Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A lot of heat in the front cabin: solutions?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: A lot of heat in the front cabin: solutions? Reply with quote

Hi to all,

Even I put as always the levers on the right position to try to get less heat inside de vanagon, it still come quite a lot of heat for the dash vent.

Is there options ? ... Did someones have hear about adding a valve to the heater core by the glovebox entrance ?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635114

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A lot of heat in the front cabin : solutions ? Reply with quote

I think there are a lot of posts/threads about this. I think it is sometimes referred to as "hot foot" problem. I believe that the valve to the heater core is not shutting completely. Some people replace the original valve, some add another valve that they hide behind glove box, or somewhere else. And just open it in cooler weather.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A lot of heat in the front cabin : solutions ? Reply with quote

If the cable isn’t adjusted right, you will still have a partially open heater valve

If the heater valve leaks internally, and doesn’t really shut off , you get unwanted heat. One is an adjustment, the other requires a new heater valve OR you install another valve like kquarnotta was talking about as a master shut off valve in one of the heater hoses going to the heater core.
Pictures here on Samba , either way

So, have a friend work the heater valve cable while you lie under the front of the Vanagon with a flashlight, checking the travel of the cable and seeing if it hits the stops on the valve. Really helps to remove the spare tire and lower the clamshell / tire carrier for better viewing.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A lot of heat in the front cabin : solutions ? Reply with quote

Here is a helpful thread as well:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699361
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A lot of heat in the front cabin: solutions? Reply with quote

Thanks !

I will order the Terry front heater shut off valve.

As Dave did, I might do a double approach, so with the shut off valve, I will replace the OEM valve near the spare tire and adjust the cable, then add some insulation under the foot.

I don’t have anymore the rear heater, so no need this side.

I will install the valve as several did, near the shifter, on a vertical hose to the front heater core.

Many thanks !

(brown/tan interior)
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: A lot of heat in the front cabin: solutions? Reply with quote

Well, how warm is the ambient air outside? You have heard yet that there is no outside air shutoff on stock Vanagon setup? If it's hot outside, then hot air comes in, unless you take measures to mitigate that. Several options, take apart dash and add a closure in front of the air inlet, as one of the Dave's has, or block it with duct tape or a flapper as a product by one of the Chris's... Seriously, it's a problem VW endowed us with .. can't imagine not building a outside air shutoff as an engineer, let alone a layperson.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=605822

https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/cabin-air-control/
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A lot of heat in the front cabin: solutions? Reply with quote

If the cable is bent all to heck you will not be able to turn the heat off. Look for my cable mod on this page

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A lot of heat in the front cabin: solutions? Reply with quote

I tried several different heater valves, but nothing worked as well as installing a second heater valve right in the engine compartment, leaving the factory valve for the front heater core where it is. Here's an older thread in which I showed my setup: (see bottom of page 1)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9063578&highlight=#9063578
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: A lot of heat in the front cabin: solutions? Reply with quote

Before you order a valve, consider this new product from Vanistan (same source as the air door recommended by bobbyblack.

https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/t3-vanagon-front-heater-valve/

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9342356#9342356

maco70 wrote:
Thanks !

I will order the Terry front heater shut off valve.

As Dave did, I might do a double approach, so with the shut off valve, I will replace the OEM valve near the spare tire and adjust the cable, then add some insulation under the foot.

I don’t have anymore the rear heater, so no need this side.

I will install the valve as several did, near the shifter, on a vertical hose to the front heater core.

Many thanks !

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A lot of heat in the front cabin: solutions? Reply with quote

Great idea, following great new product from Vanistan

Thanks !

(brown/tan interior)
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: A lot of heat in the front cabin: solutions? Reply with quote

Every 80's VW i ever owned needed a new heater control valve at some point. Most of them it was the first thing I did to it. After that they all got headlight relays. I have low tolerance for stray heat and dim lights.

A new heater valve fixed each and every one. Two valves are not necessary. It is true that the original valves are no longer available. I recently installed several Meyle valve in Vanagons and they are working correctly.

Of course the job of heater valve replacement in a Vanagon is the mother of all 80's VW heater valves. I usually do it prophylactically when the radiator is out. I put a slight pre-load on the cable to ensure complete closure. If you can blow through a heater valve it is not sealing.
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A lot of heat in the front cabin: solutions? Reply with quote

What a great call, if I can say, Hardway.
Blowing through the heater valve is cleaver, simple, but I didn’t think about it !
I will
thanks

(brown/tan interior)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: