Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

The only stress an aluminum tank causes is the kind felt by your bank account.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

Marital stress?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

I`m no engineer, I didn`t take physics or chemistry classes besides the main ones taught at high school but common sense would tell me rubber would expand at a greater rate than the plastic tank no matter what, it`s not like it`s equal. For the tank to expand, you would have to reach the expansion limit of the rubber hoses first since they are quite different material.

Next subject! Very Happy
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
I`m no engineer, I didn`t take physics or chemistry classes besides the main ones taught at high school....

Next subject! Very Happy

Next subject is Home Economics...please be quiet and no rough housing in the hall on the way there Wink

Link

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

I am also technically not an engineer but my major in college was mechanical engineering and I did take physics classes and what not.

The pressure acting on the mostly curved walls of the plastic expansion tank is much less likely to distort any part of that tank unless it is trying to blow it up like a balloon.
This is not likely at the pressure levels we are dealing with in a typical cooling system.

Whereas with the rectangular expansion tank it's a lot more likely to see deflection or expansion in the middle of each panel than near the corners.

This is primarily why you don't see a whole lot of square or rectangular air pressure vessels.
That uneven deflection can lead to fatigue at weld joints and such resulting in a rupture.

Anyway I call bs on the theory in the original post.
The only way I will buy that is if a VW engineer jumps on here and tells me otherwise.

As has been stated, there are many other parts of the cooling system that would expand well before any expansion tank.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

Do not trust that mechanic with anything involving physics. He has no idea what he is talking about.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Your mechanic means well I’m sure, but he is just another example of the overall caliber of workers in the auto repair field today.

Kids really need a better grasp of physics and general knowledge today.

Dave

Funny. My guess was that this mechanic was older than 50. Perhaps at some point when he was younger and the plastic tanks were introduced a creative tech rep was hearing objections about "plastics being the downfall to us all" from a then old dude (now 100 years old) and the rep pulled out the "magic of plastics is they expand and relieve the rest of the system from stress" and the kid bought it and has been saying that for decades.

@oceanair, thanks for bringing this here even if it's been challenged. Lots of ideas. I'm sure a plastic chamber can be made to change not at all under 15 psi or more than any sort of hoses and components depending on design criteria.

The idea of changing the tank AND all of the hoses on a maintenance schedule seems wasteful. I'll rely on lifetime durability of my tank and replace the hoses regardless every so often.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

Find a smarter mechanic
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

ThatAl tank is crazy over-engineered

There must be a million aftermarket tanks that could be adapted to this application. Ok, a million is probably hyperbole.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

I'd be more concerned about the dissimilar metals and electrolysis through the coolant. Wink

Bad Mark, bad! Shocked Laughing
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

Quote:
This is primarily why you don't see a whole lot of square or rectangular air pressure vessels.
That uneven deflection can lead to fatigue at weld joints and such resulting in a rupture.

Is this a cause for long term service?
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
Quote:

Is this a cause for long term service?

If your asking if the RMW tank might be failure prone I am definitely not suggesting that.

At these pressures and with the right material thickness and proper welds I don't see a problem.

If it were fluctuating between 75-100psi and atmosphere I would be more concerned.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

I'd be more concerned about the dissimilar metals and electrolysis through the coolant. Wink

Bad Mark, bad! Shocked Laughing
Ohh, I see what he did there, Missed that the first time I read it... Razz Razz Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:

Thoughts?

Utter bollocks. As others have noted, the pressure cap releases at the same pressure - there cannot be any extra stress on the hoses.

A worrying lack of logic from a mechanic...
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
oceanair wrote:

Thoughts?

Utter bollocks. As others have noted, the pressure cap releases at the same pressure - there cannot be any extra stress on the hoses.

A worrying lack of logic from a mechanic...

Far too common!

I’ve been fixing an SVX swap for a customer here in Hi, done by the previous owner, a mechanic with his own business on the mainland, no recovery tank. LOL! it was just pissing off from the Golf/Jetta expansion tank cap pressure relief valve ( the same as Vanagon but no nipple), Vanagon expansion tank
His explanation was that there are not any recovery tanks on the SVX ( oh yeah? Rolling Eyes )
It’s physics, fluid expands when hot, pressure gotta go somewhere and the volume of coolant in the Vanagon is much bigger!.... well, not surprising when I saw the level of bodge of everything else on this van.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
kevin77westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

Hogwash. I'm chugging the cool aid! Installed this little beauty today.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
The max pressure of 14-15psi is what the entire system will see once the engine reaches normal operating temperature and the entire system is designed to withstand that maximum pressure for an indefinite period of time.

It is impossible for the aluminum tank to cause additional stress on other components in the system vs. a plastic tank because the material of the expansion tank is neither what is creating the stress, nor is it what is regulating the stress on the entire system.

The easy way (IMO) to understand it is that the only thing that the minute expansion of the tank can accomplish is to increase the system volume. So that tiny expansion would decrease the overall system pressure (infinitesimally) only as long as it takes for system pressure to stabilize - it's a dynamic system as ?Waldo? describes. And as soon as the expansion stops - which it obviously does as the pressure and temperature stabilize (controlled by the cap vent as well), then it becomes a fixed volume again (as the aluminum tank mostly is) until you stop running and it cools down.

What the mechanic said could only make sense in a static pressurized system, and then only in the context of how much air/water volume it would take to reach failure of the expandable components, never in dynamically pressure controlled system like we're talking about.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

When recovery tanks were first being added to cooling systems I remember hearing that because the top tanks of the radiators no longer had an air pocket the there were increased pressure spikes in the cooling system that could harm the radiator causing it to leak. This actually seemed plausible, but I don't think I ever actually noticed any increase in failures, in fact if anything the opposite happened, failures went down. Even when I added coolant recovery tanks to earlier vehicles, which I did to quiet a few rig of various natures, I did not see an increased failure rate for cooling system parts. I will admit that I often dropped the cap pressure at the same time I added the recovery tank though in an effort to protect old radiators and other aging cooling system components.

All that said, getting rig of the OEM style pressure cap is for me a real plus as it is known to fail and allow the cooling system pressure to climb above the design pressure. I really like being able to waltz in to any autoparts and buy a new cap if I think I need one. I have RMW aluminium tanks on both of my Vanagons, one a 83 1/2 with a 2.1L cooling system and the other a 91 with a 2.2 Subaru.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
When recovery tanks were first being added to cooling systems I remember hearing that because the top tanks of the radiators no longer had an air pocket the there were increased pressure spikes in the cooling system that could harm the radiator causing it to leak. This actually seemed plausible, but I don't think I ever actually noticed any increase in failures, in fact if anything the opposite happened, failures went down. Even when I added coolant recovery tanks to earlier vehicles, which I did to quiet a few rig of various natures, I did not see an increased failure rate for cooling system parts. I will admit that I often dropped the cap pressure at the same time I added the recovery tank though in an effort to protect old radiators and other aging cooling system components.

All that said, getting rig of the OEM style pressure cap is for me a real plus as it is known to fail and allow the cooling system pressure to climb above the design pressure. I really like being able to waltz in to any autoparts and buy a new cap if I think I need one. I have RMW aluminium tanks on both of my Vanagons, one a 83 1/2 with a 2.1L cooling system and the other a 91 with a 2.2 Subaru.

Actually, with air in the system the pressure will be higher than if it's purged and all liquid. For any given temperature, the pressure will be the sum of the partial pressure of the liquid, and the partial pressure of the air. Seems odd, but it's easily seen in heat sterilization of liquid filled containers (something I've done for decades).
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Got a lesson about aluminum expansion tanks Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Actually, with air in the system the pressure will be higher than if it's purged and all liquid. For any given temperature, the pressure will be the sum of the partial pressure of the liquid, and the partial pressure of the air. Seems odd, but it's easily seen in heat sterilization of liquid filled containers (something I've done for decades).

The pressure cap will take care of what you are talking about, what the pressure cap may not be able to handle is shock waves running through the system, a hydraulic system with a 15 psi relief valve may momentarily actually see pressures many times the pressure of the relief if there is nothing to absorb the pressure spikes. As I said I never noticed any actual problem with this on an automotive cooling system.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: