Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal*Resolved
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal*Resolved Reply with quote

Howdy Folks, van has been sitting for the past two years.Doing some work to get her back road worthy. Pushed in clutch pedal, nothing there. Checked brake fluid reservoir, dry. So first i thought clutch slave. Replaced about 12 years ago with new hose. no sign of leaking there, checked all wheels and under van, no signs of leaking. Im thinking the master cylinder has given up sitting in the searing desert heat and winter nights low 30's may have did in the O ring between master and booster. I think i will order new Master from Bus Depot, install and see where im at.Brake booster clean inside,no rust and i could not feel fluid sticking finger in as far as i could. Brake pedal felt good.Thanks for looking, Thoughts?

Last edited by sagebus on Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal Reply with quote

Uugh?

Fill the reservoir and flush and bleed the air out of the clutch circuit and brake circuit. Then from there you can see what has failed for sure.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal Reply with quote

i have already removed master. i have never replaced it before, looks original. Is the O ring supposed to be square? May as well put on a new one.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal Reply with quote

I believe even if all the fluid leaked out of the brake system, the reservoir is designed to retain some fluid for the clutch. Same is true if the clutch hydraulics leaked down, there’d still be fluid for the brakes. I’m thinking you’ve got 2 problems.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Uugh?

Fill the reservoir and flush and bleed the air out of the clutch circuit and brake circuit. Then from there you can see what has failed for sure.

I agree. What I'm reading from the OP is "My gas tank is empty, so I'll change the gas tank". Fill the circuit with fluid and take it from there.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal Reply with quote

35+ years on the road, I would replace all the hydraulic components for the clutch and brake system. There is only so many years that they parts will last and I would not want them to fail while driving it. Neither would the other people on the road.
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal Reply with quote

You are right on Vic, the gas tank was empty as well after two years, but im not going to replace it. I hope. But i am going to order a tank reseal kit. wanted to buy the kit from Van Cafe with the aluminum fittings, out of stock. the gas tank being empty made changing the fuel lines less messy. Im with Butcher in replacing any 36 year old hydraulic parts. So i thought i would replace the brake master while it was out.Plus need to order a new master to booster O ring, cant buy one here. Rear brake hose and wheel cylinders three years ago. Front brake hose and new clutch slave cylinder with new hose 10 yrs. No drips on driver side floor mats. the van has been parked nose down. Brake fluid must have leaked into booster?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal Reply with quote

O ring usually comes with new master and it is square.
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal Reply with quote

Thanks Mark for confirming that the O ring is square. I pulled one out of my breather tower last week that had been in so long it was square and came out in bits like old hard plastic.I will order new brake master with O ring, new reservoir grommets. along with new reservoir cap so i can drill a hole in it, put in a tire fill valve ( schrader valve?) so i can use the go westy cooling system pressurization pump to pump about 10 lb of air to help bleed brakes and clutch slave. I will report back when i get the parts.Thank you everyone! Can i clean my plastic brake reservoir with brake or carburetor cleaner?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal Reply with quote

Master will have the reservoir grommets as well. I like to gravity bleed and get an assistant to pump the pedal for the final bleed.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal Reply with quote

Pull the carpet out immediately and examine the mat. If it is saturated with brake fluid it is ruined.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal Reply with quote

sagebus wrote:
Can i clean my plastic brake reservoir with brake or carburetor cleaner?

Watched a tutorial on youtube from Thomas EXOVCDS earlier today (I have to change my master cylinder as well...), he cleaned the plastic reservoir with warm water, then brake parts cleaner.
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the grommets Mark. I will take a closer look at the carpet in the morning Gnarlodious, it didnt appear to have leaked out of of the dash area at a simple glance. Carpet is already pretty matted down and gnarly as it is. i have a new set of camper curtains on order from Sewfine. I am looking around for new carpet in the front as well. May use Sewfine carpet too. And Vic thanks for the video link. Youtube has been a big help to me. I will order parts in the morning, should get them by the end of the week. I have plenty of other repairs ongoing. Replaced the push rod tubes on the right side yesterday. Having a little trouble getting the rocker arm on while keeping the rods seated. Bought the spring loaded push rod tubes from Ken Wilford, i read on his site today vanagon dot com, that a little dab of grease may help keep the rods seated until i can get the rocker back on.No doubt i will need advice with in days to come.Thanks for your time everyone.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal Reply with quote

I said that because the original black tube coming down from the reservoir is very stiff so the plastic nipple in back (front vanwise) of the clutch cylinder can flex from pushing the pedal which causes the nipple to fatigue and crack and leak. You can’t really see the crack but it gets worse over time and eventually the mat gets saturated and is ruined because the brake fluid acts as a solvent. Happened to me and it was a big old mess. I replaced the original rigid tube with a more flexible clear vinyl tube, which has worked well for about 8 years.
sagebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Empty Brake Resorvoir, no clutch pedal* solved Reply with quote

OK, three weeks later i replaced brake master and clutch master as i assumed the brake master had leaked into brake booster. While ordering the clutch master it said that the clutch slave should be replaced at the same time so ordered slave as well. After taking off the slave cylinder, the boot was full of brake fluid. Found the leak! I didnt see any signs of leaking until i pulled off the boot. I have a lot of oil leaks i have been trying to stop when i discovered i had no clutch when i wanted to put gearshift in neutral so i could turn over the engine by hand to help get the pushrods seated in place.Well the pushrods have kept me busy as i had a long wait for parts to be shipped.Brake master was missing the O ring when i opened the box, $12.95 for the O ring by its self. Local VW dealer got one the next day so i didnt have to wait another week for shipping. I was worth it just to get it done. Now about those pushrods. I have read all kinds if tips watched the video's i could find, no luck...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: