Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Honda Monkey: how to carry?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Honda Monkey: how to carry? Reply with quote

Does anyone carry one of these on their van? What did you use for a carrier? Front or back?

https://www.v1moto.com/--xInventoryDetail?id=8719133
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey Reply with quote

There's a pretty well known Westy photo with one on the front bumper. Someone is bound to have it.

Or maybe it's a Mini-Trail. Whatever.

Found it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Google turns up a lot of pics of various machines on the front or the back, many with Samba credits. Expect enough responses to answer your questions.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey Reply with quote

campism wrote:

maybe it's a Mini-Trail. Whatever.

Found it.

I think that one is a 70cc not the 50cc. I have a CT-90 that I bought to take camping but it sits in the shed after all these years.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey Reply with quote

That's a CT70. A bit bigger. I have a unique mount that Lucas made, but I'm not sure it will work for the Z50. I'm looking for ideas . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

I think that one is a 70cc not the 50cc. I have a CT-90 that I bought to take camping but it sits in the shed after all these years.

I have a Honda Trail 110 sitting 1.5 years...
Actually, bought for my wife as a Christmas gift...
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey, how to carry. Reply with quote

I can't wait for Alika to chime in. I sent him a Z50 purchased here and boxed up for shipment to HI. He rebuilt it into a really really nice rig, and I assume has been transporting it on/in his Vanagons.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I'm not sure it will work for the Z50.

The wheelbase on a new Monkey is 47" and the wheelbase on a CT70 is 41", so the Monkey is bigger. What size is the "unique mount" you have?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey, how to carry. Reply with quote

I bought a 2020 Monkey in blue last year and love it, but I transport it inside the van with a custom ramp that attaches to my rock sliders on my Syncro. Here's a front mounted Honda seen at the local meet-up last year. I think he said that he lifted the front up first and then picked up the back to set it in. Not sure how it make it work with a heavy Monkey or know what to do with the handlebars.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey, how to carry. Reply with quote

I love ICE two wheelers, but don't e-bikes outperform these on every reasonable metric? 1/3 the weight or less, equal performance, vastly more comfortable for any distance and 10x less annoying in camp. What's not to love?

Ahh...donuts... Laughing

Link

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey, how to carry. Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I can't wait for Alika to chime in. I sent him a Z50 purchased here and boxed up for shipment to HI. He rebuilt it into a really really nice rig, and I assume has been transporting it on/in his Vanagons.

Aloha Casey and Sambanistas Cool

The Z50 I have fits inside the van, I just put cushion for the rear bench to protect the rear fender, the front wheel goes between the front seats, barely. Another cushion on the Kitchen cabinet and a ratchet strap to the rear table foot. Easy breezy, compact 140CC! Braaaap!!

As a side note, I acquired a Honda SS50, the first generation style. Building it slowly into a 117cc stroker, it has 17" wheels rather than the 8" of the Z50.
The front fork and dual cam drum hub will be from various parts from CB175 and CB160, som CL stuff too. Should be neat and period correct, another sleeper Smile

There are good forums for these bikes, Planete Minis is the one I'm at, here's the SS50 build for those interested, the first pic is the Z50 Wink

https://www.planetminis.com/threads/1973-honda-ss50-honda-67.253133/

Cheers!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey, how to carry. Reply with quote

I'd rather carry a Trunk Monkey YMMV.
WestyWanter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey, how to carry. Reply with quote

I love how people who own vanagons also own an old honda trail, I just redid a ct 70 and bought a rear hitch rack, it seems to sit out far enough that i could get a rear tire carrier. will post photos later.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey: how to carry? Reply with quote

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmR49xQHwYm/
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey: how to carry? Reply with quote

I’m the production supervisor at Zero Motorcycles (Electric motorcycle manufacturer) and would love to sell everyone here our products but our lightest bike is full sized and 250lbs. I think a unique solution to Vanagon users would be a small battery powered e-bike/scooter that doubles as a generator carrier that the rider could engage once the sound isn’t an issue and give unlimited range. Everything in a relative tiny camper should serve at least two purposes. Mini toad plus secure exterior generator carrier under 100lbs. Win-win..

BK
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey: how to carry? Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
I’m the production supervisor at Zero Motorcycles (Electric motorcycle manufacturer) and would love to sell everyone here our products but our lightest bike is full sized and 250lbs. I think a unique solution to Vanagon users would be a small battery powered e-bike/scooter that doubles as a generator carrier that the rider could engage once the sound isn’t an issue and give unlimited range. Everything in a relative tiny camper should serve at least two purposes. Mini toad plus secure exterior generator carrier under 100lbs. Win-win..

BK

An interesting idea - so a hybrid that has full owner control over who does what and with which and to whom (to re-purpose the last line of an ancient non-pc limerick Wink ). It wouldn't have to be a big generator - and although I normally *hate* generators at campsites, I'm sure a decently quiet one could be produced. Smile
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey: how to carry? Reply with quote

I’m envisioning a EGO-II with a Honda EU-1000 on the foot deck.

BK
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey, how to carry. Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
I'd rather carry a Trunk Monkey YMMV.

Oh man, having grown up outside of the US, I just heard about it recently, I loved it Laughing Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
veloandy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey: how to carry? Reply with quote

RMW Twin Peaks bumper with integrated hitch + a cycle carrier from Harbor Freight makes carrying my Honda CT 90 easy:

The wheelbase of the bike is too short to secure the rear wheel with the pins in the carrier, hence the webbing and carabiner on the rear wheel (you kind of have to zoom in to see it). I expect a monkey has an even shorter wheelbase.
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey: how to carry? Reply with quote

I was considering a motorbike/scooter.

Then I looked at modern full-suspension ebikes.
- no license
- no insurance
- can ride nearly anywhere a bike can (without hassle)
- Much Lighter !
- Lots of Power ( Bafang Ultra 1000W motor )
- nearly silent

veloandy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Monkey: how to carry? Reply with quote

Freaking sweet bike, pdm777!

I’m pretty sure (at least here in CO), any e-bike with > 750W is either in a legal black hole or is licensed (& insured and stuff) like a motorcycle: https://cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/Pages/E-Bike-Rules.aspx

Be sure to check your local regs to make sure you don’t end up with something not legal to operate on trails and/or the road. At least with internal combustion motorcycles (and plain, old bicycles) they’ve been around long enough for all jurisdictions to sort out consistent legalities and regulations.

(BTW I rode my buddy’s electric Zero Motorcycle in 2013 and it was AMAZING! I still dream about maybe one day getting a proper electric bike!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: