Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volkswagen-belt-tensioner-pulley-1000090003

$23

I don't think electrickery works that way
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I had a dead windshield washer pump, so in the process of diving into the engine bay I noticed a couple things. One is that the hood struts are getting weak, and I found out why:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The other observation is that the foam around the air intake gills acts like a sponge in the heavy rain we've been having here, and that it also traps a lot of road detritus in the fender well. You rust belt folks should clean this area out annually. I think I'll revisit that foam piece this summer and try to find a way to clean and reseal it with some kind of flexible sealant so as to mitigate the water absorption.

On the topic of space; now I'm looking to cleverly use up a lot of it. I'm seriously toying with the idea of converting the van to a custom full camper interior. The concept is to use the driver side for cabinets in typical Westfalia fashion, but to make my own out of lightweight extruded aluminum framing and bamboo facings. My remaining question is whether to shorten the existing sliding rear seat/bed, or replace it with a customized fixed 'rock n' roll' seat like in the Vanagons. I'm still on the fence about this, but currently leaning toward the latter option. Thoughts?

[EDIT] I guess I should mention that I'm at liberty to entertain the idea of making the van interior less flexible because we have two vans, and this one is going to become our dedicated camper/road tripper. The other van is a Vanagon with the same interior layout as the MV models without the poptop.

Finally got around to following the lead here. I was also guided with leaves and dirt and some rust has started. Will treat with phospho before winter. No animals , but did have some angry stingy fellows nesting in the foam though.

The horn on the air box was not fully seated in my foam, fixed that , too

That’s a nice space for a house battery if you could relocate the water reservoir somewhere else - easy to do
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:

$23

I’ve read that the pulley is a T4 only piece. There’s some outfit that makes a custom replacement pulley, but that doesn’t fix this situation. Grrr

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Stripped66 wrote:

$23

I’ve read that the pulley is a T4 only piece. There’s some outfit that makes a custom replacement pulley, but that doesn’t fix this situation. Grrr

I'm using it on my '99, but I don't know if/how the tensioners differ between 12v/24v engines, or GLS/Weekenders.

I don't think electrickery works that way
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Stripped66 wrote:

$23

For future reference, I think this is what you're talking about: https://www.gruvenparts.com/24v-vr6-power-pulleys/
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I'm sitting in Sweet Home right now. If there is anyway I can help, let me know!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Stripped66 wrote:

$23

That’s the idler pulley, not the tensioner.

It could be that, of course.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

rcowan wrote:
I'm sitting in Sweet Home right now. If there is anyway I can help, let me know!!

Thanks! We had the van towed to a friend's in Albany, and I'll order the parts and drive down again to fix it. It's a fifteen minute job, but it is what it is.

y u rune klassik?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
rcowan wrote:

Thanks! We had the van towed to a friend's in Albany, and I'll order the parts and drive down again to fix it. It's a fifteen minute job, but it is what it is.

Stop in for a coffee and at my Suby Shop in Albany....oh wait, wrong coast.

Laughing
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
rcowan wrote:

Cool. Yesterday when I had to pick up my son from work, I drove past the two motels in town Laughing to make sure there wasn't still an EV in the parking lot. I was glad to not find one and confirm you got it moved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Yeah, it was towed around 3:20 or so. It's in Albany now, and we're back home in Oly waiting on parts. I might take the train down, fix and drive it back next week. Thanks for looking out for us, it would've been nice to meet.

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

This is what happens when your tensioner pulley bearing seizes and stuff gets hot.

You have been warned.

y u rune klassik?
ocelotpotpie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I had the same exact thing happen on a van. I was fortunate enough to find a local AutoZone that had the pulley in stock, and another Oreilly had the belt in stock. I was in Joshua Tree, CA, so I was pretty surprised that I was able to find the parts. It was an expensive Lyft ride getting all the bits, though.

My tensioner started cracking at the bolt threads, so I replaced it with an OEM one I had in a box from another van. I did notice the pulleys were a little bit different, but because it's just a roller I don't think it matters much at all.

In short: it's theoretically possible to source just the pulley. The tensioner itself is damn expensive.

Also IIRC that pulley bolt is opposite thread.
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

At my place of work, I have installed 28 of the aluminum Serp. belt tensioner pulleys on a mix of 12V and 24V rental vans. Theres no difference in the size of the pulleys. We have had zero issues with them so far. BTW, that bolt is left hand tight, right hand loose.

I wise investment for any Eurovan owner.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Are the pulleys made to have replaceable bearings, as in do they have a circlip holding them in place?

Now that I'm back home, I reached into my used part stash and found a smooth pulley that fit perfectly. Of course I'm not sure how long a smooth pulley could keep the belt on track, but it is nice to see the pulleys do have other potential temporary donors available. The Meyle pulley that Stripped66 posted earlier has been confirmed by others to fit this tensioner.

y u rune klassik?
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Yes, theres an internal clip to hold the replaceable bearing. That side of pulley faces the tensioner. The bolts washer wont clear the internal clip otherwise.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Thanks!

y u rune klassik?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Drove down and retrieved the van today. It took a tick over 15 mins to install the tensioner and belt. Van runs great and no other obvious signs of stress to the drivetrain. Now I get to dive into replacing the heater core

y u rune klassik?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

Does anyone have the part number or link to the replaceable bearing?

Adding this to my spares
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the dark side: 2001 Weekender Reply with quote

I believe this is the unit:

https://www.gruvenparts.com/24v-vr6-power-pulleys/

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: