Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Skylight Fit Check / Leaking [~solved~]
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeywhatwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Skylight Fit Check / Leaking [~solved~] Reply with quote

Hello guys and gals. I recently replaced my skylight and it doesn't seem to fit quite right. I must have done something wrong on the install. It's leaking if I pour a bit of water on it as a test.

I saw this topic posted about before and I believe I have the exact same issue but I don't see anyone give any advice for how to resolve this.

Any ideas?

Previous post I saw:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=326981

Picture of it "off center":

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks!
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Skylight Fit Check / Leaking Reply with quote

I can't quite tell any issues from the picture. What parrts did you repalce exactly?

I did mine a few months ago (acutally maybe 6+ months ago?) No leaks. If you replaced the bolts through the top - did you use new sealant there? Is that where the leak is?

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Skylight Fit Check / Leaking Reply with quote

Image shows the roller on passenger side hinge arm not seating into the end of guide.

Maybe open top part way, loosen some fasteners, gently close top, see if that roller seats and if lid seats better to seal then re tighten fasteners?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
CGriz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Skylight Fit Check / Leaking Reply with quote

Those aren’t supposed to leak? Wink
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Skylight Fit Check / Leaking Reply with quote

I just installed a new one too, and the roller on driver side does not reach the end, just like in your photo - but I've got no leaks.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Skylight Fit Check / Leaking Reply with quote

mikeywhatwhat wrote:
Hello guys and gals. I recently replaced my skylight and it doesn't seem to fit quite right. I must have done something wrong on the install. It's leaking if I pour a bit of water on it as a test.

I saw this topic posted about before and I believe I have the exact same issue but I don't see anyone give any advice for how to resolve this.

Any ideas?

Previous post I saw:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=326981

Picture of it "off center":

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Just replaced mine as well, and have the "offset" issue in that the guide arms align differently on the guide rails. I don't know if the skylight arms are somehow "different" or if the guide track was machined mis-matched. Mine looks like yours.

If you have the old plexiglass window, check and see if it is different thickness, not at the edges but in the middle. My old one seemed like it was a double-thickness in the center, a top shell and a bottom shell maybe 1/2" or so below the top. Almost like a clam-shell. The new one seems like a single piece.

If this is the case, and if mine leaked (I cannot tell yet, so perhaps good to do), it seems the leading edge of the plexiglass sits higher than the original, meaning the plexiglass itself is "shorter". It seems to sit higher on the hinges on the front. My solution would be to add some washers between the hinge and the plexiglass (between the contact point), in effect to force the glass to sit lower onto the rubber grommet. See if your plexiglass sits lower towards the rear of the van versus sitting level.

One leak point was where the ends of the grommet comes together (the rubber channel going around the cut-out opening). I had to use a good amount of silicone across the cut gap joint to help seal this join area. I added silicone into the grommet grip tracks and ran a bead across the grommet joint line.

Thanks!

Edit to add: THE day the parts arrived, after work I decided to replace my skylight. Checked the weather, good to go. Started at 4 pm. Window was out completely by 5 pm. At 5:11 the heavens opened up, wind, hail, lightning, and no garage. The shipping box make a good temporary hole cover to keep most, but not all, of the water out. So, I had a hurried installation working under a box, under a hastily strung-over tarp, to install my skylight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Skylight Fit Check / Leaking Reply with quote

Is the seal on inside out? The cushy part needs to be against the lexan cover. Your's appears to be pointed down.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Skylight Fit Check / Leaking Reply with quote

That looks like the one I sold you complete with the mechanism and seal - I can confirm it was fully watertight for me before I replaced it with the Fantastic Fan.

Get that arm properly riding in the track, check the seal is the right way round, and check the whole thing is centered. The hinges at the front can be moved a bit wrt the hole. You'll get there! Smile
mikeywhatwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Skylight Fit Check / Leaking Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Is the seal on inside out? The cushy part needs to be against the lexan cover. Your's appears to be pointed down.

Ah ha! The cushy side is facing down inside the van, that may be the problem! I am going to take a look tonight and reverse the seal.
mikeywhatwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Skylight Fit Check / Leaking Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
That looks like the one I sold you complete with the mechanism and seal - I can confirm it was fully watertight for me before I replaced it with the Fantastic Fan.

Get that arm properly riding in the track, check the seal is the right way round, and check the whole thing is centered. The hinges at the front can be moved a bit wrt the hole. You'll get there! Smile

Yep, this is your old skylight. Thanks for confirming it was watertight on your van. I am 99.9% sure this is user error. I am going to fiddle with it tonight. Thanks for this response!
mikeywhatwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Skylight Fit Check / Leaking Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Image shows the roller on passenger side hinge arm not seating into the end of guide.

Maybe open top part way, loosen some fasteners, gently close top, see if that roller seats and if lid seats better to seal then re tighten fasteners?

Neil.

Good thinking. I'll report back this evening after I get a chance to fiddle with it.
mikeywhatwhat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Skylight Fit Check / Leaking Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

This was it! Thanks so much for looking at the photo closely and giving this advice. We are now leak free Smile
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Skylight Fit Check / Leaking Reply with quote

A result. Applause
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Skylight Fit Check / Leaking [~solved~] Reply with quote

Phew! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: