Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Full Flow Oil Filter Question?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked eBay. What about the 51615mp.

What's the "mp" represent?

Any ideas?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esde wrote:
any reason you are trying different Wix filters, and not the 51515 Wix that we all know works?
I've stocked up on them (51515), as the current HP1 and K&N are not getting good feedback. I also run the Motorcraft FL1A in a pinch, the seal is good and the canister is heavy duty.

It did not come up in my research as a VW Oil filter to use! Differences's: It Bigger, Lower Bypass Pressure, Lower Burst Pressure. I may try it though and let you know if drains back! Wix 51515, Wix 51342.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hustlers67 wrote:

Any ideas?

Is it a Wix? Isn't it a Hydraulic? Wix Oil Filters.
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Hustlers67 wrote:

Any ideas?

Is it a Wix? Isn't it a Hydraulic? Wix Oil Filters.

Sorry. My typo. It should have read 51515mp.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the MP Just means it's the Manufactures Part Number.
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you've noticed, the 51615mp is a hydraulic filter, and if you look at the specs it doesn't have a bypass valve setting or a rated gpm capacity. I don't think it's designed for fluid to be constantly flowing through it like an oil filter attached to an engine is. Is there a reason you're looking at this thing?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read 2 post up! It's a mistake but it's making me wonder what it is that the Beta Ratio Tells us about an filter?
Wix 51615, Wix 51515. Found this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=342472 sounds like our filters don't filter very well!
Wix Link:Wix Filters can't find any that are better. New Beetle the same Porsche 911 the same! Intresting the Wix 51515 is a 66 Ford Mustange Oil filter!
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just extending on this post (if I may)...

What size hose (inside diameter) are people running on their full flow set ups??

3/8" too small?

1/2" ok??
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore that, I found a thread on hose size.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Intresting the Wix 51515 is a 66 Ford Mustange Oil filter!

Almost all Ford V-8 engines from the 50's-80's use this filter. It is the most common size. In fact the Motorcraft FL-1 filter is one of the best kept secrets.

Here is an interesting tidbit of info. There are only 3-4 paper mills in the world that make the actual paper filtering media that goes inside the 75 different brands of oil filters.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Flow Oil Filter Question? Reply with quote

So I just went through the Oil Change Log for the 1971 VW Bus to see all the different oil filters I have tried:

Mann 715/5 (Had issues with drain back.)
Wix 51342 (Good all around filter nice size long small dia occasionally drained back.)
Hastings LF493F (should be the cross ref for the Wix 51342 but now it seems no longer available.)
Wix 51515(Huge like the HP-1 oil filters, Need more oil though to do a oil change with them, seems like a great filter for doing VW air cooled full flow, I did get ocasional Drain back with them but not often.) Lookup.
EcoGard Synthetic S4670 (Excellent performance no drain back issues perhaps because of it's odd size short and fat!)
Bosch 3400 (Worked ok not too big nice size available at Napa in the Napa gold brand Occasional Drain back issues but easy to find and inexpensive.)
Parts Master 61342(Cross Ref as a Wix 51342 rarely drains back Like the 51342 this filter has a 16 lb/sq inch bypass which is a little high for doing full flow.)
I am open to suggestions, What about K&N HP-3001's?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Flow Oil Filter Question? Reply with quote

Just ordered the "FRAM Ultra Synthetic Oil Filter - Top of the Line - FRAM's Best - XG16" its a small full flow oil filter with 21 micron filtering. Cross Ref's to the Wix 51085
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Full Flow Oil Filter Question? Reply with quote

Great thread, watching with interest!
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Full Flow Oil Filter Question? Reply with quote

Me too. Questions...
Is it possible to mount the filter UP so you don’t get oil all over during an oil change? Thinking about how I’m going to mount my full flow...
I’m mounting it in the drivers rear tire well I guess behind the tire.
What’s the cleanest and most efficient mounting method?
Also looking at a filter as well.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Full Flow Oil Filter Question? Reply with quote

I've been using the Motorcraft FL1A on mine, I think it's a great filter. For what it's worth.
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Flow Oil Filter Question? Reply with quote

Hi I am using a Wix 51452, has a higher burst pressure than a Wix 51515. Have cut both open , same filter material and constuction, same anti drainback valve size/shape but one was made of silicone and one nitrile, bypass spring the same, but has a slightly heavier gauge can
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Full Flow Oil Filter Question? Reply with quote

I am kind of having buyers remorse after ordering 6 Fram filters before I saw this video: Maybe the Fram Synthetic will be better than the old standard Fram filters, Still It would be nice to have real springs for the Drain Back valves.
Looks like it does have a real bypass spring Here in the Fram Specifications: https://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG16

Link

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Flow Oil Filter Question? Reply with quote

Looks like as Fram Filters Go the Ultra Synthetic are the best constructed ones:

Link

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Flow Oil Filter Question? Reply with quote

Canton Mecca

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Full Flow Oil Filter Question? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
I am kind of having buyers remorse after ordering 6 Fram filters before I saw this video: Maybe the Fram Synthetic will be better than the old standard Fram filters, Still It would be nice to have real springs for the Drain Back valves.
Looks like it does have a real bypass spring Here in the Fram Specifications: https://www.fram.com/parts-search/XG16

Link

Thanks for posting , Yep ,I will stick with Wix, and a good price too
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: