Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dellorto DRLA 40 set up
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardGee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Dellorto DRLA 40 set up Reply with quote

I'm sorry IF this topic was covered on a previous thread, but I have been unable to find the answer to my specific question -

I am building a 2027cc stroker; all SCAT (78.8x90.5); Street Pro heads (40x35.5) and C35 cam. CR will be 8.5:1.

I would like to use the Dellorto 40 DRLA dual carb set-up from a my previous engine (a VERY poor running 1776), but have no idea how to set these carbs up to be in the ballpark with my new engine? They ran HORRIBLE at all speeds (except full throttle) on the previous mill and I found the engine's oil full of raw gasoline when I decided to replace it.
We rebuilt the carbs, but nothing changed.

The one thing I want to avoid LIKE THE PLAGUE is cranking and cranking and FLOODING the brand new mill. These Dellortos MUST be set up to be in the ballpark and RUN when I crank up the new engine.

I am perfectly OK with sending them to an expert OR am willing to learn the carbs using the Dellorto Tuning book, but with all the other sub-projects involved in this '56, would prefer being told exactly HOW to set these up for my engine... Wink I'm all ears Twisted Evil
ANY HELP would be much appreciated Very Happy

p.s. I am expecting to produce about 120HP and 120 ft. lb. torque with this engine on regular pump gas...can anyone corroborate those figures??
the2ndcashboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send them to Art or Mark. If you had that much gas in your oil the carbs may need more than just jetting to work right. Best to get an expert to check them out. They'll be great carbs for your combo when gone through and set up properly though.

Edit: You might want to consider bumping up your comp ratio with that cam. It has similar duration to my Engle 120, and 8.5 may be a bit low. I'm running 9.3 without a hint of pinging. I do run premium though.
If anything comes out perfect it just means your measuring tools are substandard.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before u send them out read up on how to check/adjust floats. Secondly post what all your jetting: idles, mains, emulsion tubes, air correction, venturi size and pump jets. That right there will save you hundreds of dollars alone if floats or jetting is the culprit then send it out. Im a major proponent on exhausting everything at your disposal and then send it out.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichardGee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfats808 wrote:
Before u send them out read up on how to check/adjust floats. Secondly post what all your jetting: idles, mains, emulsion tubes, air correction, venturi size and pump jets. That right there will save you hundreds of dollars alone if floats or jetting is the culprit then send it out. Im a major proponent on exhausting everything at your disposal and then send it out.

Actually, I was hoping someone would TELL ME what the carburetor configuration SHOULD BE for my engine. Lazy? Perhaps. But WHY re-invent the wheel? There must be a baseline of Dellorto configuations depending upon engine size and performance expectations that would closely mirror my engine specs..?
Perhaps I need to go to ACE to be on the safe side.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your too lazy to tell us how the carbs are setup now.....

Yeah, you should employ somebody else to do it, bring money
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardGee wrote:
jfats808 wrote:

Actually, I was hoping someone would TELL ME what the carburetor configuration SHOULD BE for my engine. Lazy? Perhaps. But WHY re-invent the wheel? There must be a baseline of Dellorto configuations depending upon engine size and performance expectations that would closely mirror my engine specs..?
Perhaps I need to go to ACE to be on the safe side.

Wow. Thats all I can think atm. You want help, you have to be prepared to do some work yourself. That includes reading and surfing the internet for info. Otherwise Modok gave sound advice. Go spend the money and get it fixed by a pro. Good luck buddy.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shorrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent mine to A.C.E. and Dave completely rebuilt them. They dial them in hot on a 2 liter test engine. They ran right out of the box. I then made a few jetting changes for Denver altitude. Spend the money and don't look back.
RichardGee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shorrock wrote:
I sent mine to A.C.E. and Dave completely rebuilt them. They dial them in hot on a 2 liter test engine. They ran right out of the box. I then made a few jetting changes for Denver altitude. Spend the money and don't look back.

I'm SOLD. My engine is too precious to risk cranking and cranking and flooding or worse... Compared to $3K (and countless hours) on a new engine, a few hundred on properly tuned carbs is peanuts.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto DRLA 40 set up Reply with quote

am in a similar position now and wondering about a baseline dual DRLA 40 set up. really want to avoid endless cranking before i break in the new cam. dellorto book is in the (corona slow) mail. spec:

2007cc, 90,5 x 78 mm
oem heads (37,5 x 35) ported
Web 163 cam
1.25 (1.3) rockers
1,5" 4-1 exhaust

carbs are from an alfa, to be fully cleaned & rebuilt. current spec:
vents 28
idle 46
mains 118
air 175
emulsion .1
acc pump 35
float valve - not sure, will check
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto DRLA 40 set up Reply with quote

Aren't the carbs from Alpha's side drafts? (DHLA)?

They also usually come no where near correct jetting.

I have bought a few "Alpha take-off" carbs in the past.

Always were side drafts. Maybe there is a different Alpha with down-draft carbs?

Either way:

60 idle jets
130-135 mains
180 airs should get it running well.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto DRLA 40 set up Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
Aren't the carbs from Alpha's side drafts? (DHLA)?

no, Alfa 33, Alfa sud has a flat four that has IDFs or DRLAs

130 main with a 28 vent? No, that's too rich
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto DRLA 40 set up Reply with quote

I think you would be way better off with a 32 or 34mm venturis in those carbs with your set up and ported heads.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto DRLA 40 set up Reply with quote

am also thinking bigger vents, 32-34.

so would the following work to start with:

32 or 34 vents
55 idles
135-140 mains
180 air
35 acc pump
9164.1 emulsion

emulsion tubes - are they higher nr = more air, or the other way round? what do they actually do? it seems these carbs have two sets - the one above and something called a 'starter emulsion tube' with nr 7482.3. really need that book.
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto DRLA 40 set up Reply with quote

Just FYI stuff here.....

mcdragracer is the Dell guy. This is recent, well this decade and he has lots of experience in Dells, and that is all he does..

He rebuilt a set of mine for what I say is a good price vs. other items costs in the VW world (compare distributor rebuild costs), and he does as excellent job, great advise, plus an initial set-up based on both logistics of an engine plus expierence. He has been in the VW world for a long time.

All I can say, he has a "Service Ad" in the classifieds if you want to find him. RB

p.s. Mine before assembly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto DRLA 40 set up Reply with quote

If they have small transfer ports (all 140) stick with 28 or 30mm vents
and,.....I'm pretty sure they do
OR, enlarge the transfer ports to the 160/160/180/180 pattern used with larger vents.

BTW, also known as progression ports, sorry, I call them transfer ports cause I'm a merican
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto DRLA 40 set up Reply with quote

RailBoy - i'm the DIY type (even though my motor is also precious), thanks anyway. also i'm in europe..

modok - no worries, as long as we know what we're talking about, names aren't that important. will check the ports, been a while since i looked at the carbs. time to dig in.

so with smaller vents i'm guessing i also need to adjust down the jetting sizes accordingly?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto DRLA 40 set up Reply with quote

Right!
main jet size should be about 4.1 times vent size.

175 air jet is ok for now.
Changing it to 180 is not needed, the difference is too small to matter.

Tere are only four official emulsion tubes, and #2 is used most often.
The only difference between 1 and 2 is the hole at the top. If you want to make them #2 just solder the top hole closed.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto DRLA 40 set up Reply with quote

modok wrote:
If they have small transfer ports (all 140) stick with 28 or 30mm vents
and,.....I'm pretty sure they do
OR, enlarge the transfer ports to the 160/160/180/180 pattern used with larger vents.

BTW, also known as progression ports, sorry, I call them transfer ports cause I'm a merican

Modok, what are the transfer ports you are talking about?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Dellorto DRLA 40 set up Reply with quote

These holes. Pics of when a guy added a hole. Not a good idea BTW, but everything is worth trying in the name of science.

RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Dellorto DRLA 40 set up Reply with quote

Daos, yes I am a DIY guy as well when it comes to jetting and all.. I just ran into an issue with possible Dell Drip, so sent my carbs to him. And he said my jetting was basically spot on, so he agreed with me to put the idle mixtures screws were I had them and all on disassemble, so he counted the amount of turns on them and all that when he took them apart.

Then when I put them back on, I had no issues what so ever, and I have not touched them (nock on wood) in over 2,500 miles... Plus they run smooth, no pops or back fires or anything. The only thing I did notice when I got them back is the Dell "Chirp", which to me is pretty cool, lol.. Yea, I have jetted and ran both IDF's plus now DRLAs. For my Super with the big engine, the Dells run great. I can get up to 28mpg. The IDF, were on a 2110 Street Rail Set-Up, it was punchy but could get it. 0-60mph in under 4 seconds.. RB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: