Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harbor Freight jack stand recall
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Looks fine from here. If I were going under there and really having to yank on something like a rear trans hanger bolt, I would back them up somehow with wood or spare tires maybe.

Glad I have a scissor lift. I can use it for everything from a moped to a full size Chevy truck. No issues with stability.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My neighbor has one of these scissor lifts and loves it. His car just barely clears it so it's stowed under the car.

This is my world... Anxious

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Here is another alternative (QuickJack) talked about in other forums:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683430&start=27

But note the need for setting them parallel here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697791&start=26
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

This is my world... Anxious

Is this the correct jack point location for the front end? I put mine under the beam.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

^^^ That's a Super Beetle. It has no beam. You are doing it right, though.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
^^^ That's a Super Beetle. It has no beam. You are doing it right, though.

Thanks for pointing that out. I did not know that.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

I went to harbor freight today, funny they think people still would buy their jack stands after this

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop

Last edited by Ceckert64 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Not sure why the lmfao. It seems like a good thing that they are getting their shit together, and producing an improved product.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

speaking of, I see what looks like a similar to bendpack left at harbor freight Shocked

https://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lb-capacity-scissor-lift-91315.html

I was in one briefly yesterday to get a cigarette lighter plug in air compressor. I looked and didn't see any jack stands. Was trying to get a look at their new 140amp mig welder but some guy was all over it touching every little thing

Last edited by Erik G on Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

HF has been selling that scissor lift for years. You used to be able to get 20% off on it a few years ago but now I am not sure if the coupon still works on it. Maybe you still can use the coupon on it.

Personally, I am not comfortable getting under a car that is being held up by their jacks stands or lift. I am not a HF basher, I use a number of their tools.

If anyone is looking for a replacement for their HF jack stands, I recently got some ProLifts from Home Depot to retire my 30 year old craftsman sets. I like them a lot. They seem solid and have the double locking pins.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Not sure if this video has been posted in here yet, but I found it informative...

Link

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Not sure why the lmfao. It seems like a good thing that they are getting their shit together, and producing an improved product.

Applause

If it were Wells Fargo , the solution would be to double bill you for your medical costs
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Applause

If it were Wells Fargo , the solution would be to double bill you for your medical costs

And still, to this date, not one of those sumbitches has even been charged with a crime, much less be made to spend time behind bars.
carlos_magnum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

I have HF jackstands although they are not part of the recall. Also, I rarely use them.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Abscate wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Applause

And still, to this date, not one of those sumbitches has even been charged with a crime, much less be made to spend time behind bars.

Everyone from sAles manager up should have their ball sack clamped in a harbor freight jack stand pawl.

Staying on topic.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

gotta love the paper stickers with all the importaint stuff on them... that alone should be a recall.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Destructive testing of jack stands in Finland:
https://youtu.be/GjmXQNhKCks
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Destructive testing of jack stands in Finland:
https://youtu.be/GjmXQNhKCks

Love the hydraulic press channel. Been watchin for years with my daughter.

Interesting how well the blue aluminum tube style stand held up. Even more interesting to watch it get completely smashed to bits. Didn't someone in here tell us it was unsafe?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Another jack stand test. Gotta love Project Farm.

Link

wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Applause

I dont know where to put this but Wells Fargo is the WORST bank I have ever delt with. Been trying for months to get a simple bank statement...even done a postal inquiry. Talked with six people there and still havent got my statements. Been 7 months.....had account for years, all of a sudden, seven months ago, they just stopped.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight jack stand recall Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Applause

I dont know where to put this but Wells Fargo is the WORST bank I have ever delt with. Been trying for months to get a simple bank statement...even done a postal inquiry. Talked with six people there and still havent got my statements. Been 7 months.....had account for years, all of a sudden, seven months ago, they just stopped.

Take every dime you have with them (or any mega bank) and run far and fast. Find a local credit union and never look back.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: