Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

That VW smell
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nbraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: That VW smell Reply with quote

Had an older fellow looking at my bug the other day and he commented that it still has that "VW smell"...making reference to the horsehair aroma of the seat cushioning. I always kinda liked that smell. Does your bug still have the "essence"?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

Gee whiz info, the seat cushion pads are actually made from coir, not horsehair.
Nbraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

I am aware it's not horsehair having owned horses. It's just what we always called it in the day. Whatever it is ...it smells like younger days. Smells better than coconuts.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

I kept the origal stuff in my rear seats but replaced the front. I would argue that the "smell" also originates from the floor padding material. My seats are out of my 71 yet the smell is still present. I held an old seat cushion to my nose and didn't get the "smell".
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snoopy1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

Yep mine still has that vw smell
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

You can be assured. If you are ever kidnapped, blindfolded and put into a VW. You can eliminate 99% of the driving public.
The smell is a dead give away. Very Happy

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

No, the VW smell went away in my Bug when I replaced my old seat pads and covers, as well as the moldy door cards. Since the carpet had been recently replaced by the previous owner, and I replaced all the hoses, going to and from the fuel tank, my bug ended up smelling more like Charlize Theron, than an old book, laced with used motor oil.

I don’t expect the VW smell to return for a long, long time since the “horsehair” (coconut fiber) seat cushions I got from Wolfsburg West, were impregnated with latex. Also, I painted the interior of my new TMI door cards with several coats of oil-based paint, which sealed them up against mold. And garaging the car helps keep out moisture during the winter.

I don’t really miss that nostalgic VW smell, especially since my first VW was purchased new in 1969, and new VW’s didn’t smell like old memories until a few years—and probably a few owners—later.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Beeble1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

Yep. Mine still has the distinctive “VW aroma” Very Happy

Dealership items from Bishop-Wayne Volkswagen & Turner Volkswagen in Kankakee, IL wanted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

That is an insightful and accurate assessment, Tim.

For myself, I do like the "old VW" smell. There is something comforting about it. At some point in recent years, the seat upholstery and padding were replaced in my Sun Bug (with foam, not coco fiber), but it still has the old VW smell. However, now that the original headliner, carpet and newer seat upholstery are about to all be replaced, I have wondered if the old VW smell will linger.

An old friend once bought a 1974 semi automatic Super Beetle from an elderly man, in 1995, who bought it new and garaged it all its' life. It had 42k original miles on it when my friend bought it. The SB still smelled new to us! It did not really have the "old VW" smell, but had a newer car smell and that was when I realized how differently classic VWs smelled when they were new.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

I never knew vw's had a specific smell... Confused
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

It’s a mixture of cigarettes, weed, spilled beer, patchouli and sweat. Maybe dirty laundry and hippy funk. Type 2s and campers can be more intense 😀
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
It’s a mixture of cigarettes, weed, spilled beer, patchouli and sweat. Maybe dirty laundry and hippy funk. Type 2s and campers can be more intense 😀

Forgot one. Burning oil scent
Nbraynard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

I should have said "aroma". My bug doesn't smell like an old cat box. Sorry if yours does. Just that vintage VW aroma.
Zerrh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

The nostalgia it brings, gotta love it.
jeremy.g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

*** wonders idly how Tim ever got close enough to know what Charlize Theron smells like. . .
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

jeremy.g wrote:
*** wonders idly how Tim ever got close enough to know what Charlize Theron smells like. . .

Laughing Tim's a player!!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

Just so you guys know, she smells like cotton candy Wink

Tim

Richard O'Brien
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

[]

Last edited by FullFender on Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

Ridiculously off topic but I just couldn't resist... Very Happy

Tim Donahoe wrote:
... my bug ended up smelling more like Charlize Theron, than an old book, laced with used motor oil...

vamram wrote:
jeremy.g wrote:

Laughing Tim's a player!!

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Just so you guys know, she smells like cotton candy Wink
Tim

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Blue69Baja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: That VW smell Reply with quote

My 72 Super has all orig interior. It has a new VW smell that can not be described. It is a bit messy under the seats as the "HAIR" continues to deteriorate but I refuse to replace the OEM covers and cushion material..
I have 1 small tear on the drivers seat back. Caused by the sun when parked at the Orig owners work. I just put a T shirt over the back that has VW 49 on it. Looks good..hahahaa

Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: