Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Towing 800 lbs with 1.9L WBX
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing 800 lbs with 1.9L WBX Reply with quote

Vanuber wrote:
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. My mind is now at ease about a measly 800lbs. Next stop... What hitch to buy? Liking the Burley product.

Do you want to keep the stock bumper or add new bumpers? The Burely options all work as does the RMW twin peaks bumper.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Towing 800 lbs with 1.9L WBX Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Do you want to keep the stock bumper or add new bumpers? The Burely options all work as does the RMW twin peaks bumper.

I want to keep the whole van as stock as possible with concealed modifications - so stock bumpers. I think the Burley hitch is the least intrusive I've seen - that is after cutting that notch in the bumper! But looks the most "stock" in the end.

Re: the RMW twin peaks... I've read the powder coat finish on those and the GW bumpers do not hold up very well. What's your experience?
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jismay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing 800 lbs with 1.9L WBX Reply with quote

I'm happy enough with the weathering of the bumper on mine.
About 2 years ago my van got hit on the rear corner while in my driveway and the bumper wing got bent. Haven't had any peeling of the powdercoat. There IS wear/rusting/etc on the top side, but thats about it after I think 4 years on the van. I just fitted the matching front bumper and no complaints with that wither so far.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1989 VW Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swissarmychainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing 800 lbs with 1.9L WBX Reply with quote

I second the concern about brakes.

I can overheat my brakes frighteningly easily coming down the mountains here (near the Sierras).
I would not be afraid to tow, but trailer brakes would be awesome, and really being thoughtful about descents.

IMHO it does not leave a lot of room for emergency braking.
I don't understand why these are engineered the way they are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing 800 lbs with 1.9L WBX Reply with quote

I'm always surprised how few US trailers have any brakes at all. Even small utility trailers in the EU tend to have mechanical over-run brakes at the very least - as the max speed for trailers without brakes is so low, and tends to be enforced!
jismay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Towing 800 lbs with 1.9L WBX Reply with quote

California towing laws don't require trailer brakes for anything under 2000lbs!

Whats more scary is the number of RVs flat-towing Jeeps, etc and knowing that a good number of those don't have supplemental brakes installed.
1989 VW Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: