Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Low oil pressure, new engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomfury68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

Has anyone had problems with the empi autolinea bubble top cases? I am trying to figure out a low oil pressure issue. Tried swapping oil relief springs and valves, oil pumps, even a 32mm pump. Had 75psi with a 26mm pump during cam break in, fluctuated to 0 a few times but figured it was low oil volume in sump. Put the engine in the car to break rings in, 20 miles on engine revved it to 4500 rpm and the oil light came on when i got home. I put a guage on it and had 0 psi at idle and 25psi max at 3500 rpm. I finally tore the engine down to inspect the bearings and everything looked great. Its a 90.6 x76 with cb performance heads , full flowed with pump and case outlet plugged. Ive never had a problem like this before. I've built several engines before this one just has me stumped. Thanks for any help, thinking it might be the case, Maybe something in the case blew out
HBRag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

Is the oil pickup tube tight and sealed. The tube is normally swedged where it meets the oil galley, when installed.
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

I find on most of the Autolinia cases, that the oil holes feeding the main bearings seldom line up well with the oil grooves in the bearings.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tomfury68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

I checked the pick up tube and seemed that it was in good and tight. Is there any way to pressure check it or seal the tube. I ordered an oringed pump so the me to tear it down again. Ill double check the oil holes for the bearings again. Any internal leaks i should look for and signs, cracks to look for?
MitchS046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

are there any internal leaks from oil channels to the sump? or maybe even restrictions in those channels

~ mark divine
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

so you swapped out oil pumps? plural? and the same low to zero pressure?

WEll, don't you think the problem is not the oil pump?

And what exactly did you use for plungers and springs? The oiling system is not that complicated. - [post pics]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tomfury68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

Yeah i know that its a simple system, i had a few oil pumps and figured that case fitment was a possible issue, worth a try to rule out, right? Asking about other internal failure points since i tried a few pimps. Im not new at this, just this particular problem. Just asking for experienced opinions
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

check the pressure relief valve to bore tolerances
Tomfury68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

Tore the engine down again and air checked it. Found a hole in an oil galley next to the number 2 bearing where it has been factory clearenced. Hopefully the place i purchased it from will warranty it. Explains why i had oil pressure at first start up, aluminum was too thin and blew out.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

Nice catch! But that really sucks...I hope you get satisfaction.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

Can you post a picture?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

love to see where this hole is too.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

x3 on the picture please
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Tomfury68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

I posted a pic
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

Do you think the thin material blew out as the engine ran or was it machined like this? Well, it is aluminum, and it shouldn't be too hard to get a welder down there. Why would they produce a case with such thin walls?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

It was probably paper thin and blew out.

Many stock mag cases actually have an aluminum sleeve in that oil passage.
Possibly were porosity problems in that area.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

Now you got to find them shavings and clean the case Crying or Very sad are you gonna weld the case?
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

eye woodent just weld it. or if I did I would remachine the hole over a tad... or make sure the clearancing does not need be that far over and redrill the hole., none of my autolina cases look like that machining. you sure it's factory machining? is it a bubble top case?? it could just be sleved. many engines had issues like this ford had a production rin of 427 " race" blocks that needed sleeving, Ive sleeved pushrod holes in heads to move the pushrod over for bigger port. Ive seen many blocks with some sort of issue...some mfg effups, some defective person or machine shop...or just ax a dent tail leaving out a internal gally plug. witch is somewhat common when all plugs are pulled by shop for cleaning&machining then the owner/asselbler dont know there is a plug that go's there.... some are down in a gally that redirects the oil, leave it out and filter is bypassed...and bearings die a horriffic death with full oil pressure...
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

In the interest of learning.
Is there an oil galley in that location between the cylinder spigots?
From working on these engines. I don't recall there being one there.
Not that it makes the hole any better.
Just curious.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Low oil pressure, new engine Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
In the interest of learning.
Is there an oil galley in that location between the cylinder spigots?
From working on these engines. I don't recall there being one there.
Not that it makes the hole any better.
Just curious.

i think thats the galley that takes oil either from the pump and to the oil cooler. or its is the galley that takes the cooled oil to the main bearings
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: