Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay Window Blues... and crack prices
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccowx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Blues... and crack prices Reply with quote

I grew up in Vancouver, BC and half my family and several good freinds are in Seattle. Prices on the west coast seem to be especially high, but they are high everywhere. I get it!

Problem is that bus's are rightfully popular and the supply of good ones has fallen off a cliff in the last ten years. The four I have had, between 1994 and now, have cost $600, $900, $6500 and the latest/final one will be at around $12,000-ish plus a lot of work.

Westfalias are popular and cost double or more what a standard Kombi is. Searching out in the sticks for one and doing some work is required, unless you want to drop $25K+. The 75 my buddy is selling has lots of dings and dents, but is virtually rust free, especially structurally, and complete. It is ready to camp in now, with a good cleaning. Given the exchange rate US to Canadian, you could have it for about $4K US plus a plane ticket and gas home!

I remember watching this happen in the Musclecar world too. The whining and crying in the late 80's when prices took off. "Oh my, a hemi went for $20K, the hobby is over, regular guys are out of it!" Now ANY Hemi tends to be six figures. Parts I tossed in the mud at wrecking yards are now expensive unobtanium. It is the normal cycle for collector items. For those of us that lived the "good old days" it is disheartening, but it is a sign of success for our hobby. Those of us that had the luxury of buying cheap used vehicles and hanging onto them for years are the lucky ones and those that see our lovely rides and want one too are going to have to make sow's ears into silk purses.

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Blues... and crack prices Reply with quote

Fat stacks are required for sweet tracks. Nothing new.
gsun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Blues... and crack prices Reply with quote

Busses are like houses. To build a bus back to original shape is a shitload of money and time. Mine cost way too much, not counting the hundreds of hours I have into it. Houses are going up all the time because if you try and build a new one, the cost is staggering. You can buy a dump and fix it up and the same thing will apply as in a bus. I am finishing off ky new house and bus at the same time. Anybody want to donate money? I'm broke!
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Blues... and crack prices Reply with quote

The chevy corvair vans are still cheap.Get one/few, before the prices go up.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bay Window Blues... and crack prices Reply with quote

ccowx wrote:
Those of us that had the luxury of buying cheap used vehicles and hanging onto them for years are the lucky ones and those that see our lovely rides and want one too are going to have to make sow's ears into silk purses.

Chris

yes, no, maybe...

we may be at the peak, or slightly past it but still "in range" if you will of the peak.

as a kid of the 80's I agree about your hemi comparison...I mean I can vividly remember brass era (run of the mill, mind you) stuff for sale in the low to mid 20's.... now you can buy a fully restored model T for 10k.

when the collectors age out, so do prices. I remember radio collectors paying huge $$ for radios...now you can't give them away.

it's all cyclical

so that begs the question....do you sell now seeing prices are high, yet stable or do you roll the dice and hope for a bigger payout?

for me, I've never been in it for the money, save for a flip here and there. i'm a lifer and at the end of the day I don't care what they are worth...they were worthless when I started, they can be worthless when I finish is the way I see it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: