Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake fluid reservoir
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject: Brake fluid reservoir Reply with quote

Need to see a dual circuit reservoir in an early type 3.
Upgraded my master cylinder from single to dual circuit and realised that the strap which holds the old reservoir bottle will probably not fit a dual circuit reservoir.
Who can shed some light on this for me?
Cheers Paolo.
RedSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir Reply with quote

Not sure how “early” you are looking for, but here are pics of the reservoir on my 1968 Squareback. It doesn’t have a strap, but instead has two little tabs on the bottom (one on each of the short sides) that appear to be made to slot under the tray that holds the reservoir. The one side you can see well in these pics is not slotted under the tray, although it looks like it should be. The other side of it (towards the cab of the vehicle) has a very small screw through the tab into the supporting tray.

Don’t know if this is the year you were looking for, and don’t know if mine is even attached correctly (now that I’ve looked at it closely), but it feels like it is in there pretty solid.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir Reply with quote

Clatter just did his brake reservoir on his thread

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
Clatter just did his brake reservoir on his thread

Thanks mate, seems he has a reservoir that fits in the original strap. Hoping I could just buy the right res to fit in the originsl strap but with two nozzles under.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir Reply with quote

RedSquare wrote:
Not sure how “early” you are looking for, but here are pics of the reservoir on my 1968 Squareback. It doesn’t have a strap, but instead has two little tabs

Thanks for the pics. I bought that reservoir whilst ordering other parts recently but realised it required modification to my old mounting strap. Hoping someone knows where I can get a dual reservoir that fits the old single circuit reservoir strsp.
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir Reply with quote

You mean like this?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2114746
T3Yoshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

I show a pretty detailed process for fitting up a 67 dual circuit reservoir on an earlier front clip on page one of my thread.

I already had the wider strap for the reservoir so all I had to do was widen the mount area to make the strap fit and widen the pass through for two brake lines instead of one.
T3Yoshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir Reply with quote

You can probably make that strap if you cant find one for sale...
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir Reply with quote

Thanks for the info T3Yoshi. Its exactly what I needed to see. The 67 reservoir certainly follows the law of supply and demand but it does look very much like the old one. I have a choice now.
1. Pay a hefty price for a similar looking, crusty, 50 year old plastic bottle and modify the metal mounting bracket to suit.
2. Use a brand new reservoir from later model, which i didn't pay much for, looks a fair bit different to original and has a different mounting bracket also requiring some mods to fit.

I'm leaning towards option 2 unless a neat looking 67 reservoir drops in my lap in the next few days....

This is the one I bought without considering the options.

Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir Reply with quote

Thinking I'll go with the later model tray setup. Found this bolt on style tray is a better solution for me as those 67 reservoirs are way to expensive due to scarcity for what you get. I'd rather a new reservoir than a crunchy old one for the money.

Saw this setup on a 1600TLE. A couple of nutserts popped into the right location and your done. Obviously have to cut and fill any holes from the old strap first.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir Reply with quote

This is how I did it on my 64 T-34. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=830496

This worked for me, and all I had to add was the thin piece of tube and a longer mounting screw. Just a thought.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
T3Yoshi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir Reply with quote

Yabbadubbadoo wrote:
Thinking I'll go with the later model tray setup. Found this bolt on style tray is a better solution for me as those 67 reservoirs are way to expensive due to scarcity for what you get. I'd rather a new reservoir than a crunchy old one for the money.

Saw this setup on a 1600TLE. A couple of nutserts popped into the right location and your done. Obviously have to cut and fill any holes from the old strap first.

This set up and the one Bob showed sound like good ideas.
Tracking a decent early one down and also getting all the fittings could be a pain. Clatter recently posted about difficulties getting proper fitting for the 67 style reservoir...
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir Reply with quote

T3Yoshi wrote:
Yabbadubbadoo wrote:

This set up and the one Bob showed sound like good ideas.

Tracking a decent early one down and also getting all the fittings could be a pain. Clatter recently posted about difficulties getting proper fitting for the 67 style reservoir...

I found one relatively easily on a local Facebook page.
Just test fitting it on an old front clip I've pillaged various sections off.
First thing I noticed was the bolt holes were a fraction too wide for easy installation in the original single circuit reservoir spot.
The ovalized embossed section on the firewall behind the old reservoir seemed like the best place to locate the nutserts and keep everything centered nicely. I moved the bolt holes on the bracket to suit.
While I was at it I put two more nutserts for the reservoir hold down bolts.

Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Brake fluid reservoir Reply with quote

This is what it looks like underneath with the old bolt holes trimmed off.

Nutserts are all M5 size. Will use more original looking bolts for final fit out.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: