Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shaving of the upper control arm for rim / wheel fitment?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Shaving of the upper control arm for rim / wheel fitment? Reply with quote

Pretty straight forward question:

How much is safe to shave back from the upper control arm for clearance bigger and different ET rims / tires?

I'm currently running a 20mm spacer up front for my 18x8 ET47's. I would like to pull them back in a little more just for looks and less stress on the bearings.

Can I safely shave 2mm? 5mm? 10mm? What's generally considered safe?

(And PLEASE lets hear from those that have done it not those that have a feeling or are desk chair mechanics.)

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Shaving of the upper control arm for rim / wheel fitment? Reply with quote

I did this and it was definitely no more than 2mm of material, probably less.

Look at this image of the control arm you can zoom in on.

https://www.buslab.com/product-p/251407047b.htm

Obviously, can't measure it from a photo, but the metal is not thick enough that I'd be comfortable taking off 5-10mm.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Shaving of the upper control arm for rim / wheel fitment? Reply with quote

Sitting in my arm chair at the moment. I’ve done at lot of modifications in my years. A picture would be helpful of the area you intend to shave. There was a very good thread about relocating upper ball joints by completely removing the ball joint end and refabricating to accept a ball joint with more height. Where possible he added gussets to add strength back. They also shave rear trailing arms, but add strength back by seam welding. I’m used to thinking in inches, but 10mm is a lot of material to remove from anything. .010” to .030” is probably an amount that might be removed safely. Back to Netflix.
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaving of the upper control arm for rim / wheel fitment? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
I did this and it was definitely no more than 2mm of material, probably less.

Look at this image of the control arm you can zoom in on.

https://www.buslab.com/product-p/251407047b.htm

Obviously, can't measure it from a photo, but the metal is not thick enough that I'd be comfortable taking off 5-10mm.

Oh...ya...that put it into perspective a lot more than looking at it mounted on the van with the bushings etc. There isn't nearly as much there as I thought. I thought it was more of a solid forged piece that's much thicker.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was after.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Shaving of the upper control arm for rim / wheel fitment? Reply with quote

a2wolfsburggli wrote:

Oh...ya...that put it into perspective a lot more than looking at it mounted on the van with the bushings etc. There isn't nearly as much there as I thought. I thought it was more of a solid forged piece that's much thicker.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was after.

The Syncro UCAs are cast and much heavier, maybe that's what you were thinking of.

Robyn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: