Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sway bar options for barndoors?
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Sway bar options for barndoors? Reply with quote

Is there any options to put a front swaybar on a barndoor? Or do they ride too stiff to need one at stock height? Never driven a stock height barndoor. But have driven early splits stock height and almost rolled more times than I liked. So if keeping my barndoor stock height, I would like to help the cornering some.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bar options for barndoors? Reply with quote

no advice for barndoors with swaybars, but i have driven many splits from 56 to 66, and bays, too. I never came even close to rolling one, driving all over germany france italy austria. always with stock power, though. What kind of powerplant do you have in mind?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bar options for barndoors? Reply with quote

Track width and beam width are the same as late split bus, that's probably the quickest path to a sway bar. The primary issue I can forsee is that the leading edge of the bar might not clear the barndoor frame rails at full up travel
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bar options for barndoors? Reply with quote

Lots of curvy roads in the mountains here in Arkansas. In a bone stock 1960 mango bus, I came around a blind corner to see a bicyclist in front of me. I had to cut left to miss hitting him and went into a horrible death wobble. Back and forth steering it trying not to flip it. Had I cut the wheel and braked it would have flipped. Worst feeling in the world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bar options for barndoors? Reply with quote

I think a '66-'67 anti-sway bar could possibly be modified to fit a BD. It would need a couple extra bends to tilt the center section of the bar down from the ends so that it doesn't hit the frame. I held one up to a BD beam and it is somewhat close to being able to fit.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sway bar options for barndoors? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I think a '66-'67 anti-sway bar could possibly be modified to fit a BD. It would need a couple extra bends to tilt the center section of the bar down from the ends so that it doesn't hit the frame. I held one up to a BD beam and it is somewhat close to being able to fit.

Thanks Lind. I've got a late split sway bar handy. I'll give it a shot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: