo door.

Looks like from a 64+? Didn't know those would fit a 63.
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

teahead wrote:
Incredible progress.

BTW, sorry, haven't gone through all 83 pages, but I noticed the cargo door.

Looks like from a 64+? Didn't know those would fit a 63.

Haha. The thread is pretty dry. It's fun for me to look back and see the progress. Last year at this time I was putting together the motor. A year later, and I am putting together another motor. Embarassed
The cargo doors from 64-67 fit with no issues. I am on the lookout for a decent set of correct doors, but these work for now.
Thanks Teahead!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

The big nut tranny is in and works great. No more bungee cord! We ended up replacing the pistons and cylinders with a Mahle set from CB performance. I got to talk to Pat Downs, and he balanced our pistons! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
The bus is up and running. It still needs some tweaking, but we have have high hopes. None of this would not have been possible without the help of some great friends. Thank you very much!

Can't wait to get out on the road!
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

This turned out so awesome!

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Fifty-Eight Rag wrote:
This turned out so awesome!

Haha. Still not finished with it. We haven’t even started with the interior. Laughing
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:

What is that tool, a cc gauge?
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Torque plate for checking deck height.
Burly, any plans to upgrade to doghouse cooling? Seems like a good idea in a bus.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Torque plate for checking deck height.
Burly, any plans to upgrade to doghouse cooling? Seems like a good idea in a bus.

I've thought about going to a doghouse setup. We have also discussed upgrading to a 1776. I am thinking that both will happen at the same time!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Did you find out what happened to #3's compression?
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Did you find out what happened to #3's compression?

It was likely a combination of the valves not sealing, and the rings being worn. The fuel is no longer draining into the cylinder either. The needle valve was not shutting once the bowl was full.
roundhouse72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

This thread has been my guilty pleasure while working from home these past few weeks, so great. Looked forward to it everyday. Appreciate your level of detail and your sharing it with the rest of us. Congrats on a great bus, thanks again!
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Nice, just nice! Outstanding work and it looks like so much fun. I would love to have a bus with that much original paint. Cool

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

roundhouse72 wrote:
This thread has been my guilty pleasure while working from home these past few weeks, so great. Looked forward to it everyday. Appreciate your level of detail and your sharing it with the rest of us. Congrats on a great bus, thanks again!

Haha. It turned into a long and drawn out thread, I'm glad you are enjoying it.
Much appreciated roundhouse!

DubStyle wrote:
Nice, just nice! Outstanding work and it looks like so much fun. I would love to have a bus with that much original paint. Cool

We are having a lot of fun with it. We've put over 1000 miles on it so far this year since we put the new motor and tranny in it. My son wants to remove the bumpers and rocker trim and blend the paint a little better. Hopefully we can do it justice.
Thanks Dubstyle!
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:

We are having a lot of fun with it. We've put over 1000 miles on it so far this year since we put the new motor and tranny in it. My son wants to remove the bumpers and rocker trim and blend the paint a little better. Hopefully we can do it justice.
Thanks Dubstyle!

Check out JonL or Linda's thread on using oxalic acid. You may be able to give those bumpers a little oxalic bath to clean them up! Looking forward to more camping adventures with the bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
Burlyhammer wrote:

Thanks Dubstyle!

Check out JonL or Linda's thread on using oxalic acid. You may be able to give those bumpers a little oxalic bath to clean them up! Looking forward to more camping adventures with the bus!

The front bumper was another item my son wanted to tackle. I appreciate the info, and look forward to all of our adventures!
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 15 Window resurrection Reply with quote

There are still a mountain of things that need to be done to this bus to "finish" it. We plan to get rid of the antique tags, so we will need a state inspection. One of the issues was the leaky tranny. Since we put the rebuilt big nut tranny in, we have had no leaks, so that box is checked off. Another issue is the rust. I never fixed the cargo doors, because I was hoping to replace them with the correct year doors (hopefully in better shape, too) So I am going to repair the ones we have on the bus. This is where we are so far:

My next door neighbor just got a TIG machine. We may try it out on these doors. I am hoping to fab the other door bottom tomorrow.

My son decided he wanted the bus to shine, so he waxed it. Since he was trying to make it look good we decided to clean up the belt line trim, and added the rest of the red molding. He waxed the hubcaps too!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86  Next
Jump to:
Page 83 of 86

Jump to: