Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Had some time for my '58 low light today
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

'Tis a thing of great beauty Dave, from any angle. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

I know the feeling Dave, as do many of us, putting the puzzle together of the bumpers. I did my front already and getting it bolted into place was monotonous! Haven't started the rear yet as I still need one bumper bracket cover, two would be better, but what I see available in the classifieds just seem way too overpriced to me.

The struggle putting these bumpers on without chipping paint and getting everything lined up can be frustrating, but they sure look nice when on the Ghia...yours look great!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Having just installed the front bumper a few days ago and the rear bumper a couple of months ago - I can relate!

For me, the rear was harder- I think the farther reach of the wrap-around means angles and alignment is more critical. When the holes don't quite line up it is easy to rub/scratch the paint. I scuffed the paint on one of the side mounts Sad

But, my '63 is a mess -paint wise Laughing

Front bumper - I used a motorcycle jack to raise it exactly up- wrapped the outer ends in towels and carefully pushed the whole assembly into place.

Loosely installed the four inner bolts - tilted the bumper up to install the outer bolts - all good (although those outers are giant pain- with the weird two piece rubber spacer having to align just so)
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

I put a couple pairs of socks around the ends when I did mine.😉

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

You can't see from my photo but I taped a light cardboard along the fender sides with a hole cut out where the bolt goes through the fender into the bumper. That prevented scratches, and I've put it on and taken it off more than once.
1965 Sunroof Notch build thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5600139&highlight=#5600139
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

lonotch wrote:
I put a couple pairs of socks around the ends when I did mine.😉

Genius idea. Wish I’d thought of that, would have saved me some scuff marks.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

I just built it up on the car. There was too much of a struggle getting it up in one piece without scratching the fresh paint. Instead I built it up starting from the corners with all the bolts loosened until it was all good.
The sock idea is good. I wish I thought of that.
Nicholas
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Hey Folks

I have another window question.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a closeup photo from the driver's side window, to the right is the quarter window with the chrome strip and vertical rubber in place. My question regards the rubber that forms the top of the driver's side window. You can see in this photo that I have simply butted it up against the vertical rubber. I'm thinking that it needs to be trimmed off or the top rubber of the vertical piece needs to be trimmed. I would appreciate it if someone would send a photo or advise me what the best approach would be.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
1965 Sunroof Notch build thread here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5600139&highlight=#5600139
merlinsbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Low lights are just a dream, what a great color too! Nice work man!

"Always remember: others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them and then you destroy yourself" -Richard Nixon
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

This is an image from an original low light Ghia. It's a little hard to see, but it might be of some assistance:

Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

I wish there were better images.
udo dreisoerner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

i love the lowlight Details...…………...
Inchpincher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Indeed! I am not the 100% OG guy but not with glas Wink - soooo good those Sekurit prints! Cool

By the way do we have a thread for changes of the glas logos somewhere? I have several sets of quarter windows with at least 4 different types of logos. Would be interessting to know when vw changed them and whats the correct glas for the different years.
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Dave, My car is also a December 58, it has the original “small” Sekurit mark on the fixed quarter glaas, I also have the large Sekurit windows in my stash, I believe the logo changed May/June 58 - someone will correct me if I am wrong. The small logo on the qtr window matches the size of logo on the door glass .
I will post pics later.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

My April '58 Windscreen...

My driver/passenger/2x quarter and rear windows all have this identical logo:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tall Bloke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Dave

I have taken photos of my Dec 58 Qtr window and passenger door glass showing the Sekurit marks.

The second photo compares the earlier "large" Sekurit mark with the "small" sekurit mark, also note, the passenger door window has the VW roundel with the Sekurit mark, but the drivers door glass only has sekurit mark!

As previously mentioned in other posts, my car has cross-over details (hard waffle sun visors, dash has the smooth steel preparation for the dashpad, but without the dashpad as this comes in Jan 59 ).
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Hi folks

A short update. First, I fit the front hood, not with the seal yet ...

And I put the gas tank in with gas and ran the engine with gas from the gas tank. Yahoo!! All went well.

However, on the other side, after fitting the rear bumper all my car friends pointed out that the chrome was in terrible shape. I looked into re-chroming and it was very, very expensive. So after reading all the details about the SS bumpers from Viet Nam I went ahead and bought a set. The rear seems to fit okay but the front has been a challenge. I was able to re-orient the outrider bolt orientation but I seem to have some other issues specific to my Ghia, Namely, the bumper rubs up against the turn singles and if I re-orient the bumper to clear them then it is pointed down. I have to have a careful look at the bumper brackets to see whether I can modify them to lower the bumper, not by a lot but enough to clear the turn signals.

Still a lot of work to do.

Dave
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Porschedave wrote:

Damn, that paint looks SO fine!

I can see from that center section of fthe old ront bumper what your friends were talking about.

Hopefully that's just a funky reflection on the driver's door, and it isn't really damaged from opening the door too far forward.
Porschedave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

No, the door has a chip in the paint. I think that it can be easily fixed but that's way down on the list of things to do - need to figure out these bumpers.

Dave
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Had some time for my '58 low light today Reply with quote

Porschedave wrote:
No, the door has a chip in the paint. I think that it can be easily fixed but that's way down on the list of things to do - need to figure out these bumpers.

Dave

I think he’s talking about the reflection of the bumper laying on the floor that makes it look like a large dent in the door?🤷🏼‍♂️

As far as the bumper hitting the turn signal, I’m not sure of which, but maybe the brackets for the front are left and right so by flipping them maybe that would lower the bumper? Not sure, but either the front or rear brackets are left and right specific.

Wrap some old socks around the bumper ends, safer than bubble wrap and wait until everything is put together before touch up paint, I’m sure you might get another spot to touch up, looking sweet!

German Folks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 32

Jump to: